News NMFC AFLW 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) When does this thing end?
2) Mods, could you think about giving it a sub board placing in future?
3 more weekends, they haven't named a Grand Final venue but it's unlikely if we make it that it will be in Victoria. It's all over too soon for my 2 cents, I've loved watching the girls and if they don't get through to the finals they will rightly feel ripped off after having a really good season.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
3 more weekends, they haven't named a Grand Final venue but it's unlikely if we make it that it will be in Victoria. It's all over too soon for my 2 cents, I've loved watching the girls and if they don't get through to the finals they will rightly feel ripped off after having a really good season.

Thanks for answering my actual question Luke.

2) Mods, could you think about giving it a sub board placing in future?

Just ignore the relevant threads. They are clearly marked.

Not happening. Kimbo’s on the money. If you’re not interested don’t even open the thread, let alone post in it.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not at all convinced that the grand final or semi final will be played in Victoria even if we were the nominal hosts, ie qualifying highest. Campaigners will send the game to Tassie.

Not at all convinced that the grand final or semi final will be played in Victoria even if we were the nominal hosts, ie qualifying highest. Campaigners will send the game to Tassie.
I think $ would mean they’d play it at Princes Park. I’d expect a decent crowd if we made the GF just with interest from neutral supporters.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not happening. Kimbo’s on the money. If you’re not interested don’t even open the thread, let alone post in it.

I have no interest in anything Kimbo posts (ignore). I'll just put the folks who start these threads on ignore until April and then I'll never see them. Problem fixed. Cheers.

Last edited:
I have no interest in anything Kimbo posts (ignore). I'll just put the folks who start these threads on ignore until April and then I'll never see them. Problem fixed. Cheers.
*shrug* it's 2-3 threads at any one time (Luke should have let the pregame thread roll over into gameday this week). No more clutter irrelevant to your NMFC interests than the Media & Entertainment or Cricket threads.

It'll be gone by the end of Round 2 apart from probably one general purpose thread. Forcing people to find it in a subforum doesn't help the majority of people who are casually interested though I wouldn't mind them being archived into one.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
*shrug* it's 2-3 threads at any one time (Luke should have let the pregame thread roll over into gameday this week). No more clutter irrelevant to your NMFC interests than the Media & Entertainment or Cricket threads.

It'll be gone by the end of Round 2 apart from probably one general purpose thread. Forcing people to find it in a sub-forum doesn't help the majority of people who are casually interested though I wouldn't mind them being archived into one.

It's a minor interest for a handful of people that takes up too much traffic on the board , and I agree it would be like having 3-6 media, politics, history or other such AFL unrelated threads constantly jiggling about the top of the page. Interestingly, these types of threads are generally placed in to a sub forum.

This AFLW thing is not what built this board, nor is it overwhelmingly what it's about. I respect other people's rights to chat about it, and as you can observe, I stay well away from the GDT's on the matter, but for me, clicking on the board page and sorting through the worthwhile discussions is like walking out the front door every morning and finding unsightly bird s**t on the windscreen of 69 fast back.

Anyway, the mods have ultimately taken a position and I will work within that position. It's not my preferred choice, as the folks who start these threads are worthwhile participants in the real football threads also, so it's a compromise on my behalf..

It's a minor interest for a handful of people that takes up too much traffic on the board , and I agree it would be like having 3-6 media, politics, history or other such AFL unrelated threads constantly jiggling about the top of the page. Interestingly, these types of threads are generally placed in to a sub forum.

This AFLW thing is not what built this board, nor is it overwhelmingly what it's about. I respect other people's rights to chat about it, and as you can observe, I stay well away from the GDT's on the matter, but for me, clicking on the board page and sorting through the worthwhile discussions is like walking out the front door every morning and finding unsightly bird s**t on the windscreen of 69 fast back.

Anyway, the mods have ultimately taken a position and I will work within that position. It's not my preferred choice, as the folks who start these threads are worthwhile participants in the real football threads also, so it's a compromise on my behalf..
I think you'll find that the women's team will be an integral part of the club going into the future. It has been interesting from the 3 games I attended to see the different dynamic that makes up the crowd, a lot more families and a lot more women of all ages. It has a local footy feel to it which I hope the AFL tries to foster. I think that it will be one of the better sources of new members and hopefully allows us to grow the Melbourne membership base to a point we can play all our home games here.

I think you'll find that the women's team will be an integral part of the club going into the future. It has been interesting from the 3 games I attended to see the different dynamic that makes up the crowd, a lot more families and a lot more women of all ages. It has a local footy feel to it which I hope the AFL tries to foster. I think that it will be one of the better sources of new members and hopefully allows us to grow the Melbourne membership base to a point we can play all our home games here.
Well said. Some people can't see past their own nose. I really wish we had a women's team and I'm quite envious of the clubs that do.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Can we not keep doing this? Just give Snake his own Victorian Ages misogyny thread and migrate everything he says in there.

1) Ironically, 6-4 to 5-2 was a typical scoreline of the Victoria ages.
2) You don't get to call me a misogynist until you have personally hospitalised women bashers.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
There are 2 basic things that our AFLW team does as a matter of course every week that large parts of our men's team choose not to.

Basic Footy 101 stuff:

1) "Man" the mark everytime
2) Shepherd your teammate everytime - in fact a couple of times vs Collingwood players got tangled trying to go for the same shepherd

Don't know if Scott Gowans has them drilled like Green Berets or the girls just take a high level of pride in their performance but it has stood right out after watching years of some AFL players picking and choosing when they'd like to apply themselves defensively.

There are 2 basic things that our AFLW team does as a matter of course every week that large parts of our men's team choose not to.

Basic Footy 101 stuff:

1) "Man" the mark everytime
2) Shepherd your teammate everytime - in fact a couple of times vs Collingwood players got tangled trying to go for the same shepherd

Don't know if Scott Gowans has them drilled like Green Berets or the girls just take a high level of pride in their performance but it has stood right out after watching years of some AFL players picking and choosing when they'd like to apply themselves defensively.
My pet hate for turn of the century North is the looped handball over the top to a stationary target.
Stationary target. It’s so completely amateurish how we don’t know how to move the ball and draw the opposition because we can’t execute basic skills. The deer in headlight pedestrian gameplan has never worked for us, and it has resulted in multiple sky is falling moments over the years where we revert back to a traditional contested ball and long kicking style that gets us back on track but ultimately behind the 8 ball as we waste year after year.
What chances we blow it again this year.
The whole hot potato, sitting duck, hospital handpass manic style may work for traditional attacking North midfields but we don’t have the cattle in the back half to execute it efficiently. I can’t name one running defender with elite skills in our best 22. It’s such a real cause for concern.
Our positioning and execution has always been so poor coming out of defence that I just expect a chain of handballs to go pearshaped so dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back