Review Nisbett's Email Discussion

When do we get the next email?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nissy digging into the "reserves"
pw scrooge GIF

He makes implied reference to Covid again as pretty the first paragraph in the email. They clearly still think this is a valid excuse in their own minds. It may sound ridiculous to us but i think we can conclude that the people running the club really believe it and think we take it seriously aswell. The other notable thing about the email is what it doesn't say - no discussion of the future, no referencing or explaining what the plan and thinking is going forward, no discussion of any change within the club, no rah rah pom pom waving sloganeering for next year. Nothing. He sends a communication to his members/customers right at the time of year when they are all deciding whether to buy the product he is selling again for 2023 and he can't be bothered to do any kind of basic sales pitch at all. A psychiatrist would find that very interesting. It is generally assumed that people who don't talk about the future it is because they fear it and think there is nothing positive about or that gives them positive feelings when they talk or think about it. It is really bizarre and hard to understand what is going on inside the club at the moment.

As for the price freeze, i would say if we can't get rid of them then how about Nesbitt, Simpson and maybe a few others take a 50% pay cut as penance for being so **** at their jobs and making so many mistakes. That would be a great way to start paying for the price freeze.

Last edited:
The sentence before was enough - "we're please to announce a price freeze for 2023".

The follow-up "we'll take the hit for you" was unnecessary and fishing for gratitude.

Hard for Nissie to read the room with his head up his own anus I guess.
Yeah, the line about digging into their financial reserves was such BS. The club makes a profit every year, less profit doesn't mean you had to go into the bank account to pay.
So many ungrateful fans in this thread.

Clearly none of you have had to feel the pain of watching your bank account go from 9 figures to 8 before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I ask why you got Essendon players as your username. What's the story behind it.
If a person was to get permanently banned and the only viable account left was a burner from the Essendon saga days used to * with Essendon fans, that would be some real s**t.

Wasn't me though, definitely didn't happen to my accounts.

Not exactly an email but this interview definitely sends a defiant message that Nisbett doesn’t intend on going anywhere.

Onfield woes aside an operating surplus of ~$6m (about half that going to the WAFC) is kinda impressive

Interesting that he puts it on the players that they didn’t come back for 2022 in good enough shape which I believe is a reimagining of what happened to an extent

Seems quite bullish on our chances in the short term which is contrary to most outside expectations but is in line with a theme of resolve from within the club to do better that has come through a lot of media with players and coaches over the off season

Glad that the intention will be to hit the draft again in 2023

I doubt anyone will change their views on Nisbett after reading this

Last edited:

West Coast Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett discusses bumper surplus, fitness issues in 2022 and his own plans for the future​

Never in his 24 years as West Coast Eagles CEO has Trevor Nisbett faced criticism like in 2022. He speaks to MARK DUFFIELD about how he plans to fight back.

West Coast endured the year from hell on-field in 2022 but continued as a financial powerhouse off it, with the club set to declare an operating surplus of approximately $6 million.
The result has come despite a two-win season and one home game attendance restricted to 50% capacity due to Covid-19 restrictions.

In a wide-ranging interview with CODE Sports, Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett:
* Conceded too many players returned for the 2022 pre-season not fit enough

* Acknowledged there had been calls for his head but backed himself to be part of a climb up the ladder as chief executive for the next two years

* Labelled stability a cornerstone of West Coast’s success over its 36-year history and vowed the club would always aim to retain an experienced support staff

Board, not critics, will decide tenure​

Nisbett’s confidence comes despite a year in which Perth’s metropolitan daily newspaper called for his replacement.

“People calling for heads started last year and my head is obviously the one that The West Australian has been after,” he said.

“I am not sure that will change regardless of how we go. There are people who believe that change is really important. Some change is. It is a matter of how you prioritise that and whether you have enough ideas to keep improving.

“Our goal has always been to play finals. I think we have usually achieved that over our history. Our players, our staff, everyone involved in our club won’t be sitting back thinking this is okay. Last year was a terrible year and we need to fix that. I don’t think it rocked the club. Some people were saying the club is in disarray, that people were shattered. I don’t agree with that. Our club has always had an opportunity to regroup.

“It doesn’t mean you throw everyone out and start again.”

“We have been a stable football club, even through tumultuous times. Our stability stems from our experience through our staff and the experience on the board. That has given us a mandate to maintain control in all sorts of circumstances.”

Nisbett said the West Coast board would ultimately determine his future.

“This year we are all about progress,” he continued. “I think I can see us through climbing the ladder. I think there is opportunity for us in the next two years to climb quickly. Regardless of what other people think the board will make a decision on my tenure and others based on the results we get on and off the field. That is always the case in the industry and it always has been.

“I am very confident that we can turn this around and our expectations are very high. We would like to improve rapidly and I think we can.”

The Eagles have had just two chief executives since the start of the 1990 season when Brian Cook took charge. Nisbett succeeded him in the role after the 1998 season and has been at the helm for 24 years, but has never had his position challenged more than it has been in the past season.

“The longer your tenure the more pressure you are under if things aren’t going smoothly,” he said.

“Often people think change is a good thing and that might be the case but we have a board that makes those decisions.

“It is for others to judge but from my point of view stability and having long term staff members around the club helps with the culture of the club.

“For young people who come in to understand what we stand for and what we try to achieve. I may be right or wrong but that is what I believe.

“Our senior people here have stood the test of time.

“There have been other clubs where change has happened constantly with little or no result. It is not the way to run a footy club.”

Richmond is a prime example of what could happen when a club opted to stand its ground against unrest and resist the chaos and upheaval that had engulfed the Tigers between their 1982 grand final loss to Carlton and their 2017 premiership, Nisbett added.

Players challenged after year from hell​

Nisbett said the 2022 season was heavily impacted by Covid-19 and injury complications, which engulfed the club before round one and were ever-present for half the season.

That said, Nisbett conceded players had not returned from their breaks in the best shape and challenged them to be more professional this year.

He has been pleased with the outcome so far.

“Last year’s circumstances were something that I don’t think anyone has experienced in football when you play 47 players in a season and have the run with Covid and injury that we had,” he said.

“Having said that we were still disappointed in some areas we felt we could control.”

“We put some onus on the player group because we don’t see them for three months to come back as fit as they possibly could and they have.

“The season, as bad as it was, was exacerbated by the fact that we weren’t fit enough when the players came back and it meant that we were continually chasing our tail anyway.

“We think we can improve markedly from where we were last year.

“That is going to be up to our coaches and players to make sure that happens.

“It’s our aim. We are very happy with the numbers we have had on the track.

“We have consistently had 37 or 38 players training which we haven’t had for a number of years.

“We are very pleased with that.”

Nisbett said the Eagles list build would be ongoing and the club would go back to the draft again in 2023.

“We have got a first-round pick, two seconds and two thirds,” he continued.

“We are in the top two or three clubs for draft opportunity again next year and we will be going back to the draft.

“You top up the team with the role players you think you need when you think you are ready. That is something we have always been focused on and that we are proud of.”

Confidence took a big hit​

Nisbett said the inability to prepare a squad properly and bed down a new game plan had sapped confidence from coach Adam Simpson in 2022.

“I am sure at times Adam and others – it has affected their confidence and they question themselves – am I doing the right thing?” Nisbett said.

“I really felt for him last year because Adam didn’t have the opportunity to change to the strategy he wanted to play with because he sometimes had 15 players training.

“It is very hard to implement a game plan with a few players on the track regularly.

“We need to rebuild that confidence and believe in what we are doing. I think they are confident in what they think they can achieve.

“Others may see it differently to us but we can only go on what we feel inside of the organisation.”

$6 Million surplus despite ruined season​

Nisbett said the financial result was an indication of strong ongoing support from West Coast’s fans, corporates and members and the club would look to reach out to them strongly this year after three seasons affected by Covid-19.

“We had a very good year considering team performance,” he said.

“I think most people will be very pleased with the financial result given what we were doing on field.

“It is a credit to the members supporters and corporates who stuck with us.

“The prediction is we are going to be around $6 million (in surplus) which will mean we will pay close to a $3 million royalty to the WA Football Commission again.

“Our bottom line profit is probably going to end up between $3 million and $3.5 million which I think is a pretty good result given the season that we had and where we were at with performance.”

Corporates, not members, decide fate of the club

Seen some of our members?

You really want them having a say in the management of the club. How’d that going for a club like Essendon for example

We’ve had a poor run in recent seasons and Nisbett is approaching, arguably past, his use by date but stability is important. I’d prefer that over the chaos we see at some Victorian clubs

You think Hardwick would still have been coach at Richmond after 2016 if the members there had their say?

Seen some of our members?

You really want them having a say in the management of the club. How’d that going for a club like Essendon for example

We’ve had a poor run in recent seasons and Nisbett is approaching, arguably past, his use by date but stability is important. I’d prefer that over the chaos we see at some Victorian clubs

You think Hardwick would still have been coach at Richmond after 2016 if the members there had their say?
Two bad examples doesn’t mean members should never have a say in the management of the club they pay membership fees for.

I don’t really have an insight into how these clubs should and shouldn’t be governed, but I don’t particularly like the idea that members just get an annual survey that gets thrown in the bin, whilst revenue becomes the sole determinant of the board’s appraisal of the CEO.

I guess I’d feel more comfortable with the club being run a little bit more like a club than a for-profit company.

It’d probably mean we make less profit but it’d increase my satisfaction as a fan - and ultimately sport exists primarily for that purpose, not to maximise revenue.

If Nizzys bullish outlook rings true in the next season or two there might be a few people eating their hats. Whether he's overstayed his welcome or not, I think kudos will be granted if he's right.

Richmond fans vote on board members, as do virtually every other club.

No ones saying every decision the club makes should be a member poll, but if the club was required to actually worry about what the members thought instead of pretending that people not wanting to lose their seats was a seal of approval, then maybe they'd stop taking all the fans for granted by not bothering to tell us about injuries or when the coach is signed to, or ******* around with the jumpers (pre RTW) and song, putting the bare minimum into social media and so on

Back