AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only R2 but it’s a really important game for us. It’s vital that we either win or are really competitive over in Adelaide. It’s one of those “yardstick” games. If we get well beaten, it doesn’t auger well. However, if we manage to roll them, I’ll back the team to go all the way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The team did enough, I think. Adelaide was always going to be a very tough nut to crack over there. We battled it out very well.

We got pushed out of contests for a lot of the day, not just in the forward line all over the ground.

I thought they played Jenna Bruton and Kashy well. Both girls were quiet in the first three quarters after great games last week.

If we played with the whole game intensity of the last quarter and a half we might have been right in it.

Emma Kearney is a star!

Gavalas had a good game I thought.

Campbell is given us nothing except turnovers and free kicks against.
I think we really lack some aggression and players willing to put some hurt on the opposition. Campbell and Bannister are probably the two most likely. I think Aileen and Daisy have the potential. I think it’s the reason behind putting Randall forward which I’m in two minds about.

I think we really lack some aggression and players willing to put some hurt on the opposition. Campbell and Bannister are probably the two most likely. I think Aileen and Daisy have the potential. I think it’s the reason behind putting Randall forward which I’m in two minds about.
Also unsure about Randall forward, but she is a big kick, can mark and spoil, and her tackling of two Crows players single-handed created the Garner goal out of nothing. Defence worked pretty well today all things considered, and Hardiman to come back, I think it’s worth persisting given the options we have.

Unpopular opinion incoming: With the change of timing of the AFLW season and with the possibility that it shifts to after the AFLM Season finishes, Jess Duffin needs to decide whether it’s cricket or AFLW after this year.

The team did enough, I think. Adelaide was always going to be a very tough nut to crack over there. We battled it out very well.

They had a crack . Can’t fault their endeavour & commitment. Never gave up & gave them a fright .
I think stat wise you will find our girls went pretty much toe to toe with them “the reigning premiers “ at their home ground.
Without a shadow of a doubt we are in desperate need of a key forward or 2 . We got it inside 50 more than them but often just blazing away at a 2 v 1 contest . Their defenders had a field day plucking out intercepting marks all game .
We definitely have a lot to work with talent wise & some optimistic times ahead .

Unpopular opinion incoming: With the change of timing of the AFLW season and with the possibility that it shifts to after the AFL Season finishes, Jess Duffin needs to decide whether it’s cricket or AFLW after this year.
Curious about your reasoning DR. Duffin uses her footy smarts to perfection, sometimes making up for her lack of pace. That play where she made ground and forced a ball up in the third quarter an example of her footy nous.

Wondering what you think she would gain by focusing on footy?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious about your reasoning DR. Duffin uses her footy smarts to perfection, sometimes making up for her lack of pace. That play where she made ground and forced a ball up in the third quarter an example of her footy nous.

Because it’s an athletic game and her smarts aren’t enough.

It was a frustrating game, I wasn't sure how we were trying to play, we over handballed early (48 kicks and 41 handballs at quarter time), then almost gave up on handballs for the next two quarters (20 in total) before (perhaps) over handballing (27) again in the final quarter.

Our defensive structure was a little disheveled, especially when Adelaide were transitioning out of defense. We never created the space with the ball that Adelaide were able to create and as a result their attack looked effortless, while ours was laborious and lacking in fluency. The fact that we only lost by 13 is a testament to our back 5/6 who all played very well today. Brooke Brown in particular was very good and should make the coaches decision for next weeks game a little difficult.

I think we really missed Kearney's run through the middle, especially in the second and third quarters, but she was brilliant down back and repelled many Adelaide forays.

I love Duffin, her reading of the play and her contested and intercept marking is elite, and she is generally one of the better kicks in the team, but I wonder if we are sacrificing Kearney's influence in the midfield to overcome the liability that is Duffin's total lack of speed in the half back line. When the ball hits the ground we are in so much trouble, she is even getting burnt by the slow loping rucks.

I do think after todays game the coaches have a lot to think about if we are to challenge later in the season.

Last edited:
I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of AFLW. But just looking at today's game in comparison to some other teams I've seen, I'd question who's responsible for the list profile/build. We just look too slow all over the ground. It's like a carbon copy of the men's team of the last decade. Also, thank God for Kearney today.

I think Duffin is still a great weapon but we need someone to take up the role Randall played attacking the marking contest and following up with an aggressive attack on the ball. Her composure is useful but if no one is busting the packs it’s just an easy mark and shot at goal. It’s frustrating as at the other end we rarely get an easy shot on goal.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of AFLW. But just looking at today's game in comparison to some other teams I've seen, I'd question who's responsible for the list profile/build. We just look too slow all over the ground.
Riiight well we have a 69%* win record in AFLW, the other expansion teams have a 23% win record. If we're guilty of anything with our list build, it's that we made the task of becoming instantly competitive look a lot easier than it really is.

I'd question who you think we should've recruited, and how. It's not like we passed over a bunch of players who turned out to be awesome (in fact the other teams are guilty of that, and we exploited those mistakes).

*Fwiw no team is better than a 30-70 chance vs a full-strength Adelaide in SA. So anybody starting up with that "we've gone backwards" crap today is just delusional--if we lose next week's must-win match vs GWS, ok have at it. Otherwise, nah.

Unpopular opinion incoming: With the change of timing of the AFLW season and with the possibility that it shifts to after the AFL Season finishes, Jess Duffin needs to decide whether it’s cricket or AFLW after this year.

It's not so much an unpopular opinion as it is a no-s**t-Sherlock opinion. If the seasons are running at exactly the same time, then obviously Jess is going to have to make a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back