AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLLINGWOOD 1.0 1.2 4.4 7.5 (47)
NORTH MELB. 1.2 1.3 3.4 5.5 (35)

Coll goals: Velardo (2), Alexander, Molloy, Moloney, Newman, O’Dea
NM goals: Bateman (2), Hammond (2), Brown

NM injuries: none, although Duffin (adductor) and Gibson (hamstring) did not play. Article says they will be available for round one. If I recall correctly, Duffin missed R1 of 2018 with the same injury, which makes this instance sound more like a precaution.

Interesting that she says they want to be at their best at finals time. I know from speaking to some of the girls at the end of the first year they were really tired. I wonder if they are approaching it slightly differently so they peak when it counts.
As time goes on its developing into a more professional league. Looking forward to this year

Interesting that she says they want to be at their best at finals time. I know from speaking to some of the girls at the end of the first year they were really tired. I wonder if they are approaching it slightly differently so they peak when it counts.

That said we were still top of the division (ahem) and won our final before the AFL decided on a 14 week top 15 finals format just as the Covid lockdowns began.

So with Elisha King gone for the season:(, what does our best 21 look like now. Using Doc's attempt as a starting point I thought I'd give it a stab :)

B: Danielle Hardiman, Aileen Gilroy
HB: Jess Duffin, Tahlia Randall, Jasmine Grierson
C: Emma Kearney, Jasmine Garner, Ellie Gavalas
FOL: Viv Saad, Jenna Bruton, Ash Riddell
HF: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Daisy Bateman
F: Sophie Abbatangelo, Emma King
INT: Isabella Eddey, Mia King, Grace Campbell, Sarah Wright, Brittany Gibson

Couldn't find a spot for Tahni Nestor, Nicole Bresenehan (we are very strong for defensive talent), Daria Bainnister (who think may be injured and could miss the start of season) or Beth Lynch. The other five (Brooke Brown, Katelyn Cox, Georgia Hammond, Alice O'Loughlin and Amy Smith) I don't know enough about, but hopefully one at least can surprise during the course of the season and push their way in.

Hammond did well in the Practice match and is likely to be strongly considered for Round 1.

Having said that it took Mia King a few weeks to crack the squad last year so it may be a matter of needing a spot to open up first.

Bresnehan would be unlucky to miss out of a full strength side but will be dependable to play her role whenever required.

The Herald Sun had their list of the Top 30 AFLW players and four North Melbourne players made their list.

1. Jasmine Garner
4. Emma Kearney
15. Ash Riddell
18. Jenna Burton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't think of Sunday afternoon matches as something to be relegated to, they get more exposure in AFLW than any other timeslot. The move for Round 2 means an additional match on Channel 7 for us.

I wouldn't think of Sunday afternoon matches as something to be relegated to, they get more exposure in AFLW than any other timeslot. The move for Round 2 means an additional match on Channel 7 for us.
Ah that is a good point i hadnt considered. More just had plans both to go to the game with a few mates, now its a maybe if they can still go, and drinks after take a much more reserved if at all feeling with no sunday buffer for work.

Ah that is a good point i hadnt considered. More just had plans both to go to the game with a few mates, now its a maybe if they can still go, and drinks after take a much more reserved if at all feeling with no sunday buffer for work.
Wouldn't be surprised if we end up in Melbourne on Saturday for R3 (currently fixtured to play in Freo that week, seems like a decent chance of that changing too), for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back