AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFLW head coach roles providing sweet cushy coaching gigs for the girls as well as the boys now, eh?

FIFY.

1E2A5971.jpg

That’s a shame, she is a star. I wonder if she would switch clubs.
The expectation of some (many? all?) was that she'd be going to Essendon as one of their marquee signings next year. From their first (failed) bid for an AFLW team in 2017:

Doesn't guarantee anything though, plenty of examples where it hasn't worked out that way (otherwise we'd have Jess Wuetschner, Ellie Blackburn and Monique Conti all playing for us).

The expectation of some (many? all?) was that she'd be going to Essendon as one of their marquee signings next year. From their first (failed) bid for an AFLW team in 2017:

Doesn't guarantee anything though, plenty of examples where it hasn't worked out that way (otherwise we'd have Jess Wuetschner, Ellie Blackburn and Monique Conti all playing for us).

I saw Maddy Prespakis at the game when our girls played Essendon, she was watching her sister who played for the Bombers. They might end up with a good team 😒

I didn’t get a spot at the trials for North.

I think it just comes down to the lack of experience which I know the reason as I fully back in my skill and ability to eventually play at that level. I’m totally fine with this because it’s not my main goal anyways and if I don’t end up reaching any of them such as getting into NAB league, I’ll grind out a season at division 1 or VAFA and enter from there, I’m still young and got plenty of opportunity ahead.

I didn’t get a spot at the trials for North.

I think it just comes down to the lack of experience which I know the reason as I fully back in my skill and ability to eventually play at that level. I’m totally fine with this because it’s not my main goal anyways and if I don’t end up reaching any of them such as getting into NAB league, I’ll grind out a season at division 1 or VAFA and enter from there, I’m still young and got plenty of opportunity ahead.
Ash Riddell was repeatedly overlooked by AFLW clubs, don't forget!

Ash Riddell was repeatedly overlooked by AFLW clubs, don't forget!
Yeah! I read about that some time ago. Would have been an awesome opportunity but there is always next year!

Yeah keep at it. I keep seeing Crocks through the sponsorship program so I’ll have a stern word with him.
Hahahaha my friend who played VFLW for us got delisted this couple weeks ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/1029834/daisy-s-climate-change-action

For Daisy Bateman, one-percenters transcend the field of play.

Much like the subtle tap to advantage, the smother, the spoil or that extra bit of pressure, the North Melbourne forward is cognisant of the smaller measures one can take to alleviate the threat that is climate change.

It’s why she decided to throw her support, and her skill set, behind the AFL Players for Climate Action (AFLP4CA) movement.

Bateman is currently studying a Bachelor of Arts and Communication degree, majoring in journalism and creative writing, but has discovered a passion for filmmaking and videography along the way.

Her expertise recently came to the fore as the group, led by ex-North Melbourne and Port Adelaide defender Jasper Pittard, made its official launch.

“I volunteered my skills, because you can easily film and put something together for something so powerful,” she told aflplayers.com.au.

“We took a shoot for about six hours at Victoria Park (in Collingwood) with Jasper and Tom [Campbell], and about six or seven [other] players rolled through. They were all already part of the climate action group.

“It was a really great experience and really fun to film.”

The video features words from Bateman, Pittard, Campbell, Emma Kearney, Dyson Heppell, Darcy Vescio, Mitch Lewis, Jordan Roughead, Tom De Koning and Luke McDonald.

The group use their football profiles to make a call to action.

“People will listen to us, I think, because we do play footy and it’s something that’s quite popular in society. It’s better that we do use our platform for the greater good,” Bateman explained.

Bateman’s interest in the cause was initially piqued by its co-founder in Campbell, who also assisted in North Melbourne’s women’s program.

“Jasper did a lot of work with our AFLW team, so did Tom Campbell. They both were quite involved. One day, I was walking out the front of Arden Street, and Tom came up to me and basically just said they were starting a climate action group and wondered if I would be interested. I was like, ‘Yeah, absolutely’,” Bateman recalled.

The 21-year-old learnt more about the campaign over coffee with Pittard, and specifically, how players could use their stage to inspire societal change.

“That really appealed to me,” Bateman said. “It’s better that you use your platform for something greater than just playing footy. We’re very fortunate to be in the position that we are and obviously it’s quite a prevalent issue in society today.”

Of course, there are those that argue politics and sport should be detached from one another.

But for Bateman, it is not an issue for political debate. Due to its holistic impact, she explains, climate change is a problem the world faces, and one that needs to be addressed by all of its custodians.

“Everyone has kids, everyone has the younger generation in their lives, and I think people think climate change only affects far-off countries around the world,” Bateman said.

“We, as players, have the responsibility, because we’re people, too. We grow up in the same environment that everyone else does. We have the responsibly to maintain the world in which we live. We’re setting up the world for the younger generation coming through.”

How, then, can you play your role?

As Bateman says, it comes back to those one-percenters.

“Something as basic as carpooling could be one,” Bateman told aflplayers.com.au.

“Plastic waste, using reusable bags when you go to the shops. Even taking a box into a shop, as silly as it sounds. Something as basic as turning your lights off when you aren’t using them. Investing in solar energy. Walk to places that are around the corner, don’t always get in your car and drive.”

A lot of the vacuous s**t young players get up tends to get posted and discussed on here. It's worth looking at constructive stuff like this that up and comers like Daisy et al are also involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back