AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's hardly put a foot wrong. Had the team head and shoulders in a division minor premiership and won a final. What more could he do?

What's weird is that you retain Crocker (though I love the guy) ahead of a guy who was making almost every post a winner in his role.

Why is he being let go?

Could he have stayed as an assistant and we sack the AFLW assistants instead?
Although he maybe wouldn’t have accepted a demotion and just left anyway

but agree with others should have kept his job

sack David loader and have a Heath Scotland or Leigh Adams be the VFl coach dual role with afl dev coach

there are other ways we can cut costs

It doesn't even clash with their season. The girls are here in their off-season getting fitter and more skillful and being paid for it whereas atm home they get sfa. I guarantee someone is making money in Ireland but it isn't the players.
I asked Aileen about that a few years ago at the season launch. It doesn’t clash with the All-Ireland championship but does with the club season. IMO the Irish clubs would be doing themselves a disservice by not allowing the girls to be exposed to the environment, expertise, facilities etc over here.

Oh hang on, it was only a few months ago. Frickin COVID.

Is it true that the women’s team fall under a different soft cap?

If so does this make it seem weirder?

Although even if so I guess we’re saving one full time salary.

Hope Croc can deliver. It’s not his fault but he seems to have worn a lot of hats over the years.

Dumb, dumb decision by the North, this could cost us a premiership next season. A number of the girls committed to North because of Gowans, some may see no reason to stay, especially if they haven't already signed.

Horrendous decision - bloke hasn't put a foot wrong. I'm sure he would have been willing to negotiate a role reshaped by the new reality post-pandemic (though he may have already had that convo with the club...but I doubt it). Ticks just about every box you could think of - great communicator and solid tactically, knows, loves and respects his players, considerate and generous with his time (including those of us in the media landscape) and very hungry for success without being so ravenous to lose perspective.

I really hope he gets another crack at whatever club or level he would like - genuinely the best coach I've had the pleasure of talking to in 3.5 seasons of covering the league.
If I was Richmond, I would be giving him a call. Today.

Is it true that the women’s team fall under a different soft cap?

If so does this make it seem weirder?

Although even if so I guess we’re saving one full time salary.

Hope Croc can deliver. It’s not his fault but he seems to have worn a lot of hats over the years.

It sounds like shifting money around.

Put Crockers wage on the AFLW books, removing it from and giving more room to the men's soft cap.

In the last hour or so North has (rightly) been 100% panned in the women's footy community, which we never would have imagined happening (with NMFC seen as leaders in the women's footy space).

Has the AFLW been given a guarantee it will still be on this year?
Yes. Gillon McLachlan during the "W Awards" was crystal clear about the ongoing commitment to the league.

It sounds like shifting money around.

Put Crockers wage on the AFLW books, removing it from and giving more room to the men's soft cap.

In the last hour or so North has (rightly) been 100% panned in the women's footy community, which we never would have imagined happening (with NMFC seen as leaders in the women's footy space).

Why are we getting rightly panned?

Why are we getting rightly panned?

A coach with an 11-3 record, has the team in the "premiership window", well respected by his players and the women's footy community, being sacked so a men's team scout can keep his job.

As others who have coached women's footy have commented over time (including today), coaching women's footballers is a different skill-set. You sacked someone with years of experience of coaching Youth Girls and women's football, in favour of a novice in the women's space - who to be frank, won't have the AFLW has top of his mind.

But like I said early, previously North had done a lot of positive things in the women's footy space - this today is just baffling and wrong.

A coach with an 11-3 record, has the team in the "premiership window", well respected by his players and the women's footy community, being sacked so a men's team scout can keep his job.

As others who have coached women's footy have commented over time (including today), coaching women's footballers is a different skill-set. You sacked someone with years of experience of coaching Youth Girls and women's football, in favour of a novice in the women's space - who to be frank, won't have the AFLW has top of his mind.

But like I said early, previously North had done a lot of positive things in the women's footy space - this today is just baffling and wrong.

Was he sacked based on performance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sacking reminds me of Chip Le Grands quote back from 2005 after we escaped with another close win.

"If there's a nuclear holocaust tomorrow only two things will survive. Cockroaches and Darren Crocker’s employment at the North Melbourne Football Club."

If people are upset at this then they need to get over themselves. This isn't a slap in the face to the womens game, its a business decision. Yes, it is a pity that we have had to let Gowans go, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

The club is clear that it is looking to use its multi-skilled people to work across different spaces, and in Crocker the club has someone who will bring a wealth of experience to the womens game. In fact, they should be bloody delighted to have someone who up until very recently was the NMFC Director of Coaching (so Gowans' boss and mentor effectively), who has experience as head coach at AFL level, who has been an AFL Senior Assistant for over a decade, and who has previously been recognised by his coaching peers as the leading assistant coach in the AFL. I would think he is now probably the most experienced coach in the womens game.

By all accounts Crock is a fantastic people person, very respectful, very thoughtful. I am sure given some time that he will be able to navigate the differences between coaching girls and coaching men. And I'm sure the girls will realise that s**t happens but they have in front of them a great football coach to learn from.

This sacking reminds me of Chip Le Grands quote back from 2005 after we escaped with another close win.

"If there's a nuclear holocaust tomorrow only two things will survive. Cockroaches and Darren Crocker’s employment at the North Melbourne Football Club."
Turn it up mate, CLG is a prick.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad news to lose Scott, as has been mentioned numerous times, has done nothing wrong at all, and a complete victim of circumstances of Coronavirus drama, but I would never underestimate Crock, he might surprise quite a few as new Coach, whenever they get going again.
Don’t think anyone doubts crocker

it’s more could he have replaced someone else not performing as well as Gowans cough cough David Loader

Unfortunately for Scott, having the AFLW in the premiership window isn't going to show up on the balance sheet now or anytime in the near future. It's a bad look and tough on Scott and the AFLW team, but when organisations have to make decisions based purely on dollars and cents the look and the feel don't usually come into it. The club have been excellent at inclusiveness and progressiveness for all members of the community in recent years - some would say to a fault. So I'd cut them some slack at an extremely difficult and unique time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back