Portfolio Nitpicking Club Logos

Remove this Banner Ad

This popped into my head over the weekend. I'm not even sure if I'd be for a change of the league logo, seeing as how it has transcended into iconic status.
View attachment 611876
The shield is the first iteration of the AFL logo, just skewed, and the goalposts give a vague outline of Northern Australia (massive reach).
The current one is edging toward 20 years now - you'd think it's fairly overdue for change.
Comes down to opinion really doesn't it?

To me it looks tacky and dated. Others may disagree
It may be time for an refresh, but I'm not sure how it could be improved. I think it's fine as it is. Don't make Arnott's mistake and fix something that wasn't broken
I feel like ******* up the amazing flavour of BBQ shapes is different to changing a bloated 20-year old logo of a sports competition
I wouldn’t change the afl logo. Maybe refine it, but it’s pretty straight forward. It’s in the shape of a footy, with stitching at the top in the shape of goals.

Don’t change what’s broken. The nrls constant changes is embarrassing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When looking at changing the AFL logo we should look at the changes in International Competitions Logos and see how much they change.
Here is a comparison of the AFL logo with that of the NFL, the NBA and Major League Baseball.

The NFL logo has changed 6 times since 1930, but the same items can still be found except for the stripes.
The NBA logo changed in 1969 to the logo we know today except for a change in 2017.
The Major League Baseball logo was introduced in 1969. Two changes have occured with the colours going darker and the words disappearing.

The AFL logo changed in 2000 because it didn't say AFL. Before that we had the two shield logos back to 1977. The best thing for the AFL logo to do is to make minor changes to the present logo. These three competitions have shown that keeping the same style of logo for the competition is the way to go.

Here are some club logos that I have changed.
Adelaide

Brisbane

Essendon

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide

SAFL South Australian Football League (now SANFL)

Here is a Collingwood logo that someone designed last year.

When looking at changing the AFL logo we should look at the changes in International Competitions Logos and see how much they change.
Here is a comparison of the AFL logo with that of the NFL, the NBA and Major League Baseball.

The NFL logo has changed 6 times since 1930, but the same items can still be found except for the stripes.
The NBA logo changed in 1969 to the logo we know today except for a change in 2017.
The Major League Baseball logo was introduced in 1969. Two changes have occured with the colours going darker and the words disappearing.

The AFL logo changed in 2000 because it didn't say AFL. Before that we had the two shield logos back to 1977. The best thing for the AFL logo to do is to make minor changes to the present logo. These three competitions have shown that keeping the same style of logo for the competition is the way to go.

Here are some club logos that I have changed.
Adelaide

Brisbane

Essendon

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide

SAFL South Australian Football League (now SANFL)

Here is a Collingwood logo that someone designed last year.
I think that Collingwood logo is miles ahead of what they have (apart from the text) as it symbolises the stands at Victoria Park, with the standing room on the grass being the empty part.

I guess this can act as a thread to share some of my AFL logo ideas - It would save future me from creating a thread every half year for a half baked logo idea.

As soon as the current Dees' logo was unveiled, a lot of people around here remarked at how awkward the shield and word mark go with the (imo) timeless monogram. The logo feels disjointed, with the three elements having seemingly no design correlations. The shield feels overly modern, especially with that sharp shape around the bottom of the crest, and the word mark feels like an after thought - almost like they chose the first font that shows up on illustrator.

So I decided to have a go at harmonising the mark, matching the shield and word mark to the traditional monogram. Inspiration comes from the coat of arms of the City of Melbourne, as seen on the St Kilda Road Princes Bridge.
1ebd4f18-cdc8-40eb-a07a-dba2ba5966c1_l.jpg

View attachment 603835
So much better. But I wonder whether having "F.C. 1858" instead of "Football Club" would improve it. The numbers look awkward, i.m.h.o.

Not sure about the tail (are they called tails?) but I feel like without the red and yellow it'll work better on its own. Reminds me of the crow in the Japan football team logo.
Nice catch, I had the Japanese logo on my mood board as I was redrawing it. I feel like there's something about the tail as well, but I can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?

Nice catch, I had the Japanese logo on my mood board as I was redrawing it. I feel like there's something about the tail as well, but I can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?
The original crow's tail had straight lines and matched the direction of the talons, maybe try to work closer with that (just to a lesser extent?).
It's a weird shape in the original crow but worked so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the overall shape and I think this is definitely the right direction for a Crows logo. I do think you've got some issues with the wing and how it flows together though, it's not really balanced there.

One suggestion: Have the blue section at the top of the wing the same thickness as the red and yellow. I'd probably make the red and yellow smaller to achieve this.

Could you please do a redesign for the North Melbourne logo? I'm thinking that a combination of the 'Bounding Roo' and 'NMFC Crest' Would work well together.

Could you please do a redesign for the North Melbourne logo? I'm thinking that a combination of the 'Bounding Roo' and 'NMFC Crest' Would work well together.

threw this together a while ago. i'm not in love with it but it's pretty much exactly what you described
NMFCwithKangaroo_1.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back