News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet hate for turn of the century North is the looped handball over the top to a stationary target.
Stationary target. It’s so completely amateurish how we don’t know how to move the ball and draw the opposition because we can’t execute basic skills. The deer in headlight pedestrian gameplan has never worked for us, and it has resulted in multiple sky is falling moments over the years where we revert back to a traditional contested ball and long kicking style that gets us back on track but ultimately behind the 8 ball as we waste year after year.
What chances we blow it again this year.
The whole hot potato, sitting duck, hospital handpass manic style may work for traditional attacking North midfields but we don’t have the cattle in the back half to execute it efficiently. I can’t name one running defender with elite skills in our best 22. It’s such a real cause for concern.
Our positioning and execution has always been so poor coming out of defence that I just expect a chain of handballs to go pearshaped so dramatically.

You're right. Every year we start overpossessing in defence early in the season and subconsciously I think "this is just the start of a different style, in a few weeks it'll really pay off when we get it right."

Then as you say we revert to a style more suitable to our squad, raise expectations once more and then duly s**t the bed.

You're right. Every year we start overpossessing in defence early in the season and subconsciously I think "this is just the start of a different style, in a few weeks it'll really pay off when we get it right."

Then as you say we revert to a style more suitable to our squad, raise expectations once more and then duly s**t the bed.
I dont think some of our footballers have the IQ to execute a possession based gameplan efficiently.
Its always been the narrative with North about coaching to your teams strengths and for some reason were neither here or there.
2016 and 2018 seem to be outliers in terms of we got it right from the get go before being decimated by injuries.
I hope the JLT isnt a sign of things to come.

Lions, Dockers brace for expansion club raids on talent

BRISBANE and Fremantle will be bracing themselves ahead of the NAB AFL Women's sign and trade period, with expansion sides able to sign up to eight players from each of those clubs.
Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast are joining the competition in 2020 and can each sign up to 12 players from other teams.

Expansion clubs can sign up to four players from Victorian clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs) and Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney.
The sign and trade period will begin on Monday, April 8 and finishes on Thursday, April 18.
The 10 established teams must trim their lists to 22 players by the end of the period. They can also retain up to two 2019 rookie-listed players as rookies for the 2020 season.

AFLW players are on one-year contracts, meaning between the sign and trade period and the draft (date yet to be determined but generally in October), more than 400 players will need to be contracted.
Up until now, Brisbane and Fremantle have been the only AFLW sides in their respective states and with state-based drafts in place, have effectively had exclusive access to talent nominating for those particular regions.
Rules relating to the introduction of North Melbourne and Geelong for this season allowed those two sides to sign up to four players from other teams.
Brisbane, Collingwood and Melbourne were hardest hit in that process, losing four players each.
Teams will have lists of 30, with three being rookies (players not listed with any Australian football team for the past three years).

It will be interesting to see who is cut from the list. I think there will be some pretty unlucky girls and 8 out of 30 players is a significant amount. I guess we can expect with the new clubs coming in a few to get poached. From looking at the list I think a few of the Tassie players are the most vulnerable which will be a test of where the club stands with having a percentage of Tasmanian players.

It will be interesting to see who is cut from the list. I think there will be some pretty unlucky girls and 8 out of 30 players is a significant amount. I guess we can expect with the new clubs coming in a few to get poached. From looking at the list I think a few of the Tassie players are the most vulnerable which will be a test of where the club stands with having a percentage of Tasmanian players.
Why is there an 8 out of 30 rule to trim?

Surely there’s not that much talent in the draft for 12 teams to pick 8 players each

For me I’d assume the cuts would be Jessie Williams, Maddy Smith and maybe the Haines twins
Nanscawn also probably

Why is there an 8 out of 30 rule to trim?

Surely there’s not that much talent in the draft for 12 teams to pick 8 players each

For me I’d assume the cuts would be Jessie Williams, Maddy Smith and maybe the Haines twins
Nanscawn also probably
I agree, it seems excessive but from that article "The 10 established teams must trim their lists to 22 players". FWIW I think that your probably close to the mark with those players, it's a hard call. Maybe Humphries or Mesiti too in that they didn't play all the games. Elisha King and Beth Lynch seem to get talked about as likely poaching targets.

Off the top of my head the Tassie linked girls are the Haines twins, Maddy Smith, Humphries, Munn, Gibson and Bannister maybe Bresnehan. I think a few would be around the mark if we are cutting eight. I'd definitely keep Gibson, Munn and Bresnehan and I think Humphries pace was missed towards the end of the season. It'll be a tough decision, maybe they delist and re-sign some.

I agree, it seems excessive but from that article "The 10 established teams must trim their lists to 22 players". FWIW I think that your probably close to the mark with those players, it's a hard call. Maybe Humphries or Mesiti too in that they didn't play all the games. Elisha King and Beth Lynch seem to get talked about as likely poaching targets.

Off the top of my head the Tassie linked girls are the Haines twins, Maddy Smith, Humphries, Munn, Gibson and Bannister maybe Bresnehan. I think a few would be around the mark if we are cutting eight. I'd definitely keep Gibson, Munn and Bresnehan and I think Humphries pace was missed towards the end of the season. It'll be a tough decision, maybe they delist and re-sign some.
A number of clubs have done this. Delist players to make the minimum, then relist some. Easier in the 1 club states though, where it is harder for other clubs to jump in and grab them after you delist them.

Had a go at breaking down the list from the view of order of re-signing. Don’t envy the list manager’s task.

Spots 1-5: Top 3 are pretty clear cut imo. Spots 4 & 5 could swap with 2 of the next group fairly easily.

1 Kearney
2 Duffin
3 Em. King
4 Bruton
5 Gibson

Spots 6-10: positional needs have to be considered hence an emphasis on attributes like pace and defensive positions.

Garner
Ashmore
Gillespie-Jones
Grierson
Randall

Spots 11-15: all these players have shown something to be retained
Hardiman
Abbatangelo
Munn
Riddell
Drennan (I probably rate her higher than most)

Developing players – keep if possible:
Bresnehan
Bateman
El. King
Trend
Nanscawen

On the fringe:
Lynch - will probably go to Richmond
Mesiti
Humphries - club will rate higher, ball use suspect
Stanton - ditto

Haven’t observed enough to comment:
L.Haines, C.Haines, Smith, Williams,

Other:
Bannister – looks a quality player but hard to assess her ranking
Hope – a wildcard, would guess will be retained but quite hard to exactly rank

None of our players in the top 7-8 in the AFLW coaches award, seems legit.
I'm not surprised by that. Most of our wins were characterised by a strong team effort, which was often reflected in the votes on here at the time. I mean, arguments could be made for Duffin, King and Kearney, and I suspect that all 3 will be in the AA team, but there was never really any standout imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not surprised by that. Most of our wins were characterised by a strong team effort, which was often reflected in the votes on here at the time. I mean, arguments could be made for Duffin, King and Kearney, and I suspect that all 3 will be in the AA team, but there was never really any standout imo.
I have investigated and found the results :

2019 AFLCA Lucky Chicken Eggs AFLW Champion Player

FINAL LEADERBOARD

51: Erin Phillips (Adelaide)
46: Kiara Bowers (Fremantle)
35: Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide)
34: Monique Conti (Western Bulldogs)
32: Karen Paxman (Melbourne)
30: Madison Prespakis (Carlton)
29: Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs)
29: Dana Hooker (Fremantle)
28: Jenna Bruton (North Melbourne)
27: Brianna Davey (Carlton)
27: Emma Kearney (North Melbourne)

Duffin not very popular, and she probably nearly wins our BnF

Post needs more Bruton IMO. Had an excellent season.

Model of consistency. I'd expect a top 3 BnF finish.

Last edited:
Post needs more Bruton IMO. Had an excellent season.

Model of consistency. I'd expect a top 3 BnF finish.
Agreed now that you point it out. Definitely an oversight on my part. She was arguably the most consistent of our top players, but perhaps didn't have the genuinely elite, game-breaking performance that some of the others did.

Not gonna lie, up until the Freo game I had no idea who the purple/red haired chick was. Only this week did I learn it was Bruton. Says a bit about her I think, was always there, did her job but didn't really stand out. IMO anyway.

Not gonna lie, up until the Freo game I had no idea who the purple/red haired chick was. Only this week did I learn it was Bruton. Says a bit about her I think, was always there, did her job but didn't really stand out. IMO anyway.

Agree to disagree, although it would appear the AFLW coaches are with me on rating her contributions this season highly.

I reckon Bruton was very good, really stood up after Ash Riddell got hurt.

I think Jamie Stanton gets judged harshly too, she gets heaps of the ball, I get that her disposal can be a bit Adam Simpson like (slamming it on the boot and sending it as far up as it goes long) but being able to get the ball in the first place is a skill other girls don't have.

Had a go at breaking down the list from the view of order of re-signing. Don’t envy the list manager’s task.

Spots 1-5: Top 3 are pretty clear cut imo. Spots 4 & 5 could swap with 2 of the next group fairly easily.

1 Kearney
2 Duffin
3 Em. King
4 Bruton
5 Gibson

Spots 6-10: positional needs have to be considered hence an emphasis on attributes like pace and defensive positions.

Garner
Ashmore
Gillespie-Jones
Grierson
Randall

Spots 11-15: all these players have shown something to be retained
Hardiman
Abbatangelo
Munn
Riddell
Drennan (I probably rate her higher than most)

Developing players – keep if possible:
Bresnehan
Bateman
El. King
Trend
Nanscawen

On the fringe:
Lynch - will probably go to Richmond
Mesiti
Humphries - club will rate higher, ball use suspect
Stanton - ditto

Haven’t observed enough to comment:
L.Haines, C.Haines, Smith, Williams,

Other:
Bannister – looks a quality player but hard to assess her ranking
Hope – a wildcard, would guess will be retained but quite hard to exactly rank
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I'd have Garner in the top group above Gibson and Bruton. I actually think Ash Riddell would be in there too if not for her injury.

Mo hope would be in the second group, I get the feeling she's a pretty important member of the group and is Majak like in how much of the clubs marketing involves her.

I really would like to see Elisha King, Daisy Bateman and Beth Lynch retained as I think they looked like the ones that improved the most over the course of the season and showed the most potential for further development.

I would think that maybe Nanscawen, Trend and Grierson might be in the vulnerable category given the harsh list trimming requirements.

For what it's worth - and no antagonism meant - I find myself wishing Bruton was still on our list far more than I do Kearney. Kearney's a very powerful blunt instrument and a very good player, but I see Bruton as a more complete player where really all that's holding her back is her size, and I really think her loss this year made a big difference to our team. It was also great to see Daria Bannister back playing, even if it was for you lot ;)

Commiserations on the way the conferences played out, and I hope there's more justice next year.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I'd have Garner in the top group above Gibson and Bruton. I actually think Ash Riddell would be in there too if not for her injury.

Mo hope would be in the second group, I get the feeling she's a pretty important member of the group and is Majak like in how much of the clubs marketing involves her.

I really would like to see Elisha King, Daisy Bateman and Beth Lynch retained as I think they looked like the ones that improved the most over the course of the season and showed the most potential for further development.

I would think that maybe Nanscawen, Trend and Grierson might be in the vulnerable category given the harsh list trimming requirements.

Interesting take. Yeh hard to know how Riddell would've gone over a season, would her exuberance have eventually fallen short at some point?

Funny how we all see things differently i thought Grierson was a versatile dependable type, bit of a Dean Laidley sort of player.

Interesting take. Yeh hard to know how Riddell would've gone over a season, would her exuberance have eventually fallen short at some point?

Funny how we all see things differently i thought Grierson was a versatile dependable type, bit of a Dean Laidley sort of player.
I don't know if we could have had both Riddell and Bruton in the same centre square set up as they are both very similar (a bit undersized).

I think Grierson was good and reliable but the combo with Gibson and Randall is quite slow and she was the skinniest, she also takes an eternity to get the ball onto her boot between the ball drop and the kick. I think she'll be retained as I think the club targeted her specifically last year.

A number of clubs have done this. Delist players to make the minimum, then relist some. Easier in the 1 club states though, where it is harder for other clubs to jump in and grab them after you delist them.

We should de-list all our Tasmanians. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back