NMFC Board Elections

Remove this Banner Ad

Found it:

View attachment 824754

We’re developing a draft Arden Structure Plan to be released for community consultation in early 2020.

The 2020 draft structure plan will propose what the new innovation precinct might look like and how it should function. It will be guided by technical studies and community input from the Arden Vision.

The plan will give shape to the directions and objectives of the Arden Vision and propose actions to direct development, provide infrastructure and address constraints

Personally I can't see us getting that section of land to the north of the ground. Too much $$$$ to be made from high rise apartments and retails outlets.

We’re developing a draft Arden Structure Plan to be released for community consultation in early 2020.

The 2020 draft structure plan will propose what the new innovation precinct might look like and how it should function. It will be guided by technical studies and community input from the Arden Vision.

The plan will give shape to the directions and objectives of the Arden Vision and propose actions to direct development, provide infrastructure and address constraints

Personally I can't see us getting that section of land to the north of the ground. Too much $$$$ to be made from high rise apartments and retails outlets.

Would be a huge coup.

Would be a huge coup.
If we could get the land to the west of the ground we could potentially build a smallish grandstand to that side of the ground, and run it don towards the northern goals. We could then host decent sized crowds for VFL and AFLW games at Arden St.

Brayshaw was always incongruous on that front. Played a blokey lively persona in the media but goes over-objective mute (or worse) when North were/are concerned.

I'll never forget Siddle being in TFS audience being painfully interviewed by James. Brayshaw waited until the wrap-up to mention "oh and you're a kangas man" to which Siddle gave a look of "thought you'd never bring that up" followed by an abrupt finish.

Could understand when he was at 9.

But now at 7, jeez.

Anyone know anyone from the Victorian planning/building authority type world (who hasn't had to resign after having their behaviour scrutinised by investigative agencies then being knifed in the paper?) who could help here?

Unless they build a Singapore style parkland on the roof of the high rise apartments, then there has to be green space created for 15,000 new residents.

Unless they build a Singapore style parkland on the roof of the high rise apartments, then there has to be green space created for 15,000 new residents.

Ding ding ding.

Community use.

Anyone know anyone from the Victorian planning/building authority type world (who hasn't had to resign after having their behaviour scrutinised by investigative agencies then being knifed in the paper?) who could help here?

Had lunch with their CEO Stuart Mosely two years ago. Arden redevelopment was the first thing I asked him about.

Nothing else to add. We were their to actually speak about planning precincts being developed in the Northern suburbs. But I asked first about Arden as an NMFC fan.

He’d just arrived from QLD a few weeks beforehand so wasn’t across it all, but got his PA to email the early plans for the Arden Area which is what is being exhibited today.

As I’ve said multiple times in this thread, if the club is fair dinkum they need to be speaking to Melbourne City Council, the local member and fronting the plannining and sports ministers to push the case along for expansion.

Simon Crean used to be our no1 member, he could easily get us an audience with government MPs if we needed too. What is the CEO and board doing in this space ? I’m not sure...

Nothing else to add. We were their to actually speak about planning precincts being developed in the Northern suburbs. But I asked first about Arden as an NMFC fan.

He’d just arrived from QLD a few weeks beforehand so wasn’t across it all, but got his PA to email the early plans for the Arden Area which is what is being exhibited today.

As I’ve said multiple times in this thread, if the club is fair dinkum they need to be speaking to Melbourne City Council, the local member and fronting the plannining and sports ministers to push the case along for expansion.

Simon Crean used to be our no1 member, he could easily get us an audience with government MPs if we needed too.

They are fair dinkum and it is a key reason why Ben Buckley wants Sonja on board - for her proven gov relations abilities.

I asked Carl Dilena about it at a function and he seemed to be of the view that it was going to be very expensive and too hard to get everyone to give up the leases for that original plan. He did say that there was a possibility of getting land on the other side of Arden St iirc, which would kind of be around where the new station will be.

I suspect a lot of the businesses there have been bought out or moved on while the station and tunnel are built so possibly when they are finished there might be asuitable parcel of space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're not fair dinkum about it (playing games at Arden St.), I can't see how the club survives in Melbourne long term.

Call me crazy, but I can't see a government shelling out tens of millions of dollars on a sports club just at the minute.

As mentioned above, the only way NMFC is the beneficiary of the coming land grab in the Arden precinct is if there is shared community use of the green space. And that means specifically NOT putting up a 9' fence around the oval and turning it into an enclosed "stadium".

Call me crazy, but I can't see a government shelling out tens of millions of dollars on a sports club just at the minute.

As mentioned above, the only way NMFC is the beneficiary of the coming land grab in the Arden precinct is if there is shared community use of the green space. And that means specifically NOT putting up a 9' fence around the oval and turning it into an enclosed "stadium".

Agreed, but I would argue that an enclosed stadium isn’t what it should be anyway.

Last edited:
I very much doubt we'll ever get an AFL ready premiership points stadium at Arden St.

But we can get pretty much everything else - VFl, AFLW there.

And I do think a smaller boutique stadium is very possible and we could get in early with a sweet deal.

AFL going to have to have to think creatively if and when broadcast rights fall in value.

The problem is only 50% of the properties along Fogarty st are council/govt owned.

The Nth Melb Bowens site as an example is the original Bowens site, has over 100+ years of history as it was the site of their original mill in Melbourne.

Knowing the owners of Bowens and being involved with them in business, there is literally 0% chance of that property ever being sold to the NMFC.

Our best chance is actually trying to acquire the pool imo, incorporating an upgrade there for future expansion that has a public pool integrated into it.

Then building 2 small covered grandstands that extend from the basketball court to the fogarty street hill and then a grandstand that may be intergrated with the pool expansion behind the opposite eastern side hill.

The 5,000 seat grandstand at Ballarat cost $15m to build and is something that could be replicated. It's financial feasibility might actually work once AFLW becomes a ticket paying competition also.....

I think a stand maybe 10 rows lower than this, but extends from the Basketball court to Macauly Rd would work. Seating of around 5,000.

Then maybe a 1,500 seat grandstand behind the Eastern Goals which runs from the outdoor basketball courts next to the current building.

The ground would probably have a capicity of around 9,000-10,000 in that arrangement. Carparking with council might be an issue, but having one of the largest train stations in Melbourne directly below the ground is going to help in that regard.

1582066718474.png

If you look at Hawthorn's $100m complex in Dingley, they are building about a 2,500-5,000 seat grandstand for their AFLW matches, so that seams to be about the sweet spot for boutique grounds imo. People still want grass and open spaces.

1582067563662.png

Last edited:
The problem is only 50% of the properties along Fogarty st are council/govt owned.

The Nth Melb Bowens site as an example is the original Bowens site, has over 100+ years of history as it was the site of their original mill in Melbourne.

Knowing the owners of Bowens and being involved with them in business, there is literally 0% chance of that property ever being sold to the NMFC.

Our best chance is actually trying to acquire the pool imo, incorporating an upgrade there for future expansion that has a public pool integrated into it.

Then building 2 small covered grandstands that extend from the basketball court to the fogarty street hill and then a grandstand that may be intergrated with the pool expansion behind the opposite eastern side hill.

The 5,000 seat grandstand at Ballarat cost $15m to build and is something that could be replicated. It's financial feasibility might actually work once AFLW becomes a ticket paying competition also.....

I think a stand maybe 10 rows lower than this, but extends from the Basketball court to Macauly Rd would work. Seating of around 5,000.

Then maybe a 1,500 seat grandstand behind the Eastern Goals which runs from the outdoor basketball courts next to the current building.

The ground would probably have a capicity of around 9,000-10,000 in that arrangement. Carparking with council might be an issue, but having one of the largest train stations in Melbourne directly below the ground is going to help in that regard.

View attachment 825249

If you look at Hawthorn's $100m complex in Dingley, they are building about a 2,500-5,000 seat grandstand for their AFLW matches, so that seams to be about the sweet spot for boutique grounds imo. People still want grass and open spaces.

View attachment 825261

Now you're talking. I completely agree that the only way to transform the current space is to utilise the space at the ends of the ground.

The problem? It is the best outcome - we can get it for free.

As you say, dealing with privates far worse for us.

Now you're talking. I completely agree that the only way to transform the current space is to utilise the space at the ends of the ground.

Anything that factors in changing the pool is fantasy land.

Council is not going to allow us to rip down perfectly good infrastructure - with all the denial of amenity to the community it would entail even if rebuilt bigger and better - just for our own purposes.

If it were old and run down, maybe, but not now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back