AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that leaves us with four more players to draft on October 6th.

Haven't seen what pick we're using on Amy, but given Melbourne didn't place a bid on her, probably suggests it's one of our lower ones. Surprised to see her confined to ground level in her highlights package, though you can't read much into that considering it's surprising to see any highlights at all at this point.

Btw, news from last week: Jess Duffin won't be playing WBBL this season (taking place in a Sydney hub from late October to the end of November), announcing that her body isn't up to speed yet. Two ways to interpret that from a NMFC perspective, with the optimistic one being that it leaves her more time to prepare for footy!

Shaun Smith supportive of daughter Amy, signed by AFLW club North Melbourne
Daniel Cherny
By Daniel Cherny
Updated September 29, 2020 — 5.51pmfirst published at 5.31pm

Shaun Smith is supportive of his daughter's entry into the AFLW competition despite the lingering effects of his head trauma suffered while playing football.

Amy Smith, 21, has joined North Melbourne, a move which will be formalised at next week's AFLW draft after the Kangaroos nominated her as a father-daughter selection.

Shaun, 51, played 47 games for North as well as 62 for Melbourne, where his son Joel is an AFL-listed player.

Shaun Smith and Amy Smith.

Shaun Smith and Amy Smith.

Formerly a basketballer, 170-centimetre Amy only took up football seriously last year, winning a senior premiership in the Essendon District league with Aberfeldie. She was signed by Williamstown in the VFLW but the season did not proceed because of COVID-19.

North have earmarked her for a role either in defence or the midfield.

Shaun, famous for his "mark of the century" while playing for the Dees at the Gabba in 1995, last month made headlines after receiving a $1.4 million insurance payout in relation to ongoing mental health issues which he says are related to concussions suffered during his career.

He said he supported his children in following their dreams but was mindful of the risks associated with football.

Shaun Smith and THAT mark in the 1990s.

Shaun Smith and THAT mark in the 1990s.Credit:The Age

"Obviously she was a very good basketballer. You might have liked to see how she would have gone that way. Same with Joel. I can just back my kids up. I can't tell them what to do. It's their life," Smith told The Age on Tuesday.

"But obviously they know what's happened to me. I know they are fully aware if there are head knocks involved they would be very conservative in the treatment side of things, returning to play protocols, because they've obviously seen the downsides of it with the way I was going about things."

Shaun has been impressed by his daughter's rapid progress.

"Amy hasn't played a lot of footy up until now. Her progress over the last couple of years has been quite amazing. North have been talking to her for a little bit, so have Melbourne.

Amy Smith.

Amy Smith.

"She only started playing footy at the start of last year.

"She's come a long, long way. I was on Open Mike six months before Amy started playing footy. Mike asked me, 'do you think Amy will play footy?' and I said 'nah, nah.' It just came out of left-field. Obviously we support her in anything she does."

Amy would also have been eligible to be picked up as a father-daughter player by the Dees, but they chose not to nominate her.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_13.jpg

SARAH HARTWIG
Pos
Defender
Ht 174cm, DOB 12/4/02
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Hartwig is a clean defender who reads the play really well and is strong overhead. She's composed in high-pressure situations and makes good decisions when clearing the play. Hartwig is experienced, having played football from a young age, and has got the ability to push further up the ground if needed.

If not her? North Melbourne traditionally plays its cards very close to its chest, with this selection being tough to get a read on. Mimi Hill, Isabella Eddey and Eliza McNamara could all slot into this pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a funny way of saying North Melbourne always end up with a late first pick, even when they're entering as an expansion club.

I think the cards close to the chest thing has been mentioned on a few of the AFLW podcasts last year. Gavalas at 10 was a surprise given the talk pre 2019 draft from the club was around getting taller players early. That may have been misdirection or how they felt at that time.

I think there will be some good options at North Melbourne’s pick, whether it is Hartwig , one of the others mentioned, someone who slides or a left field option who fills a need.

Pick 13 North Melbourne

ISABELLA EDDEY
Pos
Outside midfielder
Ht 162cm, DOB 11/2/02

A classy outside midfielder, Eddey is an excellent user of the footy with sharp vision and a more-than-tidy side-step. She has a silky kick and is great at setting up teammates in scoring positions. Eddey is able to hit the scoreboard herself and is a strong runner, covering the ground well.

“Bella has genuine speed and class and is a great ground-level player,” North AFLW list and performance manager, Rhys Harwood said.

“She has an innate ability to make things happen with ball in hand, and she will add a real point of difference to our midfield and forward half.

“Players with this level of class are hard to find, so we are thrilled to add both a quality player and an outstanding person into our program.”

Pick 13 North Melbourne

ISABELLA EDDEY
Pos
Outside midfielder
Ht 162cm, DOB 11/2/02

A classy outside midfielder, Eddey is an excellent user of the footy with sharp vision and a more-than-tidy side-step. She has a silky kick and is great at setting up teammates in scoring positions. Eddey is able to hit the scoreboard herself and is a strong runner, covering the ground well.
Someone with a similar skillset would be nice addition to the mens team.

Nat Edwards made mention that 600 women applied for the draft. Not all would be of AFLW quality, but that is quite a number considering the AFLW is only 4/5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back