NMFC AGM February 26, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Our revenue remains substantially lower than every other Victorian club and without the Tasmanian money, we'd be in a diabolical state. Trust me, there is plenty of financial pressure.
Why do you think that to be the case Jabba? I'm referring to St Kilda, Bulldogs and Melbourne specifically. I would have thought that supporter-base wise that we'd have an equitable amount to those clubs. Is it the club struggling to find sponsors?

Why do you think that to be the case Jabba? I'm referring to St Kilda, Bulldogs and Melbourne specifically. I would have thought that supporter-base wise that we'd have an equitable amount to those clubs. Is it the club struggling to find sponsors?

We are well behind those three clubs in revenue but it is not exactly due to sponsorship. Thanks largely to Mazda and Spirit of Tasmania, our sponsorship income has us ranked in the top half of the AFL. Obviously, without the Hobart games, we lose the Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship, and that would see us drop down the rankings. We get more in AFL distribution than most clubs, but more or less the same as StKilda and Bulldogs. Where we fall down is in membership, gate receipts and of course, non-football related business.

What’s more important than revenue is profit and not going into debt. It is fair to say that our debt has been reduced significantly over the last 10 plus years and that has been a result of making profits for most of those 10 plus years. StKilda with their large debt would be under more financial pressure than us if you were to ask an Accountant. :stern look

Do we know any accountants?

pokies

We haven't really grown in our own backyard and this all comes down to AFL on-field success.

Everything else is a distraction.

There is no argument, you are 100% correct. However, next time when we achieve the ultimate success, it would be good if our administration and board are in a position to leverage off that success to build on our supporter base to carry us through a dry spell.

9.2 Approval requirements

The Club must not approve any Merger Proposal or any Relocation Proposal unless:

(a) the Board has provided Members with full information about the Merger Proposal or the Relocation Proposal (as the case may be); and
(b) the Board has convened a general meeting of the Club at which the Merger Proposal or the Relocation Proposal (as the case may be) is voted on by the Voting Members; and
(c) at least 75% of the total votes cast by Voting Members at the meeting personally or by proxy or attorney acting under power of attorney are in support of the Merger Proposal or the Relocation Proposal (as the case may be).

As was said earlier, the key point here is that Relocation is defined "any actual or proposed contract, arrangement or understanding the purpose or outcome of which will result in or require the Club to relocate from its Melbourne base to a location outside of the State of Victoria"

So a situation in which we played 11 home games in Hobart but still maintained a "base" at Arden Street would be fine

As was said earlier, the key point here is that Relocation is defined "any actual or proposed contract, arrangement or understanding the purpose or outcome of which will result in or require the Club to relocate from its Melbourne base to a location outside of the State of Victoria"

So a situation in which we played 11 home games in Hobart but still maintained a "base" at Arden Street would be fine

Not sure I entirely agree with that conclusion (it is one I've seen before). I think a lawyer would have a field day with the interpretation that a club's base is still in Melbourne just because of an admin building or similar. I can see the loophole, but at war footing it is massively open to legal challenge for mine.

Anyway..................where's the 2019 financials?
Financial year ends 31 October, constitution says AGM must be no more than five months from end of financial year (ie 31 March), s315 of Corporations Act says financial report must be made available to members 21 days prior to AGM, or four months from end of financial year (ie 29 February). The AGM will be on 26 February, so 21 days prior to that will be 5 February. You'll get them on the 4th, I imagine....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Financial year ends 31 October, constitution says AGM must be no more than five months from end of financial year (ie 31 March), s315 of Corporations Act says financial report must be made available to members 21 days prior to AGM, or four months from end of financial year (ie 29 February). The AGM will be on 26 February, so 21 days prior to that will be 5 February. You'll get them on the 4th, I imagine....
Thank you.

Are they allowed to run in the first place?
In accordance with Rule 10.1(d)(i) of the Club Constitution, nominations were sought for the three (3) Director positions which will become vacant on the day of the 2019 Annual General Meeting. The request for nominations was published in The Age newspaper on 31 December 2019 and via the website of the Club at www.nmfc.com.au.

In response, approved nominations were received from (listed in alphabetical order):

1. Mr Glenn Archer
  2. Mr Ben Buckley;
  3. Mr Paul Crapper; and
  4. Dr Sonja Hood.

Who is Paul Crapper?

Thanks Google, turns out he is a descendant of the toilet inventor. Insert double entendres/toilet puns here...

Paul Crapper
Executive Manager, Corporate Services Group
Paul has over three decades of experience in leadership, corporate services and stakeholder management across corporate and government sectors.
Prior to joining VicHealth in 2019, Paul worked with state and local governments as a Chief Financial Officer and Director of Corporate Services. He also led the local government strategy of Aon, the world’s largest risk management advisor.
Paul has led numerous diversity and inclusion committees and initiatives over the last 15 years and is a White Ribbon Ambassador.
Paul holds a Business Degree majoring in Accounting, a Company Directors Diploma and an Advanced Diploma from the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD). He is a Fellow of both CPA Australia and the AICD.

Paul Crapper, National Head for Local Government, Aon Australia, talks about his role in the industry, his love of North Melbourne Football Club and his famous ancestor.

Why insurance?
Interestingly I am not an insurance broker. I was recruited to Aon as a subject matter expert in the Local Government sector as a former Director within both the Local Government and State Government.

At Aon as the National Head of Local Government, I provide:
  • Strategic leadership for Local Government clients nationally;
  • An expert conduit between the Local Government sector and the breadth of Aon's offering;
  • Risk management insights, analysis and strategic consulting advice to Local Government leaders;
  • Local Government expert subject matter input; and
  • Leadership and collaboration with broking and innovation teams to execute strategies and mobilise Aon resources.
How would you change the industry?
Greater focus on recruitment of industry specific skills, expertise and industry alignment to inform the insurance industry from a client perspective to strategically progress the industry, deliver tailored client services and add client value.

Best advice you’ve ever been given?
Anticipate strategically and operationally and be passionate about everything you do.

What’s the most important thing a broker can do to develop their business?
Truly understand your client, their industry and specific needs and tailor your service and deliverables accordingly. Not a “one size fits all attitude” to customer service and insurance coverage.

What is the strangest thing you’ve ever arranged cover for?
Although I am not an insurance broker, I have dealt with a Council who needed cover for a billy cart race in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria.

If you were Prime Minister for one day, what would you do?
As a White Ribbon Ambassador I would focus heavily on education and programs to end violence against women.

What’s the biggest challenge facing the industry today?
Remaining relevant. The insurance industry must add value to clients not just place insurance cover.

NRL, AFL, soccer or other?
For me there can be only one…..AFL. Within AFL, North Melbourne Football Club….I bleed royal blue and white.

If you could invite three people to dinner, dead or alive, and excluding family and friends, who would they be and why?
Michelle Payne - surely 2015 Australian of the year and a fine example of the “Aussie battler” and to all women in sport.

Patrick Dodson -Aboriginal leader from the Kimberley and the Father of Reconciliation in Australia.

Thomas Crapper - my ancestor who invented the plumbing for the toilet when he was 19 in response to a Royal Decree from Queen Victoria in the very early 20th century. The plumbing remains the same today.

Complete this sentence: If I wasn’t in insurance, I would be…
A disruptive CEO in Local Government.

What's the process for posing questions to the club? I'd like answers on a few things, like:
  1. What is our revenue/profit from playing games at Marvel? Is there still an attendance figure we must reach to make a profit.
  2. What's the club's plan from exiting (or continuing in) Tasmania?
  3. What are the criteria set by the Independent Nominations Committee?

Thanks Google, turns out he is a descendant of the toilet inventor. Insert double entendres/toilet puns here...

Paul Crapper
Executive Manager, Corporate Services Group
Paul has over three decades of experience in leadership, corporate services and stakeholder management across corporate and government sectors.
Prior to joining VicHealth in 2019, Paul worked with state and local governments as a Chief Financial Officer and Director of Corporate Services. He also led the local government strategy of Aon, the world’s largest risk management advisor.
Paul has led numerous diversity and inclusion committees and initiatives over the last 15 years and is a White Ribbon Ambassador.
Paul holds a Business Degree majoring in Accounting, a Company Directors Diploma and an Advanced Diploma from the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD). He is a Fellow of both CPA Australia and the AICD.

Paul Crapper, National Head for Local Government, Aon Australia, talks about his role in the industry, his love of North Melbourne Football Club and his famous ancestor.

Why insurance?
Interestingly I am not an insurance broker. I was recruited to Aon as a subject matter expert in the Local Government sector as a former Director within both the Local Government and State Government.

At Aon as the National Head of Local Government, I provide:
  • Strategic leadership for Local Government clients nationally;
  • An expert conduit between the Local Government sector and the breadth of Aon's offering;
  • Risk management insights, analysis and strategic consulting advice to Local Government leaders;
  • Local Government expert subject matter input; and
  • Leadership and collaboration with broking and innovation teams to execute strategies and mobilise Aon resources.
Greater focus on recruitment of industry specific skills, expertise and industry alignment to inform the insurance industry from a client perspective to strategically progress the industry, deliver tailored client services and add client value.

Best advice you’ve ever been given?
Anticipate strategically and operationally and be passionate about everything you do.

What’s the most important thing a broker can do to develop their business?
Truly understand your client, their industry and specific needs and tailor your service and deliverables accordingly. Not a “one size fits all attitude” to customer service and insurance coverage.

What is the strangest thing you’ve ever arranged cover for?
Although I am not an insurance broker, I have dealt with a Council who needed cover for a billy cart race in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria.

If you were Prime Minister for one day, what would you do?
As a White Ribbon Ambassador I would focus heavily on education and programs to end violence against women.

What’s the biggest challenge facing the industry today?
Remaining relevant. The insurance industry must add value to clients not just place insurance cover.

NRL, AFL, soccer or other?
For me there can be only one…..AFL. Within AFL, North Melbourne Football Club….I bleed royal blue and white.

If you could invite three people to dinner, dead or alive, and excluding family and friends, who would they be and why?
Michelle Payne - surely 2015 Australian of the year and a fine example of the “Aussie battler” and to all women in sport.

Patrick Dodson -Aboriginal leader from the Kimberley and the Father of Reconciliation in Australia.

Thomas Crapper - my ancestor who invented the plumbing for the toilet when he was 19 in response to a Royal Decree from Queen Victoria in the very early 20th century. The plumbing remains the same today.

Complete this sentence: If I wasn’t in insurance, I would be…
A disruptive CEO in Local Government.

His CV screams "A grade w***er."

He'll fit right in.

It seems to me on his own advice we should be looking for a footy person rather than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back