Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I might "gender reassign" any PC tool that tries to take them off me.

With so many caveats in place for us to get things done.. AFLW joint branding coz we're not here for the cash, pokie free revenue coz we're community, dry zones coz we're community etc we might need to rebrand as the North Melbourne Cavies FC.

This cute little fella - the South American Cavy - will be our new mascot.

250px-Mara.jpg

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually can't remember the last time a Mod took the bat out.

Thoughts on Brad Scott extension?

Sorry, I was a bit frustrated that day because I was so excited about getting a women's team I found a lot of the negativity in here just bummed me out. That ******* DAMOOOO didn't even mention it in his Sliding Doors article was even more irritating - someone has to be positive.

Anyway, re: Brad Scott, I was in favour of trying something new, but this is the direction the club have gone with so I'll reserve my judgement and see how the rebuild tracks I guess. I'm on the fence

I don't think anyone really believes this is the first step to relocation. More that this will feed the naysayers who will see it that way. More fuel for their fires.
Of course not but how s**t does that Tassie Jumper look? Seriously the club can come on here ye and attempt to polish this turd 10 ways to Sunday but sadly it is still a Turd. C'mon Funky Carl and co, give the Women what they deserve. A True North Melbourne Football Club to represent. :stern look

NINE of the 10 Victorian AFL clubs will field VFL Women's sides in 2018, with the announcement of six new licences on Wednesday.

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda will have VFLW teams in their own right for the first time next year.

North Melbourne will not have a standalone women's team but has an existing connection with VFLW side Melbourne Uni.

The Western Bulldogs have strengthened its existing connection with VU Western Spurs, and the VFLW side will be known as the Western Bulldogs, while the Spurs' other four sides will continue under their own name.

It was announced in August that Melbourne will field a side through its existing affiliation with Casey Demons, taking over Cranbourne's VFLW licence.

St Kilda will be known as the Southern Saints, after the Seaford Tigerettes transferred its licence to the club.

Hawthorn (through Box Hill) and Geelong played their debut seasons in the VFLW this year, and will once again field sides in 2018.

Williamstown is the sixth side to be granted a 2018 licence.

Collingwood has already announced former Magpie Penny Cula-Reid, who was not offered an AFLW contract for 2018, will coach the club's VFLW side.

Cula-Reid had a 13-year career at VFLW-level, playing for and captaining St Kilda Sharks (no affiliation with St Kilda Saints).

The changes come as the VFLW competition, which has long been the domain of community clubs with no AFL affiliations, seeks to bridge the gap between it and the AFLW.

Other VFLW sides, such as Darebin, Diamond Creek and Eastern Devils, will have the opportunity to decide whether to continue in the top tier of Victorian women's footy, with a final team structure for 2018 due to be announced at the end of October.

Confirmed 2018 VFLW sides:

• Box Hill
  • Carlton
  • Casey Demons
  • Essendon
  • Geelong
  • Richmond
  • Southern Saints
  • Western Bulldogs
  • Williamstown

Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors, Arsenal FC
D
NINE of the 10 Victorian AFL clubs will field VFL Women's sides in 2018, with the announcement of six new licences on Wednesday.

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda will have VFLW teams in their own right for the first time next year.

North Melbourne will not have a standalone women's team but has an existing connection with VFLW side Melbourne Uni.

The Western Bulldogs have strengthened its existing connection with VU Western Spurs, and the VFLW side will be known as the Western Bulldogs, while the Spurs' other four sides will continue under their own name.

It was announced in August that Melbourne will field a side through its existing affiliation with Casey Demons, taking over Cranbourne's VFLW licence.

St Kilda will be known as the Southern Saints, after the Seaford Tigerettes transferred its licence to the club.

Hawthorn (through Box Hill) and Geelong played their debut seasons in the VFLW this year, and will once again field sides in 2018.

Williamstown is the sixth side to be granted a 2018 licence.

Collingwood has already announced former Magpie Penny Cula-Reid, who was not offered an AFLW contract for 2018, will coach the club's VFLW side.

Cula-Reid had a 13-year career at VFLW-level, playing for and captaining St Kilda Sharks (no affiliation with St Kilda Saints).

The changes come as the VFLW competition, which has long been the domain of community clubs with no AFL affiliations, seeks to bridge the gap between it and the AFLW.

Other VFLW sides, such as Darebin, Diamond Creek and Eastern Devils, will have the opportunity to decide whether to continue in the top tier of Victorian women's footy, with a final team structure for 2018 due to be announced at the end of October.

Confirmed 2018 VFLW sides:

• Box Hill
  • Carlton
  • Casey Demons
  • Essendon
  • Geelong
  • Richmond
  • Southern Saints
  • Western Bulldogs
  • Williamstown
Did they miss Melbourne Uni on the list at the end?

Saintly_

All Australian
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course not but how s**t does that Tassie Jumper look? C'mon Funky Carl and co, give the Women what they deserve. A True North Melbourne Football Club to represent. :stern look

I think the Tassie jumper looks great.

Retains our colours and has a minor Tasmanian influence to represent locals.

This will be an interesting test case with a transgender woman looking to enter the AFLW for next year, as usual, the AFL hasn't anticipated that it was going to happen and has no policy on it.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...l/news-story/123a463e71aa3c4b9bbd634724ce8f75

This is an interesting thing they talk about, testosterone level, that hers has reduced significantly since her treatment is lower than a lot of girls currently, I assume medically induced. It also talks about the IOC thresholds. From my non-qualified understanding on biology, and having a look at a few studies, they suggest that testosterone itself doesn't build mass, however, it increases muscle protein synthesis and is why generally, men develop with larger bodies through muscular hypertrophy.

There is also a significant difference in bone density between men and women, one study which looked at sets of twins of opposite sexes recorded significant differences in bone mass and a small difference in bone density.

While cutting back testosterone, as far as I am aware, will reduce the body's ability to repair and build muscle strength, the birth gender and the period of time with elevated testosterone will produce effects which can't naturally be reversed. Mouncey will always be significantly larger than any born/lived female that was of the same genetic disposition (apart from gender). The article does state there are advantages (size/strength) but disadvantages (running ability).

I think if she was to be used as a female equivalent of a Plugger (or for a modern version Hawkins) you could potentially exploit the strength while reducing your exposure to the weakness.

I wish her all the best and hope the AFL allows transgendered to participate, however, I think the IOC was pressured to make political decisions rather than scientific decisions and I am not quite sure if they have a level playing field in all sports. I think AFL is a bit different because strength and size isn't everything, however, if I could choose between having my brother on my team after 2 years starved of testosterone or one of my sisters on my team, it would be a no brainer for me, I'd take converted brother because that period of time preceding the change can't be undone... and one of my sisters competed in full contact karate competitions.

I just wonder if it is possible to get the playing field totally even.

Last edited:

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This will be an interesting test case with a transgender woman looking to enter the AFLW for next year, as usual, the AFL hasn't anticipated that it was going to happen and has no policy on it.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...l/news-story/123a463e71aa3c4b9bbd634724ce8f75

This is an interesting thing they talk about, testosterone level, that hers has reduced significantly since her treatment is lower than a lot of girls currently, I assume medically induced. It also talks about the IOC thresholds. From my non-qualified understanding on biology, and having a look at a few studies, they suggest that testosterone itself doesn't build mass, however, it increases muscle protein synthesis and is why generally, men develop with larger bodies through muscular hypertrophy.

There is also a significant difference in bone density between men and women, one study which looked at sets of twins of opposite sexes recorded significant differences in bone mass and a small difference in bone density.

While cutting back testosterone, as far as I am aware, will reduce the body's ability to repair and build muscle strength, the birth gender and the period of time with elevated testosterone will produce effects which can't naturally be reversed. Mouncey will always be significantly larger than any born/lived female that was of the same genetic disposition (apart from gender). The article does state there are advantages (size/strength) but disadvantages (running ability).

I think if she was to be used as a female equivalent of a Plugger (or for a modern version Hawkins) you could potentially exploit the strength while reducing your exposure to the weakness.

I wish her all the best and hope the AFL allows transgendered to participate, however, I think the IOC was pressured to made political decisions rather than scientific decisions and I am not quite sure if they have a level playing field in all sports. I think AFL is a bit different because strength and size isn't everything, however, if I could choose between having my brother on my team after 2 years starved of testosterone or one of my sisters on my team, it would be a no brainer for me, I'd take converted brother because that period of time preceding the change can't be undone... and one of my sisters competed in full contact karate competitions.

I just wonder if it is possible to get the playing field totally even.
Far out, she's a big unit......Are we a chance to pick her up?

Far out, she's a big unit......Are we a chance to pick her up?

Unless the AFL say she is ineligible then she will go in the draft and will be highly sought after.

Surely Joycey and McMahon are all over this......

Only if a midfielder...

Can you imagine though, Ben Brown go through the treatment and be available in 2 years to play in the AFLW? His massive size would be a huge advantage. But I guess you never now, without the testosterone perhaps his body would collapse like a Jenga game.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only if a midfielder...

Can you imagine though, Ben Brown go through the treatment and be available in 2 years to play in the AFLW? His massive size would be a huge advantage. But I guess you never now, without the testosterone perhaps his body would collapse like a Jenga game.
Indeed... We could dominate the AFLW for years to come. Would he be be up for it do you reckon? If he's a true Shinboner he's willing to risk some saggy bitch **** for the greater good of the club....

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have one ******* thread to talk about women's footy and now it's been turned into a discussion that belongs in the Tasmania thread. Please.
Good point. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back