News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next up will be a team in Victorian Wheelchair League.
Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, Richmond and St. Kilda already have teams, surely we are going to jump on that bandwagon as well.

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, Richmond and St. Kilda already have teams, surely we are going to jump on that bandwagon as well.
kinda s**t to put them down as just a bandwagon

Unexpected move - I thought the benefits of the Melbourne Uni ties would outweigh those of a full in-house program for a while yet. It certainly helped at us up with a great starting list. Looking forward to it, though. More North Melbourne, more Arden st.

Better to wait it out, sure. I’m pretty sure the “women playing football” bandwagon won’t last much longer.

Ona completely different subject, which it is, a friend of mine was involved in coaching a blind footy team with Hawthorn this year and couldn’t speak highly enough of the experience. It’s a great game and great to see professional clubs helping more people enjoy playing it.

is having all these extra teams a drain on our limited resources or are they a money spinner
The club's official word on that to date was perhaps summed up clearest in the Arden Prospectus under the heading "Sustainability" and sub-heading "Financial":
North Melbourne’s AFLW venture is predicted to be a profitable one, with significant sponsorship and Government funding opportunities.

Difficult to put that to the test before the annual financial report comes out for our inaugural women's season. Melbourne's report last year had this to say on page 5:
AFLW and VFLW program costs totalled $1.043m during the year, comprising AFLW player payments of $0.450m and program costs of $0.401m, and VFLW program costs of $0.192m. This amount has been largely offset by revenues generated from the program of $0.886m, including sponsorship and membership support as well as AFL funding for the player payments.

The Demons did sell a home game to NT that season, but I know it definitely didn't bring in anywhere near as much as the Tas govt's sponsorship of North's AFLW team (which is $500k per year).

Unexpected move - I thought the benefits of the Melbourne Uni ties would outweigh those of a full in-house program for a while yet. It certainly helped at us up with a great starting list. Looking forward to it, though. More North Melbourne, more Arden st.
I hope that they continue to share resources and IP to keep the relationship going. I suspect long term alignment with Melbourne University would be a better bet than a Tasmanian academy which will get taken away as soon as they get a stand alone team.

I hope that they continue to share resources and IP to keep the relationship going. I suspect long term alignment with Melbourne University would be a better bet than a Tasmanian academy which will get taken away as soon as they get a stand alone team.

Agree but doubt it. Otherwise why sever the relationship?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selfishly hoping Duffin isn't planning on doing something stupid, like getting back into the Australian team for the T20 World Cup! Killing it in the WBBL this season, third for runs scored atm.

And I'm sure many here aren't interested in cricket, but... good sign of an athlete's character when they step up in the absence of a leader, which is the case currently for Duffin. Heck of a pedigree to have patrolling our backline, and of course her record in world title deciders might be handy when we need some cool heads in big games come April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back