AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still finding it hard to get over too. Kashy is an absolute gem. I hope all the girls know how proud everyone is of them, not just for this season but for how they have performed since they entered the comp. I haven't watched the replay but still feel we were stiffed by the umpies...again! Does anyone know if the girls (or some of them) will play for the VFLW team now?

Very disappointed for the girls. They have been our shining light the last 2 years and were in my view cruelly robbed of a chance at a Flag in 2020. Instead of playing the two prelims last year, the AFL should have gone straight to a GF, Freo versus us in Perth.

I saw Trent Cooper quoted as saying Freo went out so early after dominating last year because they hadn’t improved enough, just stayed where they were (as good as that was), and AFLW is the fastest-improving competition that exists. I think that probably goes for North too.

I saw Trent Cooper quoted as saying Freo went out so early after dominating last year because they hadn’t improved enough, just stayed where they were (as good as that was), and AFLW is the fastest-improving competition that exists. I think that probably goes for North too.

I agree. Opportunities are very hard to come by and last year was the year for Freo or us; and I think we were better placed than them, apart from their home ground advantage.

In my opinion the competition will be tougher next year and we will need to improve, not least in attack where I think we need another tall marking option.

It appeared to me that we tried to use Emma King as our tall, going forward most of the time after taking the centre bounces and Vivien Saad doing most of the around the ground work. I wonder if they contemplated using Vivien more as a key forward and leaving Emma to play a more kick behind the play role? While Vivien may not be as a strong a mark as Emma, she is always hard at the ball and would be likely to give our small forwards lots of opportunities to crumb and goal.

Very disappointed for the girls. They have been our shining light the last 2 years and were in my view cruelly robbed of a chance at a Flag in 2020. Instead of playing the two prelims last year, the AFL should have gone straight to a GF, Freo versus us in Perth.

Thankfully it appears the 2021 season will get completed in its intended way and the best 2 teams will play off in the Grand Final.

Hopefully North can now reflect on what it needs to do to get better so they can be top 4 contenders next season which hopefully is a much more normal season than 2020 and 2021.

It appeared to me that we tried to use Emma King as our tall, going forward most of the time after taking the centre bounces and Vivien Saad doing most of the around the ground work. I wonder if they contemplated using Vivien more as a key forward and leaving Emma to play a more kick behind the play role? While Vivien may not be as a strong a mark as Emma, she is always hard at the ball and would be likely to give our small forwards lots of opportunities to crumb and goal.

Viv's weapon is her bodywork in rucking around the ground where she can out position her opponent. She does not have height or an elite leap so her only chance of being effective in the forward line is if she is one out with a single opponent that she can out position. We need someone who can lead up and also crash packs. I don't think that's Viv.

Rewatching the last quarter my god hardiman was poor and to a lesser extent Wright also
just fresh air spoils costing us goals

the pies first goal to Stratton was due to hardiman missing the spoil and the ball getting out the back to stratton

the pies second goal again due to hardiman missing a spoil it getting through to Molloy who snaps it then Wright doesn’t rush back to the goal line to touch it through

and the pies 3rd goal Wright leaves her opponent to create a 2 on 1 with hardiman on Molloy both miss the spoil and wrights opponent strolls in out the back

Wright and hardiman found wanting

Is this our lot this millenium?

We were denied initial AFLW entry with Collingwood (who run a ****ing netball team if that wasn't a curious conflict of interest) and Carlton given priority access, disregarding our MU history.

Eventually we get in and look like we've got a superstar list. Despite that - doughnuts.

We hit our straps in a season that hits Covid interference prompting the AFL to announce an extended finals grouping and schedule, almost setting it up for cancellation. Which it does. Doughnuts.

This year clinging on to the earlier list promise we start really strong, prompting a head office/media overreaction to our list quality and before we know it are kneecapped by the umpires on a weekly basis until eventual burnout. Doughnuts.

It's just so bloody modern North Melbourne as an experience to for just a second, be up and about and enjoying a brief success only to look back years later and realise we pocketed sweet FA.

It reminds me of the poster pissing contests in 2010 after we belted Richmond when even neutrals were declaring Brad Scott as a "winner" and that Richmond had a lemon in Hardwick.

Just once this millenium please let our boys or girl bloody well win something universe!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were denied initial AFLW entry with Collingwood (who run a ****ing netball team if that wasn't a curious conflict of interest) and Carlton given priority access, disregarding our MU history.

Eventually we get in and look like we've got a superstar list. Despite that - doughnuts.

We hit our straps in a season that hits Covid interference prompting the AFL to announce an extended finals grouping and schedule, almost setting it up for cancellation. Which it does. Doughnuts.

This year clinging on to the earlier list promise we start really strong, prompting a head office/media overreaction to our list quality and before we know it are kneecapped by the umpires on a weekly basis until eventual burnout. Doughnuts.

It's just so bloody modern North Melbourne as an experience to for just a second, be up and about and enjoying a brief success only to look back years later and realise we pocketed sweet FA.

It reminds me of the poster pissing contests in 2010 after we belted Richmond when even neutrals were declaring Brad Scott as a "winner" and that Richmond had a lemon in Hardwick.

Just once this millenium please let our boys or girl bloody well win something universe!!
How many times does the superstar list myth need to be dispelled.

As for 2020, we didn't hit our straps last year, all 5 wins in the H&A season were against teams who weren't even close to genuinely contending.

It doesn't take the mysterious forces of the universe to realise Gillespie-Jones, for example, should have been dropped six weeks ago. By persisting with her (a 29yo free agent from Carlton) over Grierson (22yo we traded our first pick for in 2018), it not only hurt our chances this year but could very possibly cost us in the years ahead too.

How many times does the superstar list myth need to be dispelled.

As for 2020, we didn't hit our straps last year, all 5 wins in the H&A season were against teams who weren't even close to genuinely contending.

It doesn't take the mysterious forces of the universe to realise Gillespie-Jones, for example, should have been dropped six weeks ago. By persisting with her (a 29yo free agent from Carlton) over Grierson (22yo we traded our first pick for in 2018), it not only hurt our chances this year but could very possibly cost us in the years ahead too.

Ahem.. "and look like we've got a superstar list"

What's the difference, it only ever looked that way to people who had no clue.

This poster seemed to imply our list was well built:

It's a misnomer that other expansion teams chose a long-term list build approach. They all tried to go as hard as we did, just didn't have as much success (Geelong couldn't even lure their most promising local product away from the Dees, despite their best efforts).

This poster seemed to imply our list was well built:
I haven't "implied" anything. Said it straight up, many times: we have a strong list (like half-a-dozen other teams), not a squad of superstars.

I thought Randall was at least 26. Amazing!
I assumed she was mid-20’s, so yeah pretty similar assumptions to most I’m guessing. It’s a good thing for the team that one of our key defenders is still pretty young. If we add a bit more run and a more mobile forward target through the draft/trading then the team will be in pretty good shape.

I prefer it when you post the funny stuff ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back