NMFC AGM February 26, 2020

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB LTD 2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (ACN 006 468 962)

The Annual General Meeting of the North Melbourne Football Club Ltd (“the Club”) will be held at the offices of the Club, 204–206 Arden Street, North Melbourne, Victoria on Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 6:00pm.

ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS

Directors Mr Glenn Archer and Ms Sonja Hood hold their current positions as Directors of the Club on a casual basis and, in accordance with clause 10.1(g) of the Club Constitution, are eligible to hold office until the day of the Annual General Meeting. Each of Mr Glenn Archer and Ms Sonja Hood, being eligible, have offered themselves for re-election as Directors.

In accordance with the Club’s Constitution, Mr Ben Buckley must also retire at the 2019 Annual General Meeting. Mr Ben Buckley, being eligible, has offered himself for re-election as a Director.

Nominations are invited for the three Director positions which become vacant on the day of the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for the three Director positions will be open for acceptance until 5:00pm on Wednesday, 15 January 2020. All nominees must be 2019 Voting Members of the Club and the nominations must also be signed by two 2019 Voting Members.

Potential nominees should be aware that due to the legal obligations imposed upon Directors and the requirements of the Constitution of the Club, it will be necessary for any new Director nominee to have their nomination considered and endorsed by the Club’s Independent Nominations Committee and to also be subjected to enquiries necessary to ensure that the Director meets the criteria for Directors as set out in the Corporations Act 2001. Pursuant to the Constitution of the Club, all nominees must also execute an acknowledgment and undertaking regarding the provision of materials to, and contact with, the Members of the Club in relation to the director election process.

Nomination Forms and further information are available by enquiry to Andrew Harris at Harris Carlson Lawyers at aharris@harriscarlson.com.au

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Are you thinking of running Snake?

1) I highly doubt I would meet "the criteria for Directors as set out in the Corporations Act 2001"
2) My application would go straight in the bin at "the Club’s Independent Nominations Committee" ("independent", LOL)
3) There would be plenty of better candidates than me out there, it just comes down to them bothering to run, and then overcoming a rigged system.

1) I highly doubt I would meet "the criteria for Directors as set out in the Corporations Act 2001"
2) My application would go straight in the bin at "the Club’s Independent Nominations Committee" ("independent", LOL)
3) There would be plenty of better candidates than me out there, it just comes down to them bothering to run, and then overcoming a rigged system.
So thats a no?

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
new board member:
10984.jpeg

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
The independent nominations committee sounds like a filter to stop anyone before they even get to the gate. Where’s that guy from the start of the year who wanted to challenge the board?

That’s exactly what it is.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The members of the club fought to save the club, and have a member based control of the club..........................then promptly handed it all back.

As a result the NMFC is effectively no longer a member owned and controlled football club.

I will NEVER come to terms with how the rank & file fell for this stunt.

Last edited:
The members of the club fought to save the club, and have a member based control of the club..........................then promptly handed all back.

As a result the NMFC is effectively no longer a member owned and controlled football club.

I will NEVER come to terms with how the rank & file fell for this stunt.
Yep - despite the protests and explanations of the risks on BF. That was the day members lost control.

NORTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB LTD 2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (ACN 006 468 962)

The Annual General Meeting of the North Melbourne Football Club Ltd (“the Club”) will be held at the offices of the Club, 204–206 Arden Street, North Melbourne, Victoria on Wednesday, 26 February 2020 at 6:00pm.

ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS

Directors Mr Glenn Archer and Ms Sonja Hood hold their current positions as Directors of the Club on a casual basis and, in accordance with clause 10.1(g) of the Club Constitution, are eligible to hold office until the day of the Annual General Meeting. Each of Mr Glenn Archer and Ms Sonja Hood, being eligible, have offered themselves for re-election as Directors.

In accordance with the Club’s Constitution, Mr Ben Buckley must also retire at the 2019 Annual General Meeting. Mr Ben Buckley, being eligible, has offered himself for re-election as a Director.

Nominations are invited for the three Director positions which become vacant on the day of the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for the three Director positions will be open for acceptance until 5:00pm on Wednesday, 15 January 2020. All nominees must be 2019 Voting Members of the Club and the nominations must also be signed by two 2019 Voting Members.

Potential nominees should be aware that due to the legal obligations imposed upon Directors and the requirements of the Constitution of the Club, it will be necessary for any new Director nominee to have their nomination considered and endorsed by the Club’s Independent Nominations Committee and to also be subjected to enquiries necessary to ensure that the Director meets the criteria for Directors as set out in the Corporations Act 2001. Pursuant to the Constitution of the Club, all nominees must also execute an acknowledgment and undertaking regarding the provision of materials to, and contact with, the Members of the Club in relation to the director election process.

Nomination Forms and further information are available by enquiry to Andrew Harris at Harris Carlson Lawyers at aharris@harriscarlson.com.au
Let's give them something to worry about and all email asking for nom forms.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You’re thinking about the Coffee Cart

I am on to you

The coffee cart which they utilize to block the most notable historical display at the football club?

You can tell that the club is no longer run by actual football people.

The coffee cart which they utilize to block the most notable historical display at the football club?

Why don’t we start a petition? Or send them 100s of emails titled “move the *ing coffee cart” and do their heads in

Its current position is akin to placing it in front of important icons in a church

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I don’t know

The joint is closed whenever I am in Melbourne

Maybe someone could bring up the idea of having a Coffee Shop; sell blue and white muffins with your Cuppa?

As someone who loves North but has never got involved with the politics of the club:
  • What does this mean for me?
  • What can I influence?
  • How do I get involved?

I have no issue with the club having an "independent body" which ensures board candidates are capable of providing some kind of benefit for the club, it has however been something that is obviously not independent, lacks transparency and seems to have been used to block certain individuals from running for positions when they are qualified. I disagree with how the mechanism has been implemented and used.

I wouldn't have voted for some of the people who have been blocked from running, however, I do not believe the club has legitimate reasons to prevent them from running.

I mean, it is fine if they want to prevent a whole bunch of bogans being elected to the board, similar to how we almost got Jedi recognised as an official religion on the census until we ruled out fictitious religions, it would be amusing... however, the club would be hurt from something like that happening. With notoriously low numbers rocking up to AGMs, we would be prone to having diabolical outcomes if we didn't place in some safeguards.

We have some high quality people on the board, their time is valuable and they offer it for free. If we want to be able to have people like that on our board, we need to show we are run in a professional manner. We do not want to go back to the days of having a part time chairman, a pizza delivery boy and a bunch of people who had to be convinced to be part of a s**t show, because we know that lead us to some dark times. If the consequence is some good quality punters can't sit in a comfy chair, then I can live with that.

I wish our club could resolve some of the issues we have, with people like PDR, who still believes he has something to offer and is prepared to donate his time and his expertise. Even if he doesn't sit on the board, I wish our club was able to resolve the petty schisms it has with certain groups, well run clubs do not seem to have these issues. I think it could have been handled better than it was in the past.

I have no issue with the club having an "independent body" which ensures board candidates are capable of providing some kind of benefit for the club, it has however been something that is obviously not independent, lacks transparency and seems to have been used to block certain individuals from running for positions when they are qualified. I disagree with how the mechanism has been implemented and used.
Like who?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can somebody pull a Stephen Mayne and ask a question about our deal with Tasmania?

To this day we (the members) still have nfi whether or not the club even makes money playing football at Colonial Stadium.

This is our 'core business', according to JB circa Dallas Brooks Hall, and we have NFI if the 'core business' makes the club any cash.

Meanwhile the Tasmanian jungle drums beat louder and louder, no longer just a faint sound in the distance, but a growing beat.

Three hay yah yah. Four hay yah yah.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can somebody pull a Stephen Mayne and ask a question about our deal with Tasmania?

To this day we (the members) still have nfi whether or not the club even makes money playing football at Colonial Stadium.

This is our 'core business', according to JB circa Dallas Brooks Hall, and we have NFI if the 'core business' makes the club any cash.

Meanwhile the Tasmanian jungle drums beat louder and louder, no longer just a faint sound in the distance, but a growing beat.

Three hay yah yah. Four hay yah yah.

I don't mean to single you out on this, but the whole "can't somebody ask a question" thing does my head in. We have many people with strong opinions on this board, but how many have the courage to ask questions of the powerful people at the club? In my experience, the most opinionated among us turn into timid kittens in the presence of authority.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't mean to single you out on this, but the whole "can't somebody ask a question" thing does my head in. We have many people with strong opinions on this board, but how many have the courage to ask questions of the powerful people at the club? In my experience, the most opinionated among us turn into timid kittens in the presence of authority.
Does the name Stephen Mayne mean nothing to you, friend?

Back