Nisbett prepared to give up second Derby for fairer draw

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't forget bigger lists, I said it would result in 180 (based on a guess of 10 more players per team - you haven't said what they'd be increased to) extra players coming into the league and lowering the overall standard.

There'd be extra games obviously but how many of them are going to be dead rubbers in the second half of the season between teams that can't make finals, have sent their best players off for surgery, have a host of others injured and have had to stack their side with those guys who've only got into the league because of the expanded lists?

Think of the fans of bottom six or eight sides who know by week 10 that they're not making finals this year and are just filling in time until the season ends. Then imagine that extending out another three months.

More isn't always better.
many questions, perhaps BF isn't the place. Regardless, i deal in creative concepts and ideas. Detail is for later/others.

I didn't forget bigger lists, I said it would result in 180 (based on a guess of 10 more players per team - you haven't said what they'd be increased to) extra players coming into the league and lowering the overall standard.

There'd be extra games obviously but how many of them are going to be dead rubbers in the second half of the season between teams that can't make finals, have sent their best players off for surgery, have a host of others injured and have had to stack their side with those guys who've only got into the league because of the expanded lists?

Think of the fans of bottom six or eight sides who know by week 10 that they're not making finals this year and are just filling in time until the season ends. Then imagine that extending out another three months.

More isn't always better.
Interesting discussion folks. Can't see 38 week season happening for reasons mostly stated already, but get Goosecat's POV regarding AFL and sports across the world. Not sure if I'd give up on my side after 10 rounds if it was a 38 round season though...would be interesting. Expanded lists I can see the merits of, though can't see that as a prerogative for the players association, of course. Fixtures seem to be a little ad hoc at the moment, but I'm not sure how that can be fixed if 'clash games' are kept. Think Soze might be closest to the mark in that regard, but see merit in many other opinions. That includes Mr Nesbitt's regarding derbies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back