AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team for Saturday:

Fairly sure all 24 named can take part, though it doesn't necessarily mean they will.

No Grierson, so I'll be keeping an eye on Tahni Nestor's "sharp decision-making and neat ball use under pressure" which our defence is otherwise likely to lack on the weekend. Hoping she's come on a bit since her 3 games at Carlton in 2017.

No Bresnehan either, which leaves the backline pretty weak at ground level. Maybe Gavalas or Mia King will get a run down there.

No Gibson, and if any newcomer can provide some compensatory dash off hb then it might be Gilroy the Irishwoman whose "power, speed, and ability to break the lines" is what grabbed the attention of our recruiters.

Mids and fwds basically at full strength.
I think Jas Grierson has some minor knee op. She had a bandage on at last weekends practice match.

Brit Gibson was walking the boundary last week. She was in training gear and didn’t appear to be impeded but didn’t take part in the practice match.

I’m not sure about Bresnehan. Hopefully all the girls are good to go round one.

She was on the sidelines in training/warmup gear last Saturday, too. Any word of an injury?
It'd have to be injury-related for any of the Tassie girls to miss a rare chance to train with the main group, but I haven't heard any details.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final scores: NM 5.1 6.1 7.3 8.3 (51) defeated Carl 0.1 2.3 3.4 6.7 (43)
NM Goalkickers: 2 Emma King, 2 Garner, 1 Abbatangelo, 1 Bannister, 1 Ashmore, 1 Bateman
Carl Goalkickers: 2 Harris, 2 Walker, 1 Sarah Hosking, 1 McEvoy
(think the above is all correct, but the club will release a report later today along with some video highlights etc)

Putting aside the usual just-a-practice-match disclaimer, I think the big new takeaway from this encounter is that there weren't any big new takeaways!

Same strengths as last year on show right from the go: hard-working mids able to get it into the forward-line quickly and a lot of different scoring options to take advantage of the service. And as expected our somewhat undermanned backline struggled a bit, felt like Carlton were getting a decent chance to score on almost every F50 entry in the second half (kinda reminiscent of our loss to Adelaide, except they had more efficient converters).

Our girls were definitely spent by the fourth quarter, and we also started trying unlikely centre-square combos (Bruton and Gavalas in there together at the same time, for example, looked comical). Carlton's mids clearly ran out the game better, and you can make up your own mind if that is an endorsement of the Blues' fitness or a condemnation of their lacklustre effort early on.

But it turned into a very hard-fought and entertaining contest, plenty of games with premiership points on the line won't be anywhere near as intense or skillful.

We killed them early on and were unstoppable. Emma Kearney is a machine and was everywhere, she reads the play better than most and gets ahead of the ball especially after a turn over.

There was clearly a scoring end but the main reason they came back towards the end was we took most of our better players off the ground. I don’t think Kearney or Emma King played at all in the final term and I reckon Jenna Bruton’s time on field was limited.

Last edited:
Some other things I noted. Abbey Green has been very good in the ruck. It allows King to go forward. Kate G-J had a go in there too but was not tall enough. King should still be our number one option as she is a star but we now have solid back up.

Daria Bannister and Beth Lynch are the two stand out improvers from last season. Daria is hard at it, has a low centre of gravity and is hard to stop. Beth Lynch hates getting beaten and is getting to a lot of contests.

Ellie Gavalas is an astute pick up. She is a good option through the middle and has tidy disposal.

We played with the defenders pushing up the ground. A lot of their goals were from a ‘Pagan’s Paddock’, players running into space. Tahlia Randall was very good in defence but was often one out against greater numbers.

Aileen Gilroy is a very good pick up. She had a fair bit of the ball and seems to like the physical stuff. Tahni Nestor was good too and Sarah Wright also had a fair bit of it. They should all improve the side from last year.

Nicole Bresnehan and one of the Haines twins were sitting in the coaches box. Brit Gibson was on the side lines but told me it was just that they were taking care of her and she is good to go for round one.

Ever considered buying an AFLW membership? Well if you were going to and haven’t yet you can register to get a call from one of the girls. I suspect RobZombie will be waiting to hear from Abba ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back