News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth - and no antagonism meant - I find myself wishing Bruton was still on our list far more than I do Kearney. Kearney's a very powerful blunt instrument and a very good player, but I see Bruton as a more complete player where really all that's holding her back is her size, and I really think her loss this year made a big difference to our team. It was also great to see Daria Bannister back playing, even if it was for you lot ;)

Commiserations on the way the conferences played out, and I hope there's more justice next year.

Kearney has to play with a heavy tag or plays against the best the opposition has, so it is hard to compare their output, if Kearney wasn't there then Bruton would find the going a lot harder. I prefer Kearney to be in our side than have to worry about one of our players lining up on her, that being said, she is by no means a one-man-band.

I do agree with the Bulldozer comments, she is just an in and under workhorse. Our biggest problem was we relied too much on pushing King forward and at times where murdered in the ruck. Riddell was a big loss for us, I don't think we have the midfield depth of the other established sides. We also lack some speed on the back and forward lines, the better clubs didn't allow us to move the ball up the ground with the short to medium range passes which caused havoc against the weaker sides.

We will need to get some more speed in the back and forward lines, other than that I think we just need more time to work on the game plan and to gel better together, despite the conference shenanigans, we were comprehensively beaten by Adelaide and Fremantle, it would have been nice to play finals, however, I think we need to address list and gameplan issues to beat those two side the way they are currently playing.

Draft order will be interesting, will Geelong still get to pick before us despite making finals? Is drafting the only way we can recruit now or can we go around signing up more of the oppositions ex Melb uni girls as I read they all on one year deals

Yeah Erin Phillips combination of power and skill is formidable. Throw in Marinoff who is a solid and skilled player and I think we got found out.

I think we were an ok match for Freo around the ball but were too slow down back and they had a day out where shots were sailing through every time. I’d have liked to see how the game went if we had got the first two goals and had a bit of scoreboard pressure.

Draft order will be interesting, will Geelong still get to pick before us despite making finals? Is drafting the only way we can recruit now or can we go around signing up more of the oppositions ex Melb uni girls as I read they all on one year deals

I don't think there were any drafting benefits outside of the first draft.

I don't think there were any drafting benefits outside of the first draft.

What I mean is, they (Geelong) made finals. they should pick after us... even though they are a worse team

What I mean is, they (Geelong) made finals. they should pick after us... even though they are a worse team
If Geelong or Carlton are somehow given draft picks before us I'll lose my mind. Fair enough if it is a concession pick but surely they couldn't assess the draft order based off the number of wins in a season :drunk:

A few thoughts/things:

1) I personally rate the two Jasmines as the most valuable players on our list, accounting for the 30-year milestone a couple of our leaders will be chalking up before next season. But regardless of what I think, Grierson made the AA squad as an 18-year-old, and we traded our highest draft pick (12th) to bring her to North Melbourne.

2) At this point in time delistings are probably (or should be) the furthest thing from the minds of Gowans and co. My guess is they are just focusing on trying to limit the number of free-agent departures before worrying about anything else.

3) If consistency means anything, draft pick order will be dictated by finishing position after finals in the same way we got to go fourth-last in 2015 (before trades, of course) despite winning less games than Sydney. EDIT: Meant to add, it will mean little in relation to Geelong since they have a zone of their own but it does matter in regards to Carlton and the other Vic clubs.

4) Congratulations to five of our girls (an entire one selection more than the pillaged ruins of Brisbane, even though their two dual-All Australians missed the cut this time around) on cracking the AA squad of 40 this year, including a predictable breakthrough appearance for Jenna Bruton.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-03-21/aflw-all-australians
The performances of five North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos’ players have been recognised, earning selection in the 2019 Virgin Australia AFL Women’s All-Australian Squad.

Skipper Emma Kearney is joined by Jess Duffin, Emma King, Jas Garner and Jenna Bruton, who were all shining lights in North’s inaugural season in the expanded AFLW competition.

Short a Jamie Stanton for my liking but I can live with that as long as the final team isn't absolutely butchered.

Last edited:
Conference system worked well.

Geelong kicked their first score with 4.40 left in the game. Ended up with 1.1.7. Deserved finalists.

What a joke the Conference system. If the AFL really wants AFLW to be a genuine competition, then they need to respect it and be substantially better from here on. How can the AFL expect fans to respect the competition, if they themselves do not respect it?

Next year with 4 (I think it will be) more teams, they should be prepared to extend the season to 13 rounds so that everyone plays everyone else once.

Otherwise why bother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a joke the Conference system. If the AFL really wants AFLW to be a genuine competition, then they need to respect it and be substantially better from here on. How can the AFL expect fans to respect the competition, if they themselves do not respect it?

Next year with 4 (I think it will be) more teams, they should be prepared to extend the season to 13 rounds so that everyone plays everyone else once.

Otherwise why bother.
Because demographic increase.

Otherwise why bother.
I agree.

I assume that the AFL wants to 'protect' the men's competition, and not cannibalise attendance and viewing numbers, presumably because the TV rights provide most of their income. But it's a short-term view. If the status quo continues, women will realise that the AFL isn't taking their competition seriously, and the AFL will be losing the opportunity to grow the women's competition into a genuine source of income in it's own right.

Last edited:
I think from the media I've seen that they are trying to find a window to fit the comp in without clashing with other sports. There has been some talk of it starting a week or two after the men's Grand Final which I think wouldn't be too bad. I actually think that if you played it around the same time it currently is and extended the season having games before AFL games it could work but the way the AFL has ditched the women's comp on the back of it's main product kicking off would have to change. Say for example the women's comp ran concurrently with the men's culminating in finals during the Bye weeks it might work.

Geelong had the lowest % in the whole thing, it was a joke they made finals. If that had just swapped us and geelong over I think it would have papered over the cracks. Was odd to put us in the stronger conference when it was fairly obvious we would be a stronger side, they knew it as they penalised us in the draft.

They are going to keep the conference system, I have no doubt, but I hope they make a change to it. The top teams in each conference qualify, and then the two next best records, similar to what the NFL.

A substantial four North Melbourne players selected in this year's All Australian team, pretty good for a mob that didn't even make finals!

Duffin across half-back, Kearney on the wing, Garner at CHF and a bench spot for King. 3 x AFLW AA jumpers for Emma Kearney now, Melbourne's Karen Paxman and Adelaide's Chelsea Randall the only other players to have achieved that feat.

Emma King was the highest-placed Roo in the League B&F ending up in equal-fourth but, like everybody else, finishing a long way back from Erin Phillips on 19 votes.

North Melbourne leaderboard
7 - Emma King
6 - Jenna Bruton
6 - Jess Duffin
3 - Jamie Stanton
3 - Emma Kearney
2 - Kate Gillespie-Jones
1 - Ash Riddell

Check out the North AFLW twitter account or this article on the club website if you wanna see who polled what when.

Last edited:
A substantial four North Melbourne players selected in this year's All Australian team, pretty good for a mob that didn't even make finals!

Duffin across half-back, Kearney on the wing, Garner at CHF and a bench spot for King. 3 x AFLW AA jumpers for Emma Kearney now, Melbourne's Karen Paxman and Adelaide's Chelsea Randall the only other players to have achieved that feat.

Emma King was the highest-placed Roo in the League B&F ending up in equal-fourth but, like everybody else, finishing a long way back from Erin Phillips on 19 votes.

North Melbourne leaderboard
7 - Emma King
6 - Jenna Bruton
6 - Jess Duffin
3 - Jamie Stanton
3 - Emma Kearney
2 - Kate Gillespie-Jones
1 - Ash Riddell

Check out the North AFLW twitter account or this article on the club website if you wanna see who polled what when.
Go Emma K, so consistently good. A really nicxe surprise to see Jas Garner named, but Bruton unlucky to miss AA selection

what do our girls do in the off season? My wife works with one of the Geelong AFLW girls and she says the whole team goes immediately into the VFL, surely this is going to be a big advantage to them if they are going to now play a long VFL season together

what do our girls do in the off season? My wife works with one of the Geelong AFLW girls and she says the whole team goes immediately into the VFL, surely this is going to be a big advantage to them if they are going to now play a long VFL season together
I’d assume majority of them will go play with Melb Uni? Pretty sure Scott Gowans is the coach of the VFL team as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back