News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nmfc-aflw-2019.1130191/post-59850667

------------------
Thursday Update:
I love it when a plan comes together. Pleased how closely my speculative rankings matched how the club saw things, even went 50/50 on wildcards.

Pleasantly surprised at Lynch maybe she wants to make her own way (assuming tigers had a sniff).

Last priority is Munn who would surely be a priority for St Kilda? Retain her and we only lost 1 player I'd have ranked top 20 (Drennan) to a raid.

We've now survived the 2020 expansion with our (imo) top 20 largely intact. Well done to Kane, Gowans and Co for building a culture players want to stay part of.

Year 1 would've been a bit of a hit 'n hope recruiting spree in some ways including the draft. Would expect gameplan and positional needs to more strongly shape the intake of Year 2.
------------------

Spots 1-5: Top 3 are pretty clear cut imo. Spots 4 & 5 could swap with 2 of the next group fairly easily.

1 Kearney
2 Duffin
3 Em. King
4 Bruton
5 Gibson

Spots 6-10: positional needs have to be considered hence an emphasis on attributes like pace and defensive positions.

Garner
Ashmore
Gillespie-Jones
Grierson
Randall

Spots 11-15: all these players have shown something to be retained
Hardiman
Abbatangelo

Munn
Riddell
Drennan (I probably rate her higher than most)

Developing players – keep if possible:
Bresnehan
Bateman
El. King
Trend

Nanscawen

On the fringe:
Lynch - will probably go to Richmond
Mesiti

Humphries - club will rate higher, ball use suspect
Stanton - ditto

Haven’t observed enough to comment:
L.Haines, C.Haines, Smith, Williams,

Other:
Bannister – looks a quality player but hard to assess her ranking
Hope – a wildcard, would guess will be retained but quite hard to exactly rank

Can’t complain about that list! The only one missing is Munn, but I can’t begrudge her going back to the Saints, especially after the ‘go home’ factor worked in our favor last year. Hopefully she’s still thinking about it and we manage to sway her our way.

Wonderful effort by the team to retain so many players in this current expansion environment, it says a great deal about the culture of our club.
Congrats to all the girls, I look forward to seeing the in the Royal Blue and White in the season to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like us last year, i hope Richmond's poaching multiple high profile players results in forfeit of early draft picks as well.

Excellent point. Will be watching with baited breath as their first pick slides from #2 to #3.

Richmond have only managed to secure two significant free agents, had to give up their highest draft pick (#12) for Sabrina Frederick. My guess is they will get the same recruiting compensation picks that Geelong got (two at the start of the first round) and one of those will be traded to the Bulldogs in exchange for Conti.

Imo St Kilda will/should get similar but perhaps also picks at the start of other rounds, so I reckon our first pick will drop from 6th to 10th. This is assuming there are no more developments in the approaching final hour of trade period 1 and expansion signings.

Richmond have only managed to secure two significant free agents, had to give up their highest draft pick (#12) for Sabrina Frederick. My guess is they will get the same recruiting compensation picks that Geelong got (two at the start of the first round) and one of those will be traded to the Bulldogs in exchange for Conti.

Imo St Kilda will/should get similar but perhaps also picks at the start of other rounds, so I reckon our first pick will drop from 6th to 10th. This is assuming there are no more developments in the approaching final hour of trade period 1 and expansion signings.
We will probably sign someone grouse and get banned from the draft.

From the AFLW website:

NORTH MELBOURNE
Signed:
Sophie Abbatangelo, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Daria Bannister, Daisy Bateman, Nicole Bresnehan, Jenna Bruton, Jess Duffin, Jasmine Garner, Britt Gibson, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Jasmine Grierson, Danielle Hardiman, Emma Kearney, Elisha King, Emma King, Beth Lynch, Taylor Mesiti, Tahlia Randall, Ash Riddell, Jess Trend
Delisted/Traded/Expansion Signing: Alison Drennan (St Kilda), Chloe Haines (delisted), Libby Haines (delisted), Moana Hope (delisted), Emma Humphries (delisted), Courteney Munn (St Kilda), Georgia Nanscawen (delisted), Maddison Smith (delisted), Jamie Stanton (Gold Coast), Jessie Williams (rookie, delisted)

It’s a big turnover after so few games - were we required to cut this hard? Any chance we get some delisted forwards (well, Mo) back on the list down the track?
Cut two more than required. Can't see it happening with Mo, maybe the Haines twins though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back