AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the little I saw between flicking to Skychannel for the races, looked like not a bad debut for the Irish girl we are sponsoring, some great tackles laid and can kick > 20m, as previously mentioned, umpiring seemed very one sided to me, but guess we should get used to that, plenty to work on during the week for sure.

Thought we were poor inside, lacked a marking and goal threat. Emma King is a ruck, give her one more go inside and if it doesn’t work move her back to the ruck.

With my Irish glasses on, Gilroy for a first gamer can be happy with some learnings. She can tackle and has a boot on her. Handball needs some work and game sense too.

Very scratchy game first up. I was at the ground with no commentary so couldn’t really appreciate every detail, but from what I saw, while Melbourne got luck late with the umpiring North got some early, and really we were a bit lucky not to lose by more with a few of their kicks at goal going all over the place. Defence looked a bit shaky - without Duffin and with Gibson not at her best, it just didn’t look the solid unit we saw a lot of last year. Across the game Melbourne passed better, marked better, and were better at getting effective possessions out of the frequent scrums. On to next week.

Thought we were poor inside, lacked a marking and goal threat. Emma King is a ruck, give her one more go inside and if it doesn’t work move her back to the ruck.

With my Irish glasses on, Gilroy for a first gamer can be happy with some learnings. She can tackle and has a boot on her. Handball needs some work and game sense too.

Agree on Gilroy, I thought I saw her rock some Gaelic flick pass type affairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we blew too many chances in Q3. Wind didn't help with so many good marking players. It's Round 1 and Melbourne are far from the worst team going around - I note the Crows got rolled as well.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, blazing away in the 3rd with the GoDees loading their backline was what cost us. Loved Garner’s tackling with intent to hurt!

Having watched the North game and bits of the other games.....it's quite clear the skill level still isn't great.

Even early on a lot of the girls were trying to get meterage with their disposal. You're not gonna see the team transition the ball from one side of the ground to the other. You're not gonna see a chain of handballs/15-20m passes up the ground to break the oppositions wall.

I think the way to go is to put all your eggs in one basket......have the best players in the team rotate through the midfield.ie - you put Ashmore back in the middle, use Gillepse Jones as a midfielder instead being used as a utility player, I'd put Gibson in there too....aggressive, big physical presence. Add Kearny, Bruton, Garner & Riddell and you have a very strong midfield.

The brand would still look ugly but I think you'd win more ball have more inside 50's. You kick 4-5 goals in these games and you're a good chance of winning.

I just watched the telecast. Emma Kearney is a powerhouse. I reckon Gavalas, Saad and Gilroy were all very good on debut.

Jas Garner has a very good game but we missed her presence at CHF.

We missed Jess Duffin and her cool head at CHB. She was one of our best kicks last season and I think her kicks from defence really opened up play.

We seem to have a weakness for leaving a player unmarked in defence. It happened in the practice match against Carlton and again against the Demons. Other sides seem to play someone in a goal keeper type of role against us, we should do the same or at least have someone near enough to make a contest in the event of a turnover. I think Beth Lynch probably is the fastest of our defenders so maybe she could fill the role.

Emma King didn’t read the flight of the ball all day. The throw in’s were getting blown 4-5 metres sideways and she kept misjudging it. They were tough conditions.

Our small forwards didn’t go in for the ball enough. We kept dropping marks and they would run it out of defence while we waited to tackle them.

If the free in the first quarter against Emma King for a sling tackle was there Ash Riddell got very similar treatment in the 3rd and Daria Bannister getting driven into the dirt in the last (and doing a shoulder) deserved a free kick too.

Overall I think Melbourne played the conditions better. They seemed to set up with more loose players around the ground. We didn’t capitalise when we had our chances.

Game yesterday was frustrating. Felt like Melbourne really adapted to the conditions better and we persisted with trying to be too cute. I also couldn't see s**t. Did love Scott Gowans' obvious disappointment afterwards, especially after 10 years of Brad Scott's nothing pressers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back