NMFC Board Elections

Remove this Banner Ad

right, shouldn't have asked him questions, should have just blindly accepted that since he (let's face it, only sort of) worked out how to post on here that means he's definitely worth backing. Unquestionable. Nevermind HOW he does the things you're demanding of him, or that he claims to be in favour of. Vote for him and it'll happen. Especially the "bullshit", keep demands vague and he can keep solutions vague. Perfect harmony.

And where are the other board members? Are they equally as vague, equally as invisible? Have they also fudged their skills?

There is no need to immediately head hunt and call out people for nonsense (trump style), let him do his job (if he gets it) which he probably won’t as we all know.

How can he possibly be worse than what we’ve gone though in the last 20 years?

As Val said, a clear club-wide strategy with clear KPIs and goal setting is required. Crappers may help, he may not, but as long as he is publicly anti-map he has my vote.

Most, if not all of us, know SFA as to what really goes on at the NMFC Board level. All candidates have put forward the "I love and want what is best for the Club" but none have detailed what that is and how it is to be achieved. Paul is at a disadvantage at this point in that he also doesn't know the Board members thinking.

The Club has one major failing that hasn't been successfully addressed - Our Image.
We have for years of being referred to as “cash strapped”, “struggling”, “small”, “poor facilities” etc and this is killing us. The AFL's marketing of this together with Caro and co has had us on the back foot for 2-3 decades.

I have a friend who barracked for Fitzroy. When they went under, he stopped following AFL for 5 years. When he decided to come back even though North was his “2nd team”, he couldn’t bring himself to join us for fear that he would incur a 2nd Fitzroy experience. He went for Geelong.

If a person says to his friends that he/she is considering becoming a North member they are likely to hear – don’t join them they will either be shipped off to Tasmania or disappear like Fitzroy or South Melbourne within X years.

When the Club went with its modern logo years back, the President stated that this would enable us to grow or words to that effect. A logo alone won’t help us, the Club has to aggressively and innovatively market itself as a long-term Melbourne based Club. Our increases in games in Tasmania over the years plus, JB’s push for 7 games there is still killing us.

Effectively establish us as Melbourne based and we will grow

Most, if not all of us, know SFA as to what really goes on at the NMFC Board level. All candidates have put forward the "I love and want what is best for the Club" but none have detailed what that is and how it is to be achieved. Paul is at a disadvantage at this point in that he also doesn't know the Board members thinking.

The Club has one major failing that hasn't been successfully addressed - Our Image.
We have for years of being referred to as “cash strapped”, “struggling”, “small”, “poor facilities” etc and this is killing us. The AFL's marketing of this together with Caro and co has had us on the back foot for 2-3 decades.

I have a friend who barracked for Fitzroy. When they went under, he stopped following AFL for 5 years. When he decided to come back even though North was his “2nd team”, he couldn’t bring himself to join us for fear that he would incur a 2nd Fitzroy experience. He went for Geelong.

If a person says to his friends that he/she is considering becoming a North member they are likely to hear – don’t join them they will either be shipped off to Tasmania or disappear like Fitzroy or South Melbourne within X years.

When the Club went with its modern logo years back, the President stated that this would enable us to grow or words to that effect. A logo alone won’t help us, the Club has to aggressively and innovatively market itself as a long-term Melbourne based Club. Our increases in games in Tasmania over the years plus, JB’s push for 7 games there is still killing us.

Need to fight back against that media rhetoric somehow.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I genuinely appreciate PC for coming on here and announcing he’s throwing his hat in the ring. I actually thought it was a troll account at first.

The ‘rank and file’ and ‘knuckle draggers’ on here are also the most passionate and rusted on members we have.

I’m not sure a plan of seeing what the current board is doing, to then decide on his game plan and what he can bring to the table is very innovative. It’s certainly not going to wash with us.

He should have, dare i say it, a PowerPoint presentation ready to be delivered with a 5 point plan or something. Maybe he does, but it certainly didn’t appear that way.

I’m just not sure how PC has been able to progress so far in the process without having a ‘profile’ like a David King et al.

Calling a poster R? Meh, good on him. Who cares?

Seems to me PC is the Bernie Sanders of the election. Dunno why, but I’ll probably vote for him. He’s got a 1% chance of being successful anyway.

Still the only candidate that has fronted here. Must be a bit of a shock to someone unfamiliar with Bigfooty. I think generally Paul has had a reasonable run although he probably thinks we have been harsh.

Paul, please keep in touch here and answer the questions that you can. I don’t think many here would question the genuineness of your candidacy and your aim to make North Melbourne Great Again. I think it would be difficult to have specific policies as you will be one vote so no point promising something you cannot deliver.

I like your answers re Tassie - tick. We all agree that we would like to be less reliant on selling games as a form of income - do you have any thoughts on that? Where do we generate the millions we need to not do that?

Board experience and governance seems a strong point - nice to have but not critical.

General experience operating at a high business level is Strong and handy.

I will continue to watch the thread with interest and thank you for taking up my invitation to engage through BF.
Make North great again?
Dribble drivel

Smashed it out of the park, as usual

The club has three teams, reasonable finances, a ground at the centre of what could be a gentrified nightmare unique local precinct with its own train stop

In a nutshell this Arden Precicnt devolpment/ is our greatest opportunity and our greatest threat.

At its best, we become an elite sports team and drawcard for the area. One of the few AFL clubs still based in Melbournes CBD with a local population to tap in to and make our own. Something the club forefathers could only dream of.

At its worst, it becomes the aforementioned gentrified nightmare. The demand for more open space for the community, results in the club being starved and eventually forced to relinquish the lease of the ground so the Arden st Reserve can fulfill the requirements for recreation space for the booming community.

This is why we need to treat the planning process being undertaken very seriously and I’m not sure the club has been on top if as it should. Any new board member should be addressing this point as one of its top concerns.

Agree 100% Lim.

Wish you were running. You’d get all my votes.👍🏻

As it is, I think I’m voting for PC just to send an Anti-Tassie message. Bring the games home.

Agree 100% Lim.

Wish you were running. You’d get all my votes.👍🏻

As it is, I think I’m voting for PC just to send an Anti-Tassie message. Bring the games home.

Yep. I would definitely vote for Limerick.

Welcome back Saintly.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that directed at me?

No C here, here no C.

That bloke was a racist nutter - I prefer to be casually racist in private.

In a nutshell this Arden Precicnt devolpment/ is our greatest opportunity and our greatest threat.

At its best, we become an elite sports team and drawcard for the area. One of the few AFL clubs still based in Melbournes CBD with a local population to tap in to and make our own. Something the club forefathers could only dream of.

At its worst, it becomes the aforementioned gentrified nightmare. The demand for more open space for the community, results in the club being starved and eventually forced to relinquish the lease of the ground so the Arden st Reserve can fulfill the requirements for recreation space for the booming community.

This is why we need to treat the planning process being undertaken very seriously and I’m not sure the club has been on top if as it should. Any new board member should be addressing this point as one of its top concerns.

We need to stop leasing. Period.
Borrow the money at 3% buy the land and develop it ourselves, whatever it takes to put down a marker that we ain’t going anywhere.

We turn over $40m p.a, we should have more than a lease of a park to our name.

Correct. Thomas Crapper a great great uncle invented the plumbing at the back of the toilet.

Thanks for taking the time to engage with the unwashed masses of Bigfooty. Kudos to you, good sir, for possessing the requisite intestinal fortitude to do so.

I believe the plumbing you refer to is commonly known as the 'ballcock'.

With that in mind, you can colour me staggered that you haven't got Zondor's vote.

Strong criticism of the Club on this forum and others is that the Club is run by a "boys club" i.e internal selections.

Spot on, Lim.

I have been one that has consistently joined in with that chorus, and it's the line I'm taking on it again here.

“I’m honoured to have been approached by Ben Buckley to join his board,”. This is my real concern.

Could have been a slightly careless throwaway comment, but given this place's penchant for picking up on the most minute detail, I can't shake the feeling that if someone else had said it there would have been a greater reaction from the good people of Bigfooty who have traditionally railed against the board arbitrarily earmarking preferred candidates for election, and the general lack of impartiality and a level playing field that has plagued board appointments for far too long now.

Any personal associations do not override my principle(d) concerns in that area.

Sonya
“In 2007 I worked with other North people to keep the club based at Arden St.” What did she actually do, remembering that the Club was pushing for the Gold Coast. I’m not saying she didn’t but I’d like specifics.

I worked very closely with Sonja in 2007, and could definitely shed some light on that. However, given that so much of what we did was kind of covert or through non-official channels, involving people that would probably prefer to keep their contributions on the down low, I'm reluctant to speak out of school on the subject. I can say that Sonja was close to Ron Joseph at the time and will attest to the fact that she did a mountain of great work on the side of the good guys. Apologies for the vagueness, but credit where it's due.

Ultimately, at the risk of sounding a little beige here, I think both are probably well-credentialed enough to make a decent fist of it. Sonja's acumen in similar and/or related roles speaks for itself, and while I'm yet to hear anything significantly compelling from Paul in his attempt to connect with the average rank-and-file members that populate this site, I do like the idea of having a voice on the board that has come from outside of the, erm, existing interpersonal networks.

M'eh, I'm going to take the positive view that whoever the successful candidate may be (pssst, it'll be Sonja), it's a win either way. But rest assured that the voices in my head will continue to denounce any board elections that aren't conducted with a genuinely fair and non-preferential hand. Sic semper tyrannis!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, Lim.

I have been one that has consistently joined in with that chorus, and it's the line I'm taking on it again here.

Could have been a slightly careless throwaway comment, but given this place's penchant for picking up on the most minute detail, I can't shake the feeling that if someone else had said it there would have been a greater reaction from the good people of Bigfooty who have traditionally railed against the board arbitrarily earmarking preferred candidates for election, and the general lack of impartiality and a level playing field that has plagued board appointments for far too long now.

Any personal associations do not override my principle(d) concerns in that area.

I worked very closely with Sonja in 2007, and could definitely shed some light on that. However, given that so much of what we did was kind of covert or through non-official channels, involving people that would probably prefer to keep their contributions on the down low, I'm reluctant to speak out of school on the subject. I can say that Sonja was close to Ron Joseph at the time and will attest to the fact that she did a mountain of great work on the side of the good guys. Apologies for the vagueness, but credit where it's due.

Ultimately, at the risk of sounding a little beige here, I think both are probably well-credentialed enough to make a decent fist of it. Sonja's acumen in similar and/or related roles speaks for itself, and while I'm yet to hear anything significantly compelling from Paul in his attempt to connect with the average rank-and-file members that populate this site, I do like the idea of having a voice on the board that has come from outside of the, erm, existing interpersonal networks.

M'eh, I'm going to take the positive view that whoever the successful candidate may be (pssst, it'll be Sonja), it's a win either way. But rest assured that the voices in my head will continue to denounce any board elections that aren't conducted with a genuinely fair and non-preferential hand. Sic semper tyrannis!
TOD - agree wholeheartedly re Sonja. Good person who is 100% royal blue and white. Her appointment by the board will cost her some votes but, like you, I don't think we can lose.

My take is that Buckley & Archer were at the helm of addressing last years debacle and the removal of Scott, so they will address things if it gets out of hand, and they aren't the sort of folks who think everything is wonderful just because the books are balanced. They will be getting my vote.

Sonja and I were introduced to each other several years ago via the actions of a 3rd party. She is one of three people I have met through associations with bigfooty. I remember back in 2007 when she sent me a P.M. commending my heavy lobbying for Brayshaw as "heroic", although what I didn't know at the time was that she was going to ride in to Arden Street on the Scanlon coat tails with the "Huddle" stuff, and I suspect she also influenced the political change in direction for the running of the club. What has this delivered to the club in real tangible terms? Nothing. I am of the opinion that she is a well meaning and decent person, but she is also a canny & devious political operator, and I don't for one second believe that her passion for the NMFC comes remotely close to her passions for feminism and multicultural causes, with the NMFC serving as her personal vessel for those causes. She won't be getting my vote. If she is elected and manages to deliver anything to the club over and above her personal whims, via her "political connections", then I will be the first to put my hand up and acknowledge her.

Paul Crapper may or may not be a point of difference on the board, but it appears he is playing without a dealt hand at the moment. I am currently undecided as to whether he will get my vote.

Last edited:
If it's agreed that "Our Image" is a significant issue to be addressed, what are our suggestions as to how to do this?

My thoughts.
1. The Club publically declares that there will never be a further increase in home games in Tasmania.
2. The Club publically declares that when Tasmania gets its own team, which it should, we will be totally Victorian based.
3. The Club commits to members that it will aggressively respond to any media statement that pushes the "they're Tasmania bound" OR "they need to merge/relocate".
4. If our churn rate is higher than the Victorian Club average, then target this with specific actions e.g.
a) contact each lapsed member to see why they left, then have strategies to address these issues e.g.
(i) I lost my job - Offer a free 3 game GA membership for one year. The track the results. The same can be done for just separated or divorced.
(ii) I can't get too many games. Same as above.
b) The Club is going to Tasmania, I'm out. The Club to respond with - we are committed to stay and need you to continue to be a member to achieve this.

Other Suggestions.

I don't for one second believe that her passion for the NMFC comes remotely close to her passions for feminism and multicultural causes, with the NMFC serving as her personal vessel for those causes.

You are a cancer on this once-great BF NMFC community.

Your non-stop drivel and astoundingly high opinion of yourself (despite the fact that you say literally nothing of substance) has just continuously leeched the fun and camaraderie out of this joint over the past few years.

In a thread about board elections you have multiple posts on every single page, just absolutely derailing the conversation by trying to ascribe your own version of "purity tests" on to the candidates, and yet if the club was run how you wanted it we would no longer be in the AFL, and we would be the least successful VFL club in existence. And as long as we weren't 'catering to the feminazis' you'd no doubt be pleased with this outcome.

I am sure you'll respond to this post with some sort of non-sequitur about how I've been "triggered", or perhaps you'll reach in to your bag of cliches and pull out one of the old gems about how 'brainwashed the lefties' are these days. Or some equally boring trope. Rest assured, it's unlikely I'll see whatever version of your standard bullshit you decide to roll out here.

But make no mistake about it; BigFooty would unequivocally be a better place without you.

Set % for away fans like the EPL.

For example, Essendon v North at Marvel.

10% of stadium is given to the away team (North) to sell to its supporters, fully blanked out for home fans.

Both clubs make more (some) money, away fans are encouraged to go rather than using the excuse of I don’t want to give my hard earned to those moan and grunts etc Plus game day atmosphere is heightened as both sets of fans are seated together and there is less confrontational aspect where fans aren’t scared to support their club.

I beg to Differ. He posted the first letter of a fellow poster’s name and then claimed it to be a Typo. Funny Stuff that. Also loving the work of Media Manager gokangas. This thread is akin to Half Tonne Mom sitting on the Crapper. :stern look

LOL that’s
After 37 years as a NMFC member and as a qualified and experienced Director, I thought I would introduce myself to the Big Footy Community following the opening of NMFC Board voting today. I’m the first person for some years to be cleared by the independent nominations committee to stand for the NMFC Board and force an election.

I’m keen to represent the “rank and file” member and ensure NMFC will always be based in Melbourne.

Look me up on LinkedIn.

Cheers
Paul

QUOTE:

A lot has been said here on BF over the last day or so on whether I have a platform or agenda for running to join the NMFC Board. And now having taken the time to listen to you here has consolidated my thinking (a major reason I came on to BF was to listen to issues and concerns from people knowledgeable about member and supporter concerns):

As a considered individual based on past experiences, with a lot more to learn re the internal workings of the NMFC, my platform’s priorities are simple (albeit still agile enough to consider and take on further advice):

1. Be the member and supporter advocate on the Board that the Board doesn’t have including addressing game day issues.

2. Keep NMFC in Melbourne and move away from reliance on selling games for revenue.

3. Repair NMFC’s image and get away from the “struggling club” image.

4. Leverage my relationships with the MCC and building and planning sectors to assist NMFC’s position to secure our home at Arden St.

5. Ensure the future strategy, operational strategy and risk management continue to be financially sustainable and strengthen the organisation going forward.

6. Address the membership churn issue and align it with the large member based clubs.

7. Don’t be afraid to ask the difficult questions or raise the burning issues for members and supporters in the Board room.

8. Finally, and quite obviously, do what I can to support on field success.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen to me and consider me.

Anyway have a good week and I will check back in when I can.

Cheers
Paul

Anyway Paul Crapper buy a Premiership club membership, get rid of the quotas and bullshit and return us to the ruthless dgaf club I’ve always supported - and crappers, don’t get bogged down by these annoying dribblers. If it were up to them we’d all earn the same wage and live like soviets on rations.

Can we organise facts here though - the football department has been a disgrace, that's the only failure. Administratively and from a business POV, the club is in the best position it's ever been. A very small debt, money in the bank and investing continually in our assets.

Like nostalgia for the old days is great, but not sure what's so macho about tin rattling.

After 37 years as a NMFC member and as a qualified and experienced Director, I thought I would introduce myself to the Big Footy Community following the opening of NMFC Board voting today. I’m the first person for some years to be cleared by the independent nominations committee to stand for the NMFC Board and force an election.

I’m keen to represent the “rank and file” member and ensure NMFC will always be based in Melbourne.

Look me up on LinkedIn.

Cheers
Paul

QUOTE:

Re-post: Got my earlier message mixed up with a reply to Zondor’s funny remark. Apologies.

My Platform:

A lot has been said here on BF whether I have a platform or agenda. And taking the time to listen to you here has now consolidated my thinking (a major reason I came on to BF was to listen to knowledgeable issues and concerns).

As a considered individual based on past experiences, with more to learn re the internal workings of the NMFC, my platform is simple (albeit still agile enough to consider and take on further advice):

1. Be the member and supporter advocate on the Board that the Board doesn’t have including addressing game day issues.

2. Keep NMFC in Melbourne and move away from reliance on selling games for revenue.

3. Repair NMFC’s image and get away from the “struggling club” image.

4. Leverage my relationships with the MCC, building and planning to assist our position to secure our home at Arden St.

5. Ensure the future strategy and operational strategy continue to be financially sustainable and strengthen the organisation going forward.

6. Address the membership churn issue and align it with the large member based clubs.

7. Don’t be afraid to ask the difficult questions or raise the burning issues for members and supporters in the Board room.

8. Finally, and quite obviously, do what I can to support on field success.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen to me and consider me.

Anyway have a good week and I will check back in when I can.

All the best.

Cheers
Paul

Is that directed at me?

No C here, here no C.

That bloke was a racist nutter - I prefer to be casually racist in private.

We need to stop leasing. Period.
Borrow the money at 3% buy the land and develop it ourselves, whatever it takes to put down a marker that we ain’t going anywhere.

We turn over $40m p.a, we should have more than a lease of a park to our name.

Get council and govt to give it to us like the Dogs got.

Have a look at how the Dogs did that.

It's basically the complete opposite approach to what you advocated earlier.

Get council and govt to give it to us like the Dogs got.

Have a look at how the Dogs did that.

It's basically the complete opposite approach to what you advocated earlier.

Of course that would be better, but we’d still be relying on handouts.

Sometimes you need to prove to the market that you can do it without help of anyone but a bank.

I’d rather buy it, then lease it back to the pool or huddle or whatever and get them to pay off our mortgage.

Or better yet, turn it into a 15,000 seat + 7000 standing room stadium to take back the Tassie games against low drawing clubs and rent it out to festivals, concerts and WBBL during the off-season.

Ie: think big, can always scale it back if required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back