AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nailed our list needs here: high quality contested inside mid, KPP and ruck.

Seems like a job well done.

Nailed our list needs here: high quality contested inside mid, KPP and ruck.

Seems like a job well done.

I thought some had suggested speedy defenders with skill was also a list need.

I think good players are adaptable so the Roos should have more options than in previous years.

I think good players are adaptable so the Roos should have more options than in previous years.
Could see Perri king start hbf as she has the pace we need along with tackling ability. Could link well with Gilroy

I think Duffin although obviously not speedy but she will be better equipped to start the season this year in the back half. Place Perri King in defence natural aggressive tackler with leg speed. I would like to see Gilroy moved to a wing where her speed which we lack through the midfield & penetration can be better utilized with run & length of kick a weapon especially if Jazzy plays more forward.
We have Gibson returning who will play forward or back l would prefer back & bring Randall as a permanent forward we were putrid with talls in the forward line last year & Emma King forward simply does not work if not surrounded by smalls. So many times it was just her or KGJ forward and the less said about that plan the better.

I think Duffin although obviously not speedy but she will be better equipped to start the season this year in the back half. Place Perri King in defence natural aggressive tackler with leg speed. I would like to see Gilroy moved to a wing where her speed which we lack through the midfield & penetration can be better utilized with run & length of kick a weapon especially if Jazzy plays more forward.
We have Gibson returning who will play forward or back l would prefer back & bring Randall as a permanent forward we were putrid with talls in the forward line last year & Emma King forward simply does not work if not surrounded by smalls. So many times it was just her or KGJ forward and the less said about that plan the better.
Randall is one of the best fullbacks in the AFLW, moving her forward is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd rather try Gibson up forward first before sacrificing one of our strengths down back, Gibson is more mobile than many think, is a good contested mark and is a long accurate kick so maybe better suited as a mobile tall in the forward half, she played there a couple of times in 2019 and did okay.

I think the idea of moving Gilroy to wing has some merit, I do feel her speed and long kicking can be wasted at times in the back half and she does look dangerous running through the centre and thumping it long and deep into the forward 50. Having Gilroy on the wing can potentially mean that Ashmore returns to the forward half, I thought she did a really good job last year on the wing, but we struggled up forward without her crumbing abilities and her reading of the play.

Anyway I thought we did pretty well in the draft this year, so the next season is going to be an interesting one.

Randall is one of the best fullbacks in the AFLW, moving her forward is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd rather try Gibson up forward first before sacrificing one of our strengths down back, Gibson is more mobile than many think, is a good contested mark and is a long accurate kick so maybe better suited as a mobile tall in the forward half, she played there a couple of times in 2019 and did okay.

I think the idea of moving Gilroy to wing has some merit, I do feel her speed and long kicking can be wasted at times in the back half and she does look dangerous running through the centre and thumping it long and deep into the forward 50. Having Gilroy on the wing can potentially mean that Ashmore returns to the forward half, I thought she did a really good job last year on the wing, but we struggled up forward without her crumbing abilities and her reading of the play.

Anyway I thought we did pretty well in the draft this year, so the next season is going to be an interesting one.

I understand DEVO & agree Randall is a high quality defender l dont think you are robbing Peter to pay Paul with Gibson returning. l also believe its more important in the AFLW that you should have most of your real marking talent forward l think thats where we made our mistakes kicking to Emma King & KGJ. Emma was serviceable but only if she could mark it. Mostly they could not even provide a contest KGJ she had no game awareness as soon as you took her off a straight line she was treacle. I think if you look at the better teams they stack talent forward that have some game awareness, tricks & can use there body that's why l want Randall forward.

Gibson is a better straight line player l think she can slip back in as a defender but she has missed a season hopefully she can adjust to the newer speed. Anyway thats what l think will work best but & if the game isn't going your way you can flip them.
We now have two tall rucks & maybe Jazzy plays more forward as well with all the midfielders we just acquired......Time will tell.

The reason Tahlia Randall left Brisbane was because they tried to play her out of position. If we don't stay firm with our commitment to giving her the opportunity she's seeking (i.e. full-time key defender), somebody else will.

There are also other reasons why moving her from the backline would be disastrous, but you either see it or you don't. Regardless, we have defenders strong in the air who actually have good experience playing forward, and we just drafted another in Tara Slender who will be used accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people cut North some slack last year because of the COVID cuts. Moving Peta Searle out and hiring in a guy who has never had any involvement in women’s football, and there is a fair bit more fury.

I wonder if players within the AFLW system prefer a coach who has had some involvement in women's football or someone who has the most experience at the highest level.

I wonder if players within the AFLW system prefer a coach who has had some involvement in women's football or someone who has the most experience at the highest level.
Experience as a player and a commentator? Maybe they’d prefer Patrick Hill, experience in coaching and already at the club.

Experience as a player and a commentator? Maybe they’d prefer Patrick Hill, experience in coaching and already at the club.

I've heard that Scott Gowans was considered. It just seems that the powers that be believe the standard of football in the AFLW and the scale of the role of head coach has gone past most of the community level coaches no matter how successful they were. Sure, they might get a gig as an assistant, but clubs just seem to prefer to put their trust in someone who has spent a lot of time in AFL clubland.

I think people cut North some slack last year because of the COVID cuts. Moving Peta Searle out and hiring in a guy who has never had any involvement in women’s football, and there is a fair bit more fury.

Interestingly nil fury from St Kilda supporter Francis Leach who took to Twitter to criticise us for not appointing the woman that applied for our AFL coaching job. Want to call him a hypocrite but he's deleted the Tweet, I guess it makes him feel better about ignoring what his own club has done.

Hopefully the dearth of female senior AFLW coaches follows the incoming player patterns.

As recently as 3-4 years ago the competition had battlers with scratchy skills, equivalent bodytypes you wouldn't associate with the men's side of the game and more than its share of opportunists from other sports.

Within a very short period the skill level across the competition has gone up ten-fold. Bodytypes as an average across lists continue to standardise into the same generalisations as the men - lower to the ground ballwinners, finer built runners and tall, rangy types.

In just short of half a decade you already have intake upon intake of girls coming in directly via AFL pathways rather than retraining at 23 from other pursuits like rowing or volleyball. The last draft was telling - clubs filling their boots with youth and passing over plenty of seasoned experienced players like KGJ.

Am guessing (and maybe hoping) this organic flurry that's seeing a new generation of girls all coming through training for then participating in the sport will produce such a proliferation of potential coaches it'll be a no-brainer for clubs to start giving them more opportunities. Hopefully with a spillover into AFL too.

By 2030-2035, you'll have 100s of girls who have been drafted into a topline system and played 200+ games. At the moment that demographic virtually doesn't exist.

I understand that the "pathways, be patient" argument is being pilloried on socials as some sort of mansplaining but I have no doubt that there will be a number of female head coaches in the years ahead as the likes of Emma Kearney, Jess Duffin, Bri Davey, Karen Paxman, Daisy Pearce, Kiara Bowers Chelsea Randall and Erin Phillips get to the end of the playing careers. All of these women have terrific footy brains and if they choose to put themselves through the coaching course accreditation levels, and maybe serve time as an assistant, then clubs will be climbing over each other to sign any one of them as their head coach in the future.

Hopefully the dearth of female senior AFLW coaches follows the incoming player patterns.

As recently as 3-4 years ago the competition had battlers with scratchy skills, equivalent bodytypes you wouldn't associate with the men's side of the game and more than its share of opportunists from other sports.

Within a very short period the skill level across the competition has gone up ten-fold. Bodytypes as an average across lists continue to standardise into the same generalisations as the men - lower to the ground ballwinners, finer built runners and tall, rangy types.

In just short of half a decade you already have intake upon intake of girls coming in directly via AFL pathways rather than retraining at 23 from other pursuits like rowing or volleyball. The last draft was telling - clubs filling their boots with youth and passing over plenty of seasoned experienced players like KGJ.

Am guessing (and maybe hoping) this organic flurry that's seeing a new generation of girls all coming through training for then participating in the sport will produce such a proliferation of potential coaches it'll be a no-brainer for clubs to start giving them more opportunities. Hopefully with a spillover into AFL too.

By 2030-2035, you'll have 100s of girls who have been drafted into a topline system and played 200+ games. At the moment that demographic virtually doesn't exist.
I understand that the "pathways, be patient" argument is being pilloried on socials as some sort of mansplaining but I have no doubt that there will be a number of female head coaches in the years ahead as the likes of Emma Kearney, Jess Duffin, Bri Davey, Karen Paxman, Daisy Pearce, Kiara Bowers Chelsea Randall and Erin Phillips get to the end of the playing careers. All of these women have terrific footy brains and if they choose to put themselves through the coaching course accreditation levels, and maybe serve time as an assistant, then clubs will be climbing over each other to sign any one of them as their head coach in the future.
I wonder how many years until women are given jobs in coaching to take steps on the pathway - and then I wonder if all their coaching accreditation’s and experience will be worth as much as a middling AFLM playing career when it comes time to hire senior coaches.

I wonder how many years until women are given jobs in coaching to take steps on the pathway - and then I wonder if all their coaching accreditation’s and experience will be worth as much as a middling AFL playing career when it comes time to hire senior coaches.

I share this concern but taking a step back, at the moment there aren't women with 10 years of full league size AFLW experience going around. So unfortunately the industry is deeming AFL players with this length of tenure the best available fit.

As I suggested, when there are several women with 200+ AFLW game bodies of work in the frame then we'll have a clearer picture if there's unreasonable bias towards hiring male coaches.

This is a good shout I reckon Erin Phillips will definetly coach an SA side

and the other gun women’s players you named could also end up coaches

I wonder how many years until women are given jobs in coaching to take steps on the pathway - and then I wonder if all their coaching accreditation’s and experience will be worth as much as a middling AFL playing career when it comes time to hire senior coaches.

Some of the best coaches of all time have had middling AFL playing careers. Clarko, Jeans, and Pagan for example.

The highest and most intense level of the sport is men's AFL. Its rare that players who haven't been exposed to that level ever coach and its rare that players who haven't been exposed to one of several stables of coaches ever coach either. Even rarer that they win flags. Look at how many players Pagan coached who have won premierships for example.

I guess the real issue here is whether players like Kearney or Phillips (or others maybe not big name players too) will get the same access to those pathways after their careers, (obviously male footballers still have some entrenched attitudes that will need to be overcome and as long as they run the sport that will be an issue.)

Also, aside from rare outliers like Noble and Fagan, there are very few if any coaches that haven't come from successful clubs/systems that trace their lineage back to Barassi, Hafey, Jeans.

Without access to one of those footy lineages it will be hard for any women to make it as coaches in the men's or women's comp simply because they won't have access to the best preparation to coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back