AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kearney, abba and gavalas in (All back afternoon iso)
Craven, smith and oloughlin out

Hamilton in for Rennie if she doesn’t get up after the head knock otherwise I’d bring her in for wright and move Randall back
She was stone cold knocked out. Zero chance she plays round 2.

Good win in the end, our experienced midfielders led the way, new recruit Ferguson looks alright, her kicking was good, will be good to get the skipper back.

My top 5 : Riddell, Bruton, Ashmore, Mia King, Garner.
Not sure that I agree on top 5 for Garner, however she played well enough and suspect she's in the Wayne Carey territory of not getting acknowledged unless you take 15 marks and kick 10 goals.

Pretty forgettable game of football to be honest. Pretty poor skills and structure. Several players below their best - EKing, Gilroy, Bannister, Campbell.

Interesting it sounded like Crocks mentioned seven players had health issues over the last week. I’m hoping that means a few players were underdone in addition to the couple who were absent. If not, we have gone backwards.

Pretty forgettable game of football to be honest. Pretty poor skills and structure. Several players below their best - EKing, Gilroy, Bannister, Campbell.

Interesting it sounded like Crocks mentioned seven players had health issues over the last week. I’m hoping that means a few players were underdone in addition to the couple who were absent. If not, we have gone backwards.

For what it's worth, Geelong beat Richmond before Xmas by 4 goals and have improved significantly this season.
Plenty of upside for Kangas from today.

Unfortunately I was out all day and only caught the last quarter. From what I've read and heard, it seems Geelong are much improved while we may not be near our absolute best of a couple of years ago.

On a non-North note, it's so bloody good to see Nina Morrison playing footy again. She's a jet and I just hope her body holds up and her knee injuries haven't taken too much from her. If she stays fit, then here and the younger Presparkis is a bloody formidable 1-2 combo in that Geelong midfield.

Need more from Gilroy. There are times when gaining yardage is more important than finding a target (particularly in the women's comp) and if you have someone like her who can roost the ball 40-50 meters consistently......give her the ball and demand it!

If Garner is gonna play predominately midfield I'd like see Bannister get more space in the forward line to cause more havoc for the opposition. She can be such a dangerous forward.

Kearney's grunt and presence back in the team should give the players a boost. Which they need because yesterdays game (even if it was rd 1) can't be standard for the remainder of the season....otherwise they won't play finals.

I guess the other side on the coin is that we turned up in the last quarter and still got the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win by 8 points. Don't follow the teams too closely - what did you guys expect against the Cats?
I was thinking 4-5 goal margin at full strength, 2-3 goals with the outs we had. No surprise to see the Cats more competitive than previous years with their personnel re/additions, but it was a more congested game than I expected--not the worst preparation for next week though, playing Adelaide who will try to smother us on the soccer ground that is Norwood Oval.
Is cotton on a league wide sponsor?
Yep.

Structurally, we looked better defensively. Forced the ball in long and high, gave Duff and others heaps of time to kill the footy.

We won't bleed scores if we implement this system and it rolls out perfectly, it should hold up against better teams too.

The problem is scoring still, the same old problem with our inside 50s. Lack of key forward marking presence and crumbing, it seriously hampers our ability to have score sources which aren't centre clearances.

Mia having a great game is a good sign, exactly the sort of player we need to come on to make us a threat. Her, Daisy and Daria are vital, they deliver hard nosed pressure and a consistent threat around goal.

Kim (who is hopefully okay), will give us good flexibility with Emma. Also Ash becoming a star in her own right means we don't have to rely on a Jasmine Garner clearance all the time, which hopefully means more minutes at centre half forward.

Considering the circumstances, the wind and Round 1, it's a pass mark. Credit to them to steady when needed, but next week is a different kettle of fish and tough assignment.

Yes I think you can read the room on that one - there were, inevitably, some players in the team whose preparation was compromised

Started watching the replay last night. At the ground I barely registered Jas Garner but on TV she’s in and under a fair bit and tackling hard - yes we could somewhat cover missing Kearney and Gav but it robbed us of players like her doing their usual thing, while Daria spending time in the mids also left the forward line a bit thin, especially with Abba out.

It was tense to be there yesterday, but with our outs and the Cats’ improvement I’m now feeling more like it was a solid win.

Need more from Gilroy. There are times when gaining yardage is more important than finding a target (particularly in the women's comp) and if you have someone like her who can roost the ball 40-50 meters consistently......give her the ball and demand it!

If Garner is gonna play predominately midfield I'd like see Bannister get more space in the forward line to cause more havoc for the opposition. She can be such a dangerous forward.

Kearney's grunt and presence back in the team should give the players a boost. Which they need because yesterdays game (even if it was rd 1) can't be standard for the remainder of the season....otherwise they won't play finals.

I guess the other side on the coin is that we turned up in the last quarter and still got the win.

Yeah gilroy needs to get more handball receives to use her running and kicking.
We’ve still got a few in the backline that can’t kick.

Our forward line is pretty average - just bombing it forward in hope.

Kashy , Ruffin and rids the standouts

Coverage confirmed Gavalas and abba also were out due to Covid protocols

should get 3 good ins next week then with Kearney also

Perri king also not available due to Covid protocol

Thanks for posting. As you say a week is likely for any close contacts, in some cases it might be 2.

Players who catch COVID may need a longer period depending on the extent, I am not sure how long soccer players are out compared to NBA and NFL but it might be an indication of what to expect.

yes they are (according to Cats fans near me).

I am sitting on the Tess Craven Hill - bunch of young people who spent most of the first quarters watching the bench and cheered loudly when Tess ran on.

I had a similar experience watching North’s first ever AFLW match at North Hobart Oval, the Maddie Prespakis fan club had all travelled for that match.

They have nothing on the Ellie Gavalas fan club though !!

She was glacially slow disposing the ball too. I thought her delisting showed some much needed ruthlessness.

Completely agree. If she has a good VFLW season teams may look at her for 2022/23 as there will be another 120 list spots to fill around the comp and may be OK as an experienced player to fill out a list.

Having said that it would be good to know a list of the 140 train on players around the comp as that would be a better indication of who the clubs are seeing as AFLW ready depth.

Unfortunately I was out all day and only caught the last quarter. From what I've read and heard, it seems Geelong are much improved while we may not be near our absolute best of a couple of years ago.

On a non-North note, it's so bloody good to see Nina Morrison playing footy again. She's a jet and I just hope her body holds up and her knee injuries haven't taken too much from her. If she stays fit, then here and the younger Presparkis is a bloody formidable 1-2 combo in that Geelong midfield.

The top end draft talent is so obvious.

We're going to need to win a flag while some of the older stars like Kearney are at their peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back