News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma Kearney has been named captain of the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos ahead of their inaugural season in 2019.

The AFLW's best-and-fairest winner will head a leadership group of five, with Tasmanian Britt Gibson named as vice-captain, Jess Duffin deputy-vice, and Emma King and Kaitlyn Ashmore rounding out the unit.

http://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-11-02/aflw-jumper-numbers

1 – Sophie Abbatangelo

2 – Daria Bannister

3 – Taylor Mesiti

4 – Elisha King

5 – Katherine Gillespie-Jones

6 – Emma Humphries

7 – Ashleigh Riddell

8 – Alison Drennan

9 – Emma Kearney

10 – Kaitlyn Ashmore

11 – Daisy Bateman

12 – Nicole Bresnehan

13 – Courteney Munn

16 – Tahlia Randall

17 – Jamie Stanton

18 – Brittany Gibson

19 – Jasmine Grierson

20 – Beth Lynch*

21 – Jess Trend

22 – Georgia Nanscawen

23 – Moana Hope

24 – Maddison Smith

25 – Jasmine Garner

26 – Jessie Williams*

27 – Jessica Duffin

28 – Libby Haines

29 – Chloe Haines

31 – Danielle Hardiman

35 – Jenna Bruton

60 – Emma King

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For comparison, Adelaide has had a joint team with NT. Season 1 they played 1 home game in Darwin and 2 in Adelaide, and next season they'll play 1 home game in Darwin and 3 in SA. Their name is Adelaide and AFAIK they wear the same Crows jumper all the time.

It would be interesting to know how satisfactory this is and continues to be to the NT people, when they see the NM Tasmania model being tipped in the opposite direction.

http://bit.ly/AFLWRuleTweaks

The AFLW-specific rules will see:

Boundary throw-ins to be brought in by 10 metres, with the aim of creating more space around the contest and fewer secondary stoppages

Last touch applied only between the 50-metre arcs, with the ball to be thrown in after it crosses the boundary line inside-50

Runners and water-carriers allowed on the field during live play, given the hot temperatures experienced in February and March, and the greater number of inexperienced players

The only AFLW-specific rule which was presented to the Commission but not applied was an 18-metre extended goalsquare, which has also not been adopted in the AFL.

The rules variations that will apply to both the AFL and the AFLW include:

A 5-6-5 playing formation at centre bounces, with five forwards (including one inside the goalsquare itself), six midfielders (including the ruck) and five defenders lining up in "traditional playing positions". This becomes a formal rule, having been presented as a 'spirit of the game' guideline in 2018

For kick-ins from a behind, players will no longer need to kick to themselves before playing on out of the goal square. Opposition players standing the mark will now be positioned 10 metres from the top of the goalsquare, as oppose to the current five

When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the player on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare

Players cannot set up behind the umpire at centre bounces

Players who have been given a 50m penalty can play on while the penalty is being measured out

Players can now kick across their body using a snap or checkside kick after taking a mark after the siren. The player still has to dispose of the ball while directly in line with the player on the mark

Players are now able to place their hands in the back of an opponent to protect marking space, but are not allowed to push the player in the back

Rucks who take possession of the ball in a ruck contest (bounce or throw-in) will no longer be regarded as already having had prior opportunity if immediately tackled. Ruck nominations will only be needed if there is confusion over who the contesting ruck is

Relieved there weren't more special tweaks for the AFLW, the men's game changes are more than enough.

I so wish Mo Hope's season goes well - she is up on social media most days with something about how excited she is to be preparing to pull on the blue and white stripes (instead of that other trash, I add quietly to myself).

“I head down to Tasmania on November 14th for the first day of pre-season, and couldn’t be more excited. It’s been a long time coming and I think we’re prepared to get started with the season.”

Er wait... when was this interview conducted?

"I know that some of you also grew up supporting North and are as passionate as I am – but I know many of you have come from other clubs, or other states. So, let me assure you, you might not be playing for the biggest, richest club, or the club with the most members, but you are playing for - without question - the greatest club. You are playing for a club that genuinely cares about its members, its community, and its legacy. You are playing for a club that refuses to ever say ‘die’, and fights regardless of what stands in front of it. You are playing for a club that has been at the forefront of innovation and knows being better means being smarter and working harder. You are playing for a club that has never been the darling of the AFL, but one that demands and earns respect.

You might be pioneers in terms of women’s football, but as of tonight, you are now part of 150 years of a strong and proud tradition that is the North Melbourne Football Club.

To each of you – welcome to the best club in the AFL."

Doctorlicious drops the mike.

Checked the odds for AFLW premiership this morning, we are $6 second fave's behind Westerns
I'm amazed you guys aren't the outright favourites. Barring a choke your team will dominate the comp with the team assembled.

I'm spewing my mob didn't win it when we had our chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back