News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My girls are in Auskick purely because of watching that game last year plus a couple of local girls matches. They can see the pathway and know there will be heaps on tv next year and are thrilled with it.

If we don't get a team they will follow another club. I won't stop them on that front. If it's Collingwood or even worse * I will kill myself.

NMFC will then have lost 3 members for life.

That's pretty soft m8.

From the afl website today;

FOSTERING the women's game in regional areas is a key aspect of proposals by Geelong and North Melbourne to field teams in next season's AFL women's league.

Both clubs had already started work to develop female talent in supporter bases away from their headquarters before the AFL’s invitations for clubs to bid for licences.

Geelong plans to continue growing participation levels in the Greater Geelong area, around Colac and other the Western District towns and on the Bellarine Peninsula.

North Melbourne will duplicate its community facility, The Huddle, at Werribee in Melbourne’s west, in conjunction with Wyndham City Council and at the Tasmanian base in Hobart if it's granted one of the eight club licences for the proposed eight-team 2017 women's competition.

AFL clubs must submit a development plan and associated financial plan that demonstrate suitability in administration, business development, football operations, strategic relevance and a broader commitment to female football. The deadline for submissions is Friday, April 29.

Good work North. Hopefully an impressive proposal gets a leg in the door. Can't help but think getting in on the ground floor with this will both tie in with our existing community efforts and provide even further legitimacy to our place in the league.

Good work North. Hopefully an impressive proposal gets a leg in the door. Can't help but think getting in on the ground floor with this will both tie in with our existing community efforts and provide even further legitimacy to our place in the league.
I will support the women's team as long it is registered as North Melbourne plays as North Melbourne and has the North Melbourne colours anything that has Werribee attached to it will not be supported by me and I dare say a lot of North Melbourne supporters and played as a curtain raiser before the seniors

More casual misogyny. You do realise that in calling Heppell a girl, you are casting aspersions upon the female gender and defining "woman" as a pejorative, as weak, and of less value? Do you have daughters? Do you tell them that they are less valuable and less worthy?

Women are, generally speaking, weaker than blokes.

I think this is a great idea though.

Hope our proposal meets the mark.

I will support the women's team as long it is registered as North Melbourne plays as North Melbourne and has the North Melbourne colours anything that has Werribee attached to it will not be supported by me and I dare say a lot of North Melbourne supporters and played as a curtain raiser before the seniors
Nothing like an open mind!!!!!

That's pretty soft m8.

Being a father to girls sort of makes a bloke a bit more feisty on encouraging equality. I can't see them following the * addicks womens team and NMFC. I see them following 1 club by the end of Primary school and I hope it's North.

If there were no women's comp on the horizon and they mentioned supporting any team other than North, I'd sell them to ISIS.

I'm not too soft!

Should be rejected on the basis their women's team is in the male comp.

This isn't a sexist thing. Just that they are pretty poor.
Is this an article about Gibbs and Murphy? :stern look

Violence against women begins with disrespect. Time for a few blokes to pull their heads in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude. Don't put me in that group. That is exactly why I added the disclaimer.

I would rather be called a GC sympathiser than erroneously accused as a wife beater.
Claiming that your post isn't sexist doesn't make it any less sexist.

Violence against women begins with disrespect. Time for a few blokes to pull their heads in.

Toughen up cupcake. Women are strong and have agency, they don't need you white knighting for them.

Toughen up cupcake. Women are strong and have agency, they don't need you white knighting for them.
Calling out sexist remarks isn't 'white knighting', it's just being a good person

Personally I think comparing Heppell to anyone could be deemed offensive. Anyway. Good luck to the team, I have no idea if there are enough women that are keen to play - as in literally no idea - but I do think it is worthwhile getting in and making a go of it.

Calling out sexist remarks isn't 'white knighting', it's just being a good person

Sexist? I didn't show any prejudice or discrimination, perhaps a little stereotyping but in general women are weaker physically than men and my inference was that Murphy and Gibbs aren't the most masculine of footballers. If you would call that sexism then any observation or comparison between the sexes is sexism, and it is not. Sexist stereotyping would be something derogatory to women, like making a statement that all women are stupid or weak, something I didn't do.

There are physically powerful women (I wouldn't want to be in a UFC ring with any female fighter) but they are not the norm. If one day they are the norm then such comments wouldn't make any sense and people wouldn't make such comments.

I don't get on internet forums to earn brownie points (sorry, is that racist???). I don't want to "trigger" any bleeding heart progressive on this site...

It was a jab at Gibbs and Murphy, not a jab at women or women playing football, people shouldn't act so precious.

Sexist? I didn't show any prejudice or discrimination, perhaps a little stereotyping but in general women are weaker physically than men and my inference was that Murphy and Gibbs aren't the most masculine of footballers. If you would call that sexism then any observation or comparison between the sexes is sexism, and it is not. Sexist stereotyping would be something derogatory to women, like making a statement that all women are stupid or weak, something I didn't do.

There are physically powerful women (I wouldn't want to be in a UFC ring with any female fighter) but they are not the norm. If one day they are the norm then such comments wouldn't make any sense and people wouldn't make such comments.

I don't get on internet forums to earn brownie points (sorry, is that racist???). I don't want to "trigger" any bleeding heart progressive on this site...

It was a jab at Gibbs and Murphy, not a jab at women or women playing football, people shouldn't act so precious.
Except the reason you bring up Gibbs and Murphy (and that others bring up the likes of Jack Watts and Dyson Heppell) is not because of a percieved physical weakness, it is a mental one. They are seen as softer players, ones who are scared of being hurt in the contest, and are therefore deemed to be like women.

Seeing as I've never seen any evidence that shows Women are more mentally weak than men (as opposed to physically), when I see remarks that appear to draw that conclusion, its pretty easy to discern some mildly sexist undertones

Not sure about the women's team, but I do know this thread is heading to Werribee fast.

Regardless of intent, or which side of the 'it's a sexist joke/no it's not' fence you sit on, you'd have to be two short planks-thick not to appreciate that it has the potential to be contentious. (Particularly if, as people so often say, the world really has 'gone PC mad'.) In the absence of any subtext, like a hearty Goodes-directed boo, it's something that is destined to be interpreted in ways that you may not have intended. And all the bemusement and indignation in the world won't change that. I'm not passing judgement on whether it is right or wrong to draw such assumptions, just stating the pragmatic reality of the situation as it stands.

Personally, it's a joke I'd avoid if for no other reason than it has zero comedic value. (Of course I could be alone in thinking that, but I doubt it.)

Either way, while trying to keep my own personal politics out of this, I'd suggest it's a joke that's probably not a great fit for this thread. As we can all see, it has the potential to quickly derail discussion. So maybe it'd be cool if people could hold off on dropping it here, just in the interests of keeping the thread open, and for the benefit of those wishing to discuss the subject without having to wade through repeat plays of an already tired joke and the (often worthy but ultimately tangential) disputes that inevitably follow.

Not sure about the women's team, but I do know this thread is heading to Werribee fast.

Regardless of intent, or which side of the 'it's a sexist joke/no it's not' fence you sit on, you'd have to be two short planks-thick not to appreciate that it has the potential to be contentious. (Particularly if, as people so often say, the world really has 'gone PC mad'.) In the absence of any subtext, like a hearty Goodes-directed boo, it's something that is destined to be interpreted in ways that you may not have intended. And all the bemusement and indignation in the world won't change that. I'm not passing judgement on whether it is right or wrong to draw such assumptions, just stating the pragmatic reality of the situation as it stands.

Personally, it's a joke I'd avoid if for no other reason than it has zero comedic value. (Of course I could be alone in thinking that, but I doubt it.)

Either way, while trying to keep my own personal politics out of this, I'd suggest it's a joke that's probably not a great fit for this thread. As we can all see, it has the potential to quickly derail discussion. So maybe it'd be cool if people could hold off on dropping it here, just in the interests of keeping the thread open, and for the benefit of those wishing to discuss the subject without having to wade through repeat plays of an already tired joke and the (often worthy but ultimately tangential) disputes that inevitably follow.
Well said.

Being a father to girls sort of makes a bloke a bit more feisty on encouraging equality. I can't see them following the * addicks womens team and NMFC. I see them following 1 club by the end of Primary school and I hope it's North.

If there were no women's comp on the horizon and they mentioned supporting any team other than North, I'd sell them to ISIS.

I'm not too soft!

Do you have a woodshed? Apparently comes in handy when faced with any wavering of support :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back