Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Those that believed in Tess craven please stand up
Ooh, me. Stepped up for the Melbourne game and has been good ever since, really happy to see her in the votes.

Brooke Brown well deserved votes and praise in the commentary. And Jenna is having some season.

Brooke Brown well deserved votes and praise in the commentary. And Jenna is having some season.

AFLW - Round Six - Mongrel Standouts

NORTH MELBOURNE V SYDNEY – JB Eddy

Player Focus – BROOKE BROWN

While North had winners all over the ground, I want to focus on an interesting player that has evolved into a tactical weapon for the Kangas—Brooke Brown.

While Garner, Riddell, King(s) and Rennie will all be in the Best on Ground discussion, a lot has already been said about them, and Brown’s role shouldn’t be overlooked by fans, or by future opponents.

Coach Crocker exploited the lack of height in the Sydney side by playing Emma King and Rennie in the ruck with support from Randall, while Brown (recruited as a ruck/forward) has been used as a sweeper across the backline to complement the rebounding and playmaking ability of Emma Kearney.

The results in this game show that it’s been an inspired choice.

Coming off the bench to set up at half-back, Brown rebuffed any Sydney effort to penetrate into the forward 50. She had a game-high eight intercepts and set up three goals with her playmaking. Her 17 touches (7 contested) gave her a total of 328 metres gained (4th for the match) at a disposal efficiency of 77% (The best of anyone with over 10 touches).

Her game was reminiscent of vintage Shaun Rehn for those old enough to remember the name. Brown made certain that Sydney had no easy entries and that any attempt to bomb long into the forward line was at least met with a contest, if not outright rebuffed.

I’d like to have seen a few more intercept marks from her, but a defender who can turn every 1-on-1 into a contest and hurt opponents on the rebound is an asset to any club. When paired with the white-line-fever intensity of Kearney, North have the ability to hurt teams that try and push forward blindly.

She will face a true test next week against a Brisbane side that won’t be anywhere near as careless with their F50 entries, but if she can put in this sort of effort, North may be looking at an upset, which would be good news indeed for a club currently beset by challenges.

Three former Roos made the round 6 team of the week.

1664868737926.png

Jess Duffin, Aileen Gilroy & Vivian Saad.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
When was Black, Brown and Light Blue added to the Pride rainbow?
We were a step behind (and I love the last Pride jumper, and will wear it again this week) but it’s right that Dani Laidley’s club adds the full spectrum of colours this season. Looks great and this clip is lovely.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
You lot are far nicer than me.

Still burns me seeing Aileen flourishing into the peak of her career elsewhere.
She’s in the midfield, she’s kicking goals - she had a chance to not be behind such a log jam of great players on our list and she took it. Good luck to her. The fact we got one handy and one outstanding player from Ireland this season is easing the pain a lot.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
She’s in the midfield, she’s kicking goals - she had a chance to not be behind such a log jam of great players on our list and she took it. Good luck to her. The fact we got one handy and one outstanding player from Ireland this season is easing the pain a lot.

Pragmatic and true as always H2H.

But she's such a quality person from dealings at the club (except for bailing on us :( ), a very good player IMO and I wish we had her AND Vicki et al on our list still.

But that's life eh?

I’m all for jumper variations and while I love what this represents I reckon the final product looks terrible. I really liked last season’s version but this doesn’t work to me.
l dont think l will rush out to get one this year...

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I didn’t get last years which I regret, although the girls jumpers are cut slightly differently and don’t fit very well. I suspect this will be our version of Hawthorn’s jester jumper and be a rare collectible in years to come.

I think there's a reverence to these and the indigenous jumpers that makes any one of them incomparable to things like the jester jumper, which was meaningless.

I didn’t get last years which I regret, although the girls jumpers are cut slightly differently and don’t fit very well. I suspect this will be our version of Hawthorn’s jester jumper and be a rare collectible in years to come.
I feel like last years was bare minimum effort and tokenistic at best because of it. This has an expanded flag beyond just the rainbow. Alternative to filling the white space is to replace the royal blue, or change from the stripes. I dont know that the alternatives would be that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back