News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon the intrusion.

Scott is a great get!

Really good bloke who knows his stuff.

We coached at the same junior club together. Learnt a heap off him during our year coaching under 16s!

Teaches the game very very well!

Of course not but how s**t does that Tassie Jumper look? Seriously the club can come on here ye and attempt to polish this turd 10 ways to Sunday but sadly it is still a Turd. C'mon Funky Carl and co, give the Women what they deserve. A True North Melbourne Football Club to represent. :stern look

I agree that the jumper is sacrilegious but in this instance recognising commercial partnerships via the womens team is a sound business decision.

11117_AFLWLarge.jpg

We have a licence and we have a coach, so what’s next to come for North Melbourne in AFLW?

As we progress through to Round 1 in 2019, NMFC.com.au will keep you up-to-date with all you need to know from the first recruit, to the very first game.

Here’s some fundamentals to get you prepared for North's inaugural AFLW team in 2019.

Who is the coach?
Scott Gowans, former Assistant Coach of Carlton’s AFLW team will coach the inaugural side. The well-known coach’s resume includes leading Diamond Creek into the VFL Women’s Grand Final in September and coaching the AFL Victoria Country youth girls team.

Which teams are currently in the competition?
There are currently 8 AFLW teams – Adelaide Crows, Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane Lions, GWS Giants, Melbourne, Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs.

In 2019 the competition will expand with North Melbourne and Geelong fielding teams.

The following year, in 2020, West Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and Gold Coast Suns will enter the competition.

When does the season start and how does it work?
Pre-season commences in November, with the season running from February through to March. Fixtures will be announced next year.

In the inaugural year, each of the eight teams plays each other once in a seven-week season. This will change in 2019 with the addition of North and Geelong.

How do the finals work?
After the home and away season finishes, the top two teams play off in the grand final. Once again, this is subject to change, potentially with the inclusion of finals, with the addition of two new teams.

How will we build our playing list?
The AFL is currently consulting with all existing and expansion clubs about list movement for the 2019 AFLW season. We’ll likely see the first influx of current AFLW-listed players in a sign and trade period at the completion of the 2018 AFLW season, in April next year.

We’ll also be looking to sign mature-age talent from those who haven’t played AFLW before, particularly cross-code athletes and Tasmanian talent. The remainder of our list will then be built via the AFLW draft in October 2018, with any priority picks, number of picks and draft order to be decided by the AFL post the 2018 AFLW season.

How many players per team?
Each team has a squad of 30 players, including two marquee players and three rookies.

On game day, each team fields 16 players, six on the bench and three emergencies.

How long are the quarters?
Each quarter is 15 minutes long plus time for a goal or injury, therefore approximately 20 minutes all up. The duration including breaks is two hours.

What are the interchange rules?
Unlike the men’s competition, there are uncapped rotations – this is to account for the heat throughout February and March when the season is played.

Are the rules modified from the men’s competition?
The ball is slightly smaller with a Sherrin size 4.

Where will games be played?
Considering the licence has recently been granted, North will continue working with the AFL, AFL Tasmania and the Government of Tasmania to work out the logistics of where games are held between Victoria and Tasmania.

How many Tasmanian players will we field?
Whilst this all depends on the recruiting and drafting process, the aim is to eventually have half of the team represented by Tasmanian talent.

What does the partnership with Tasmania mean?
The partnership with Tasmania is a way to represent the state in the AFLW competition and is a further commitment from North Melbourne to the state of Tasmania. We’re committed to developing the talent pool, representing the state on the national stage and playing games in the state from 2019.

Register with the link below for Membership updates.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/afl/aflw/sign-up-for-aflw-updates

How will we build our playing list?
The AFL is currently consulting with all existing and expansion clubs about list movement for the 2019 AFLW season. We’ll likely see the first influx of current AFLW-listed players in a sign and trade period at the completion of the 2018 AFLW season, in April next year.

We’ll also be looking to sign mature-age talent from those who haven’t played AFLW before, particularly cross-code athletes and Tasmanian talent. The remainder of our list will then be built via the AFLW draft in October 2018, with any priority picks, number of picks and draft order to be decided by the AFL post the 2018 AFLW season.
Surely the model for expansion clubs is already there GWS and Gold Coast:
North get Picks 1, 3 ,4,5,7,9,11, 16 in the first 2 rounds. Access to all top end talent for the next 2 years, the ability to pick 2 players already playing in the league using AFL dollars, and a marketing fund to poach athletes from other sports.

Works for me.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-24_13-27-52.png
    upload_2018-1-24_13-27-52.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 10
Just trying to make north look worse than hawthorn in the eyes of the Tasmanians and the AFL.

Its about doing whatever he can to extend the windfalls associated with the hawks games in tassy. As you can probably understand, the chances of the hawks retaining a presence down there grows dimmer by the year.

Nothing at all to do with the womans team, he would of known the answer before he asked it - he really only asked to do that so that he could use it for ammunition in his political mechanisms.

If he gets even just another 2 or 3 years they probably will count that as a win.

He is a smart man.

I think that he sees the possibility that in in 2021 the AFL will move to bring Hawthorn back to
Melbourne in which case they lose 9500 members. However this will put pressure on us to play
more games there. I hope JK tells the AFL to get stuffed and we both continue as at present
for a few more years.

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett says the time has come for a united front in Tasmanian football.

In an exclusive interview with AFL.com.au, Kennett revealed he made a proposal to his North Melbourne counterpart, Ben Buckley, about joining forces for an NAB AFL Women's team in Tasmania.

Buckley rejected the informal offer, which came after the Roos won an AFLW licence – in conjunction with AFL Tasmania – to enter the competition in 2019.

North spokesman Heath O'Loughlin told AFL.com.au that club officials "would no more consider merging our AFLW team with another club than we would our men's team"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-23/united-front-needed-for-tassie-kennett

Lovin' Bens work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLW was a lot of fun last season and was a more than enjoyable competition to fill that nothing time between when the Australian Test summer ends and the AFL, be it pre-season or the real stuff, begins.

I'm looking forward to it again this year and that anticipation will only increase when we have a team running around in the royal blue and white. I imagine I'll watch the women's team every week with just about as much interest as I do the men's team

The AFLW was a lot of fun last season and was a more than enjoyable competition to fill that nothing time between when the Australian Test summer ends and the AFL, be it pre-season or the real stuff, begins.

I'm looking forward to it again this year and that anticipation will only increase when we have a team running around in the royal blue and white. I imagine I'll watch the women's team every week with just about as much interest as I do the men's team
My positive feelings about the competition last year were weighed down by a lot of resentment - this year I'm feeling much cheerier, and next year I'll be beside myself.

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett says the time has come for a united front in Tasmanian football.

In an exclusive interview with AFL.com.au, Kennett revealed he made a proposal to his North Melbourne counterpart, Ben Buckley, about joining forces for an NAB AFL Women's team in Tasmania.

Buckley rejected the informal offer, which came after the Roos won an AFLW licence – in conjunction with AFL Tasmania – to enter the competition in 2019.

North spokesman Heath O'Loughlin told AFL.com.au that club officials "would no more consider merging our AFLW team with another club than we would our men's team"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-23/united-front-needed-for-tassie-kennett

Lovin' Bens work.
Awesome response.

Awesome response.

The pessimistic element of our brethren should print this out and tape it to their monitors:

"would no more consider merging our AFLW team with another club than we would our men's team"

I doubt Hannah Mouncey will be drafted she is not quite AFLW standard from what I have heard. The awkward part about that is many people will assume her snubbing as transphobia from recruiters when it is about skill level and athleticism.

I doubt Hannah Mouncey will be drafted she is not quite AFLW standard from what I have heard. The awkward part about that is many people will assume her snubbing as transphobia from recruiters when it is about skill level and athleticism.
I don't think it would be that awkward. It's a competition that is aiming to increase its professionalism very quickly. She doesn't want any guarantees - just a chance to play. I'm glad she is getting an opportunity to try. I doubt North or any other club would draft her if they didn't think she could contribute. If they ever did decide they thought she could, I'd welcome her as I'd welcome pretty much anyone who came to Arden St. Except Adam Cooney that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back