News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
******* idiotic. I don't have much interest in the AFLW, at least at this stage, but even floating that idea is insulting. And then to call AFLW the AFL's top priority? We all know it isn't, getting more money for the next sodding broadcast rights is. Does gil just have no feel for the room temperature? Is he completely insulated from popular footy fan opinions? I'm genuinely beginning to wonder if he's just a ******* idiot who is good at kneading the egos of those he can make money off of and lucked into top spot after Dmitrio shafted Anderson.
IMG_0396.JPG

******* idiotic. I don't have much interest in the AFLW, at least at this stage, but even floating that idea is insulting. And then to call AFLW the AFL's top priority? We all know it isn't, getting more money for the next sodding broadcast rights is. Does gil just have no feel for the room temperature? Is he completely insulated from popular footy fan opinions? I'm genuinely beginning to wonder if he's just a ******* idiot who is good at kneading the egos of those he can make money off of and lucked into top spot after Dmitrio shafted Anderson.
Yes.

I4IqCbN.jpg

HELLO FELLOW FOOTBALL FANS

AFLW: Shake-up coming
nmfc.com.au

8 August 2018 7:31 AM

The AFLW’s competition committee has met for the first time with a raft of changes discussed at the board room table.

Among the options was beginning the third season of professional women’s football in January. However such a move would bring the game into direct conflict with the summer of tennis and the Australian Open. It’s understood the league prefers a February-March timeframe.

Head of women’s football at the AFL, Nicole Livingstone, said the fixture for 2019 was not yet set. Her comments come off the back of widespread condemnation of a floated six week season plus finals.

Livingstone said that particular model had never been agreed upon and was only one among several options.

"Clearly this has had quite a bit of attention in the last little while,” Livingstone stated.

"I'd like to make it really clear that no decisions have or had been made about the 2019 fixture and beyond.”

Nine and seven game seasons were another options discussed as well as a conference system.

A final call will be made by October with the AFLW will expand to 10 teams next season and to 14 the following year.

New rules will also be trialled including kick-ins from an extended goal square, reducing legal kicks from 15 metres to 10, boundary throw-ins will be brought in 10 metres, and last disposal out of bounds awarded between the 50-metre arcs.

"Some of the data we’ve seen has suggested that it is a game that might need some assistance with some rule adjustments,” Livingstone added.

http://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-08-08/aflw-shakeup-coming

I wish I could say I'm surprised they have rolled out plans for bringing new teams in over several years without thinking through when the clubs will be fixtured to play or the rules they will play under. Big thumbs up.

What wheel was the AFL trying to grease with the introduction of AFLW? A year ago they seemed to have infiltrated all forms of media getting promoted in a cash for comment sort of fashion. A vibe of "it's finally happened" pumping out in all directions.

A year later and they're treating it like a bastard child. Good to see they don't save the apathy for the "sporting" side of being a sport to only the mens comp.

Note: this is a comment on the AFL's apparently decreasing interest in the women's form of the game, not a judgement on the merits on the women's form of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What wheel was the AFL trying to grease with the introduction of AFLW? A year ago they seemed to have infiltrated all forms of media getting promoted in a cash for comment sort of fashion. A vibe of "it's finally happened" pumping out in all directions.

A year later and they're treating it like a bastard child. Good to see they don't save the apathy for the "sporting" side of being a sport to only the mens comp.

Note: this is a comment on the AFL's apparently decreasing interest in the women's form of the game, not a judgement on the merits on the women's form of the game.
It was weird. I know they moved marketing money into *giggles* AFLX instead, but the goodwill and free publicity available for AFLW to build on year 1 was palpable, and then instead of riding the wave HO seemed to go out of their way to sabotage it. The idea that a game isn't worth playing if it's not on TV seems to be part of the problem - how did that get to be a thing? I'm sure the women would rather play some games off-air and play a proper, meaningful season than have the whole thing cut to fit timeslots. This is still a sport that gets televised, not a TV show featuring sport, surely?

It was weird. I know they moved marketing money into *giggles* AFLX instead, but the goodwill and free publicity available for AFLW to build on year 1 was palpable, and then instead of riding the wave HO seemed to go out of their way to sabotage it. The idea that a game isn't worth playing if it's not on TV seems to be part of the problem - how did that get to be a thing? I'm sure the women would rather play some games off-air and play a proper, meaningful season than have the whole thing cut to fit timeslots. This is still a sport that gets televised, not a TV show featuring sport, surely?
it certainly feels like rapidly going in that tv show direction, and not just the AFLW either

The AFL s**t me.

We told them that our longstanding ties and support of the Melbourne Uni team meant we should of been one of the games inauguration clubs from the start.

Now finally arriving we have scores of wonderful talent coming across from other clubs due in no small part because of that connection.

All these other teams are complaining, but honestly its the AFL's fault for selecting teams with little connection to the teams. What did they expect to happen - these girls are FAR from getting paid enough money that those friendships and loyalties built up over many years (decades for some) isn't more important that anything else to them.

I love whats now going on in our ALFW team build, and the AFL can suffer in their jocks.

This is what I dont get. If the issue is they cannot get all the games they want broadcast earlier in the summer, is that a reason not to play them? Broadcast the ones they can, but play the others anyway, they should still be on Fox, and get some news highlights done. The exposure is the same, broadcasting 6 rounds of a 6 game season, or 6 rounds of a 9 game season, and frankly, momentum at this point is more important.

I would think every business understood this, when momentum is running your way, put everything into it.

This is what I dont get. If the issue is they cannot get all the games they want broadcast earlier in the summer, is that a reason not to play them? Broadcast the ones they can, but play the others anyway, they should still be on Fox, and get some news highlights done. The exposure is the same, broadcasting 6 rounds of a 6 game season, or 6 rounds of a 9 game season, and frankly, momentum at this point is more important.

I would think every business understood this, when momentum is running your way, put everything into it.

Yes, and if Fox Sport's reluctance to cover all games live is the big issue the AFL should cover production costs where required. Momentum is critical.

Pretty much why i was against outlaying the capital to get in on something 'organised' by the afl.

Everything they put their hands on is a complete *ing balls up, and now looks to be ran by the hand that feeds them more than ever.

Gil has to be the worst CEO the code has seen.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, and if Fox Sport's reluctance to cover all games live is the big issue the AFL should cover production costs where required. Momentum is critical.
Time the afl broke away from Fox. I’m sure they could stream all games live quiet easily.
Hell im sure Youtube, Stan, Netflix or amazon would partner with them very very quickly.

Time the afl broke away from Fox. I’m sure they could stream all games live quiet easily.
Hell im sure Youtube, Stan, Netflix or amazon would partner with them very very quickly.
The current deal runs until 2022, and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Not going to happen.

The AFL s**t me.

We told them that our longstanding ties and support of the Melbourne Uni team meant we should of been one of the games inauguration clubs from the start.

Now finally arriving we have scores of wonderful talent coming across from other clubs due in no small part because of that connection.

All these other teams are complaining, but honestly its the AFL's fault for selecting teams with little connection to the teams. What did they expect to happen - these girls are FAR from getting paid enough money that those friendships and loyalties built up over many years (decades for some) isn't more important that anything else to them.

I love whats now going on in our ALFW team build, and the AFL can suffer in their jocks.

It's so unbelievably AFL though isn't it. They rely on corporate marketing BS as badly as political parties. No grasp for the community origins of the game. That they can award licenses to teams without respecting the community input into a game that is only just beginning at the professional level for women shows how out of touch they are. Everything for them can be manufactured. This is the same mentality that has a waste of space team on the Gold Coast thrashing around like a fish on the wharf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back