Other Nitro Athletics

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Overall - I like the concept. Some of the events are a bit 'out there' (the bonus points for the field events aren't very exciting, but I'm not sure just what you can do with them). The track relays and combined events are great (all relays are the best). Ok - there are a few (plenty) of kinks to be ironed out, but overall the events are much better for spectators than the standard set. Maybe some of the wacky interviews etc, need work (ie toning down).

I see this having a future as a way of presenting the sport. For example - imagine a 6-team comp (states, probably), with an event in each capital city. You'd draw a far bigger crowd than the current Australian Grand Prix meets. Imagine a Euro franchise-based league! (ok, I'm dreaming).

It will be interesting to see the international reaction. I had a quick look at Track and Field forums (US-based) and there was a fair bit of 'Harrumph! Circus! In My day...' etc. Just basically substitute 'Nitro Aths' for 'T20' or 'Night Football' and it's the same argument.

Watched the whole last night on tv.
It was very entertaining and if it did not clash with the launch of AFL Women's League would have been even bigger success.
Maybe do it more in a month's time would be even better timing. I think if they did a state's teams version a month ahead of Nitro series that would build up to the Nitro series even more and that be the international level of it.

I have a lot of time for what I saw and if more people became aware of it, it could really take off here and get bigger sponsorship and attract even more international stars. Having said that, it does not get any bigger than Bolt. Clement was there too. I loved it and channel & had their A team of athletics there to do it justice.

Reckon it will only get bigger next year and I'd love to see them install a state team's version of it a month prior to it. It is just a great idea to make athletics be way more than just a sport for individuals.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I did some Little Aths coaching on Saturday and there quite a few kids going (ages 9/10/11-ish). And talking about it, being excited etc. Ok, maybe they were only going for the dancing and the fireworks and the crowd chanting. So what? They never go to a normal Grand Prix meeting (occasionally will go to Zatopek, but that has relays from the Senior Club. Teams, see?).

Most parents were interested, and at least talking about it.

It did what it set out to do. Got attention, provided a decent night's entertainment, showed that running, throwing and jumping could be exciting. It didn't bomb and people are talking about doing it again. We'll see.

Oh, and there were no walking events:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back