Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
2019 AFLW TIPPING HERE: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/pickem/

Prize: a year's Platinum and medal for the winner!

***************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-...r-a-womens-football-team-20160422-god7dg.html.

I hadn't realised that:
  • we were keen,
  • we had so many women working at our club,
  • and that we had such longstanding links into, and support of, women's football.
Don't fancy our chances against the establishment, but then again, so what's new?

All power to NM, and I wish them all the luck they need with their bid, and to build our brand. Any opportunity to support a North team is a good opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-...r-a-womens-football-team-20160422-god7dg.html.

I hadn't realised that:
  • we were keen,
  • we had so many women working at our club,
  • and that we had such longstanding links into, and support of, women's football.
Don't fancy our chances against the establishment, but then again, so what's new?

All power to NM, and I wish them all the luck they need with their bid, and to build our brand. Any opportunity to support a North team is a good opportunity.

I started a similar thread last year supporting some of the female staff at NMFC and that we should push for our own women's team. Some of the comments posted were appalling so the thread got taken down. I think this is a great initiative. The photo of the sheer numbers of our female staff is amazing. It also shows passion that the lady quit her Law job to take up the position in our great club.

Last edited:
Article is a bit revisionist, everyone knows Kevin Sheedy and *Essendon invented women being involved in football.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
What costs more? A womans team or our own VFL team?
Whilst I would prefer our own VFL side first, I feel if we don't apply for a womens side we will miss the boat. The AFL and bigger clubs will throw a lot of weight ($) behind this and as well as having another side to follow the benefits down the track will be huge. Do I think the AFL will give us a licence? No.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
From a pure marketing perspective I reckon a women's team offers a potentially greater ROI from interest from women and girls and from a range of female product sponsors. My wife said she'd watch women's AFL and follow a team; would be a crying shame if she, and other similar women, girls (and men and boys) didn't get the chance to follow North Melbourne. I anticipate good flow-through interest to our men's team.

Very happy to read that we're keen and well prepared as I was afraid we were going to miss the boat on what I think will be a golden opportunity for more national exposure; something a VFL team won't provide.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
We need a vfl side first. I bet the doggies board has a thread about north copying them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

We aren't copying anyone. In the article it mentions we have been affiliated with the Melbourne Uni Women's team for over 5 years. We are just late on marketing this to the public.

Interesting question. The fact is that womens' AFL is one of the fastest growing sports in Australia. It will be huge. I think we need to be in on the ground floor but our own VFL team must be an aim too. Insert coin toss thingy here ->

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Like has been said, unless this is completely subsidized by the AFL, we should be putting money into a stand alone VFL first.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Like has been said, unless this is completely subsidized by the AFL, we should be putting money into a stand alone VFL first.
Thing is there's a deadline with the women's AFL which I don't think we should miss. NM mens and womens team also harder to move, solidifies position in national competition.

There's greater opportunity cost with the women's team vs VFL side where a one-club alignment with Werribee reduces the sense of urgency, even need. What's the deal with Hawks and Box Hill? Are they looking to ditch them?

Good article by Caro there. Don't know how but I've heard that having a women's team will be very lucrative. Provided we tick all the boxes I reckon we should get a licence because of our anti pokies stance. The AFL should acknowledge that and give us another income.

Bell End

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Poole pirates
I watched the lions vs sums women's match last week after the q clash, I was really surprised at the intensity, hardness at the ball & speed of the game. From what I've heard lions are all but confirmed to be qld team. I think the plan is 1 qld, nsw, wa & sa team & 4 vic teams of which you'd think dogs & dees will be 2 and 2 of the big 4 will get the other 2.

I'd love for us to get a women's side, I think the opportunities to grow and expose the club to a whole new audience here would be massive.

That's awesome.

My 4 year old daughter loves North, last year (when she was three) and they showed a game of womens footy and she watched it, her excitement was over the top.

"I love it that girls can play footy."

She said that or wtte about 10 times during the game.

I have deep reservations. Where is the money coming from to pay for it? No one will ever watch it unless it is a curtain raiser... and if that can be then why cant the reserves be. There is an english ladies premier league soccer contest. Arsenal have the most successful team. Only a few 100 turn up to watch.

TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would love for this to not be yet another opportunity for the strong club to get stronger, and have us get one of the Women's teams.

But there is just no chance. The AFL will hang their hat on the fact that the innovators in this space (Dees & Dogs) that get teams are smaller smaller clubs, & so will have no hesitation in making two of the big 4 the other ones.

Nothing surer.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we should give this our best shot and even if we don't gain one of the original licences we should continue to support women's footy in as many ways as possible. With our relatively small support base we need to be creative in growing our support and grass roots women's footy is one possibility. For example, we already have a foothold in one of the fastest growing areas in the country (Werribee/Wyndham) and this will grow rapidly with The Huddle to set up in Werribee in the near future, the North Melbourne football academy also to be in Werribee, not to mention a VFL team already aligned with Werribee. We could also support women's footy in the region. Demographically North Melbourne only provides a small support base; let's make Wyndham a secondary base and that means keeping the VFL alignment

Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
I think we should give this our best shot and even if we don't gain one of the original licences we should continue to support women's footy in as many ways as possible. With our relatively small support base we need to be creative in growing our support and grass roots women's footy is one possibility. For example, we already have a foothold in one of the fastest growing areas in the country (Werribee/Wyndham) and this will grow rapidly with The Huddle to set up in Werribee in the near future, the North Melbourne football academy also to be in Werribee, not to mention a VFL team already aligned with Werribee. We could also support women's footy in the region. Demographically North Melbourne only provides a small support base; let's make Wyndham a secondary base and that means keeping the VFL alignment

I believe the Bulldogs will be into Wyndham in about 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back