News NMFC AFLW 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it emerged on Wednesday that North Melbourne would not offer former Magpie marquee Moana Hope a contract for next season.
Hope kicked eight goals in seven games for the Roos in 2019, however the club decided to head in a different direction. It leaves Hope, 31, in limbo as she weighs up her options for next season.

North are expected to lose Jamie Stanton to Gold Coast.

And it emerged on Wednesday that North Melbourne would not offer former Magpie marquee Moana Hope a contract for next season.
Hope kicked eight goals in seven games for the Roos in 2019, however the club decided to head in a different direction. It leaves Hope, 31, in limbo as she weighs up her options for next season.

Brutal
BFNAAK gets tossed after a year
She’d be shattered lol
The NAB campaign is built on her too

Spoke to a coach during our first game at North Hobart oval, he mentioned the opinion around footy circles is that Hope was quite lazy on field, had all the talent in the world but was let down by her effort on field.

He pointed out a few things she did during the game which were indicative (in his opinion) of a poor attitude on field, one of which was being the only person in the vicinity not to run over and congratulate one of the girls on kicking her first goal, which was made out to be a pretty big thing by everyone else on field.

Wonder if thats one of the reasons shes not being renewed.

Spoke to a coach during our first game at North Hobart oval, he mentioned the opinion around footy circles is that Hope was quite lazy on field, had all the talent in the world but was let down by her effort on field.

He pointed out a few things she did during the game which were indicative (in his opinion) of a poor attitude on field, one of which was being the only person in the vicinity not to run over and congratulate one of the girls on kicking her first goal, which was made out to be a pretty big thing by everyone else on field.

She is not coachable at all
Good for a couple of snaps here and there
Definitely not a modern day footballer

Damn, I wanted Robbie Tarrant to play his entire career with us. Now that won't happen since he was the only one of our players not to get around TT when he kicked his 1st goal.

jess_1804

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damn, I wanted Robbie Tarrant to play his entire career with us. Now that won't happen since he was the only one of our players not to get around TT when he kicked his 1st goal.
Despite Ben McKay yelling at him and pointing to get down there. Had a bit of a giggle at that.

So that’s 2 from the senior list gone if true
6 more to go
My bet Haines twins delisted plus maddy Smith, Jessie Williams, nanscawn and maybe bannister the final one
That’s without anyone else being poached, surely we lose maybe 1 or 2 more to the expansions. I’d hope we keep Bannister, looked lively when she finally got to play and still very young.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

Sorry to hear that. I understand it with the list numbers and process as they are, but she’s still a good presence for the public face of the club, and she spoke so beautifully about it, publicly and privately.

Sorry to hear that. I understand it with the list numbers and process as they are, but she’s still a good presence for the public face of the club, and she spoke so beautifully about it, publicly and privately.

She kicked 8 goals, which isn't a trivial number of goals, she is still equal 5th in the competition for goals per game.

Sad it has ended this way.

That’s a surprise, I reckon she had a good season and offered a fair bit. I know there’s going to be some surprises based on the amount of delistings required so she may get a recall.

I saw Abba before the Brisbane game and had a quick chat and she was really nice. She pointed out some girls might get delisted and re-signed.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Wow, North's AFLW football department have the fortitude to act quicker than the men's crew ever have.

Kudos to Hope for the passion she's put in off-field for us. On-field she had talent no doubt but was tending to be a bit of a late career Mark Taylor.

Fwiw the 2 changes so far are consistent my opinion a couple of pages back-

On the fringe:
Lynch - will probably go to Richmond
Mesiti
Humphries - club will rate higher, ball use suspect

Stanton - ditto

Other:
Bannister – looks a quality player but hard to assess her ranking
Hope – a wildcard, would guess will be retained but quite hard to exactly rank

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
She kicked 8 goals, which isn't a trivial number of goals, she is still equal 5th in the competition for goals per game.

Sad it has ended this way.
Good big kick and took some nice contested marks, also not trivial in his competition. Oh well, have to wait and see.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've heard rumours that Hope will be selected by the male team in the mid-season draft because he output is higher than Kayne Turner.

She must be commanding a pretty penny due to her popularity for them to cut her loose.

jess_1804

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mo’s started with the cryptic message on Instagram:

“What player welfare?”

Who is the first person to Bannister?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
AFLW would be a hard gig to manage player expectations for because you can't reassure anyone of anything knowing everyone in the league is a free agent each season so your list could swing dramatically up or down accordingly.

Can't really implement a gradual list build strategy, yet anyway.

Mo is terribly over rated on field imo but certainly worth keeping just for the PR stuff if you ask me. Kids look up to her for some reason and she could have been a huge asset.

Mo’s started with the cryptic message on Instagram:

“What player welfare?”
Screenshot_20190404-112440_Instagram.jpg

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
And straight to the woe is me card she goes.

It looks that way. Will be interesting to hear her side of the story.

From the outside it's hard to understand what a player in their twilight years in a 7 week season semi-pro sport based on 1-year contracts would've expected in terms of 'player welfare' that hasn't been provided.

Will wait and see. She seems unlikely to go unheard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back