AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who’s done a preseason in Dec/Jan/Feb in Australia can appreciate how tough it must be for the girls. Big Kudos to them all for busting themselves in the summer heat.

That was insane weather (and timing FWIW - if they're going to do a summer comp 1pm games are frankly dangerous IMO). I was working outside in the garden yesterday for a couple of hours and spent the next 5 hours afterwards drinking around 5 litres of water. That was pretty mild work too. Crazy.

I'd really like to see the comp head towards at least a part time professional setup. If they can at least get the pay up to the level of a good median wage for the women then at least some of them can choose to be professionals - albeit it may take some time to reach close to pay parity.

Three rounds in and Ash is leading the AFLCA Player of the Year award.

AFLCA votes, R3: Gun Roo storms to the top, superstar Tiger in hot pursuit

She's very talented - as close to a pure natural footballer as I've seen in the AFLW from my relatively limited exposure. Plenty of room to develop as well - this comp needs more games for them to really move towards a professional sport.

Hopefully, Garner will unleash on the competition when the whips get cracking this season. We seem to be building up this time around. In all past seasons, we started at our peak and gradually seemed to slow down from there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Riddell's very talented - as close to a pure natural footballer as I've seen in the AFLW from my relatively limited exposure.
Always looked like a proper footballer to me too. And yet, heading into the 2017 draft, the view (which was obviously widely held, otherwise somebody would've picked her up) was this:

We look at the next generation of AFLW talent ahead of the second national draft​

ASHLEIGH RIDDELL

Athlete more than a footballer. Comes from a strong basketball background.

Well it's easy now to say how dumb that take was. But even at the time it was easy. See the example below at 16:15 (or again at 17:35).

Always looked like a proper footballer to me too. And yet, heading into the 2017 draft, the view (which was obviously widely held, otherwise somebody would've picked her up) was this:

Well it's easy now to say how dumb that take was. But even at the time it was easy. See the example below at 16:15 (or again at 17:35).

Teen Wolf, thanks for showing that clip. I've been involved with the Diamond Creek Women's Football club for 7 years (President for the last 3). We have 22 players who have made AFLW with 12 still playing. In 2016-17 we went from 3 senior teams to one with the impact of AFLW/VFLW and are now back to 2. In 2021 our senior Div 1 team were undefeated. We have just over 200 female players aged from 7 to high 30s.

Alison Downie, Carlton 2017-21, Collingwood 2022,
Ash Riddell North 2019-22,
Chloe Molloy Collingwood 2018-22,
Christina Bernardi, Collingwood 2017-18, GWS 2019, Richmond 2020-22,
Hayley Bullas West Coast 2020-22
Jess Duffin Collingwood 2017-18, North 2019-22
Katie Loynes Carlton 2017-21, GWS 2022
Kirsty Lamb West Bulldogs 2017-22
Lauren Brazzale Carlton 2017-22
Sophie Abbatangelo North 2019-22
Steph Chiocci Collingwood 2017-22
Tanya Hetheringon GWS 2018-22

Wasn't Ash invited to the draft in the expectation that she would be taken in the first or second round, only to be left on the shelf? She was definitely in the VFLW team of the year so that places her in the best 22 Victorian players that year. She had switched from junior football to basketball due to lack of pathways when there was no AFLW. She switched back to football the year prior to launch of AFLW so if clubs overlooked her because they thought she was just a basketball player, then they are all idiots.

Wasn't Ash invited to the draft in the expectation that she would be taken in the first or second round, only to be left on the shelf? She was definitely in the VFLW team of the year so that places her in the best 22 Victorian players that year. She had switched from junior football to basketball due to lack of pathways when there was no AFLW. She switched back to football the year prior to launch of AFLW so if clubs overlooked her because they thought she was just a basketball player, then they are all idiots.
It was spoken about during a televised game a few years ago (IIRC it was during our second season against Richmond) where the commentator said that Carlton and Collingwood told her to go the draft as both were going to select her, but for what ever reason they didn't. Apparently she was a little dejected, but Gowans told her not to worry, continue playing and North will select her when we enter.

They will also get to raid lists of uncontracted players. Each expansion club can take up to 14 players in this way. There will be a limit on how many can be taken from each club but I don't think the specific number has been finalised yet. I recall reading that Port Adelaide will be able to take up to 8 Crows players and Sydney can take 8 Giants, while Hawthorn and Essendon will each be limited to taking up to 4 players from each Victorian club. So that's to say, pending limits on how many players each club can lose, we could see 4 players stolen by Essendon, another 4 by Hawthorn, and still have Port Adelaide and Sydney take players from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teen Wolf, thanks for showing that clip. I've been involved with the Diamond Creek Women's Football club for 7 years (President for the last 3). We have 22 players who have made AFLW with 12 still playing. In 2016-17 we went from 3 senior teams to one with the impact of AFLW/VFLW and are now back to 2. In 2021 our senior Div 1 team were undefeated. We have just over 200 female players aged from 7 to high 30s.

Alison Downie, Carlton 2017-21, Collingwood 2022,
Ash Riddell North 2019-22,
Chloe Molloy Collingwood 2018-22,
Christina Bernardi, Collingwood 2017-18, GWS 2019, Richmond 2020-22,
Hayley Bullas West Coast 2020-22
Jess Duffin Collingwood 2017-18, North 2019-22
Katie Loynes Carlton 2017-21, GWS 2022
Kirsty Lamb West Bulldogs 2017-22
Lauren Brazzale Carlton 2017-22
Sophie Abbatangelo North 2019-22
Steph Chiocci Collingwood 2017-22
Tanya Hetheringon GWS 2018-22
Ahh I hope I didn't bring back too many bad memories with the choice of match, Prez! And I wholeheartedly endorse your snub of the current Carlton captain on principle (though I'm sure it was just an accidental omission on your behalf).

They will also get to raid lists of uncontracted players. Each expansion club can take up to 14 players in this way. There will be a limit on how many can be taken from each club but I don't think the specific number has been finalised yet. I recall reading that Port Adelaide will be able to take up to 8 Crows players and Sydney can take 8 Giants, while Hawthorn and Essendon will each be limited to taking up to 4 players from each Victorian club. So that's to say, pending limits on how many players each club can lose, we could see 4 players stolen by Essendon, another 4 by Hawthorn, and still have Port Adelaide and Sydney take players from us.
It will be a maximum of 4 players lost to expansion FA in total for each Victorian club (might be less, but certainly won't be increased from previous periods). But it doesn't matter who's contracted, anybody can walk to one of the new clubs.

It was spoken about during a televised game a few years ago (IIRC it was during our second season against Richmond) where the commentator said that Carlton and Collingwood told her to go the draft as both were going to select her, but for what ever reason they didn't. Apparently she was a little dejected, but Gowans told her not to worry, continue playing and North will select her when we enter.

Ahh I hope I didn't bring back too many bad memories with the choice of match, Prez! And I wholeheartedly endorse your snub of the current Carlton captain on principle (though I'm sure it was just an accidental omission on your behalf).

It will be a maximum of 4 players lost to expansion FA in total for each Victorian club (might be less, but certainly won't be increased from previous periods). But it doesn't matter who's contracted, anybody can walk to one of the new clubs.
TW, good point. Kerryn Harrington Carlton 2018-22. She is recorded as "joining Carlton after being introduced to football in 2017 as a midfielder for Bendigo Thunder." Many other comments on her agree with this. However talk around the club is that she also played for us, but I haven't been able to confirm how such happened.

TW, good point. Kerryn Harrington Carlton 2018-22. She is recorded as "joining Carlton after being introduced to football in 2017 as a midfielder for Bendigo Thunder." Many other comments on her agree with this. However talk around the club is that she also played for us, but I haven't been able to confirm how such happened.
Yes Harrington played with Diamond Creek late in the 2017 VFLW season, including that grand final I posted. It's also mentioned under "Recruited from" in the footy record, which is a more detailed section this year than previously.

Which reminds me, in case anybody is interested, the AFL Record season guide for AFLW 2022 (says "r1" in the link but it's updated-ish weekly):

Yes Harrington played with Diamond Creek late in the 2017 VFLW season, including that grand final I posted. It's also mentioned under "Recruited from" in the footy record, which is a more detailed section this year than previously.

Which reminds me, in case anybody is interested, the AFL Record season guide for AFLW 2022 (says "r1" in the link but it's updated-ish weekly):
Thanks, TW. I'll update our records, didn't help us though :) Darebin have the wood on us for a long period.

I have no doubt we will be proven correct, I'm pretty certain she will call it quits on her AFL career at the end of the year, she will be close to 33 at the end of this season and I think even she knows her lack of pace is becoming an issue.

Agree she doesn't have many left in her. And her pace has dropped.

But her footy smarts, intercept marking and kicking are all well above average, I'd say elite.

She's the kind of play she takes three defensive marks in the early stages of a red hot last quarter in a final and blunts and opposition surge.

200.gif

Agree she doesn't have many left in her. And her pace has dropped.

But her footy smarts, intercept marking and kicking are all well above average, I'd say elite.

She's the kind of play she takes three defensive marks in the early stages of a red hot last quarter in a final and blunts and opposition surge.
That's the question Crocker and the coaching staff need to ask, has the speed and skills of the Women's games improved enough that a player with Duffin's elite footy smarts can overcome their lack of pace to still play at the top level.

Duffin is the classiest user at the club. I'd argue on either of our senior lists.

I will cockpunch any dissenter.
Is that a euphemism for your hand stimulating other utensils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back