News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a good thing - having a women's team to support.
Better to our girls getting attracted to a pies or blues team
I reckon it would be better if our Women could play for a true North Melbourne. Not some Joint Venture. :stern look

FWIW when I spoke to my 7 year old (boy) yesterday about how we might be able to go to games at Arden St next year he said that it was because we are getting a girls team. I wouldn't have expected him to even know about this - he doesn't consume football yet and it's mostly driven by us.

Just an anecdote about how this might have far reaching benefits that we might not expect.

FWIW when I spoke to my 7 year old (boy) yesterday about how we might be able to go to games at Arden St next year he said that it was because we are getting a girls team. I wouldn't have expected him to even know about this - he doesn't consume football yet and it's mostly driven by us.

Just an anecdote about how this might have far reaching benefits that we might not expect.

SM my twenty year old is bitter he never got to see games at Arden Street (we live in NM) - he is excited by the idea as well

I'm interested to see how the 2019 expansion is going to work, giving that the 2017 kick-off pretty much distributed the best talent around the inaugural clubs.

I doubt they will cancel all contracts and have a new draft from scratch, so the inaugural clubs will have a bit of an advantage. And hopefully it isn't a 1925 style "you get nothing - deal with it" approach either.

Hopefully there's some kind of middle ground - maybe some draft priorities for the incoming clubs a la GWS and GC, plus some incentives to get some current players to move across to the new clubs.

AFL blocks Mouncey from entering the draft this year but can re-apply next year. I think the reasoning they gave makes them vulnerable to a discrimination lawsuit but it doesn't seem like she will make waves.

From The Age. I like the bolded part as long as it the points scheme isn’t a crock.

North Melbourne poised to announce Carlton assistant Scott Gowans as first AFLW coach

North Melbourne are close to announcing their inaugural AFLW coach, with Carlton assistant Scott Gowans expected to be confirmed in the job.

The Roos don't enter the league until 2019, but are understood to be well advanced in some of their decision-making. It's understood this includes the appointment of Gowans, who was part of the Blues' panel under senior coach Damien Keeping in the first season of the women's league this year, helping Carlton to a fourth-place finish with three wins, three losses and a draw.
Gowans, highly rated in women's football circles, has also been the coach of Diamond Creek in the VFL women's league, taking the Creekers to the grand final, where they lost to powerhouse Darebin Falcons.

He has also coached the AFL Victoria Country youth girls team, as well as leading local club Longwarry.

Due to North's affiliation with Melbourne University women's football club, there had been a view Andrew Jago – who coached that club in 2017 – would get the North role. However Jago is understood to have fallen out of favour, leaving Gowans in the box seat.

North, along with Geelong, were last month granted licenses for the first round of AFLW expansion, with the competition set to expand to 10 clubs in 2019. The Roos' bid was made jointly with Tasmania, with the club set to play some home games in the Apple Isle. The four existing Victorian clubs – Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs – will need to give up between two and four players each to the expansion clubs under a player ratings points scheme revealed last week by Fairfax Media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon a lot of the Melb Uni team will want to play together. We could be very good.
Yeah but seeing that this is a Joint Venture, expect many of the Melbourne Uni Girls to miss out in preference to some of the Map based Girls with lesser talent and quite frankly I don't think that's very fair. :stern look

Scott Gowans appointed North AFLW coach
nmfc.com.au

24 October 2017 11:17 AM

Scott Gowans has been appointed Senior Coach of North Melbourne’s inaugural AFLW side.

The appointment comes with the news there's a strong likelihood North, will field a team in the VFL Women’s competition for the 2019 season, alongside its AFLW side.

Having recently been granted an AFLW licence, the Kangaroos continue to go from strength to strength, this time as a result of their long-standing relationship with Melbourne University Women’s Football Club (MUWFC).

Gowans, former Assistant Coach of Carlton, will lead MUWFC’s senior side next season. The club will continue to work in consultation with AFL Victoria, endeavouring to enter a team into the 2019 competition. The interim period allowing North to prepare for its fourth team, following the addition of a men's VFL side in 2018 and AFLW side in 2019.

Since 2012, Gowans accumulated extensive experience as a senior coach in women’s football, including Diamond Creek and Vic Country Youth Girls.

North Melbourne Football Operations Manager Laura Kane said the groundwork laid in 2010 with MUWFC is paying dividends.

“North Melbourne showed great foresight and leadership when it entered into a meaningful and unique partnership with Melbourne Uni back in 2010," Kane said.

"Our AFLW side and now this VFLW announcement for 2019 is a testament to that strong and mutually beneficial relationship. Both clubs continue to develop together and are growing women's football like never before.

“The appointment of Scott will bring a new level of experience and expertise and allow us to be competitive upon our arrival into the women’s competition, it is a really exciting time for the club and everyone involved.”

MUWFC will continue to compete in the VFLW next year as one of the few teams not completely aligned to an AFL or VFL organisation.

“It's great that our enduring relationship has created a pathway to allow MUWFC to continue to compete in the VFLW next year," Kane added.

“It’s another opportunity for women and girls in our community to progress and excel, from the youth sides at MUWFC through to the VFLW and potentially the North Melbourne AFLW side.”

1170285.jpg

Women's team will one of the best things to happen with us.

The $$$ it will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back