NMFC Board Elections

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Crapper

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taking into account this "diversity of member opinions", and as a "members' advocate", how do you decide which group of diverse opinions you listen to? For instance, as a supporter of the AFLW side, how would you respond if there was a groundswell of opposition to its existence?

And does your positioning as a members' advocate imply that other board members are not advocating for members? If not, who are they advocating for? Are they in it for themselves? Or if they are advocating for members, how will you be any different to them?

I see a members advocate as someone who is elected by members to listen to members and take the various opinions to the Board and the club for discussion. And then to re-connect with members and supporters after doing so.

Paul Crapper

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see a members advocate as someone who is elected by members to listen to members and take the various opinions to the Board and the club for discussion. And then to re-connect with members and supporters after doing so.

Just so you are aware, I have been on Boards such as SCOPE Business Enterprises, Common Fate Ltd (with Aboriginal Elders Pat Dodson and Paul Briggs) and Housing for the Homeless, so I am focused on contributing to community and listening broadly to people. I have worked closely with key building and plumbing unions and worked with Rumbalara FNC (even playing footy with them at one time). Gender equality is also an important area for me. To me a members advocate at NMFC would contribute to the NMFC community.

Are they in it for themselves?
I've dealt with quite a few boards over the years and IMHO they're pretty much all in it for themselves.

Out of our current board and candidates, I reckon Arch would be the one who's least in it for his own purposes. Uncoincidentally, he's also the one with the least board/governance experience.

Just so you are aware, I have been on Boards such as SCOPE Business Enterprises, Common Fate Ltd (with Aboriginal Elders Pat Dodson and Paul Briggs) and Housing for the Homeless, so I am focused on contributing to community and listening broadly to people. I have worked closely with key building and plumbing unions and worked with Rumbalara FNC (even playing footy with them at one time). Gender equality is also an important area for me. To me a members advocate at NMFC would contribute to the NMFC community.

You should seriously run next year.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would but my focus would still be on the members and supporters issues, concerns and interests.

That's fair enough, and I have no doubt that you could make this your focus, whether you accepted a casual vacancy, or whether you ran for election in direct competition with incumbents. I would like to think the aging rebels around here could see past their "independent" goggles to appreciate that. It's all about the nominee and what they offer, it's not about who has approved them or who they are going to disrupt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support the Huddle. Amongst other things it attracts people to the NMFC.

Good stuff.

Unsure why really you're running directly against Sonja.

As I keep saying, run again next year.

Paul Crapper

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

As I have previously stated, I am running for the Board to be a members advocate and because of my background experience what I thought I could bring to NMFC. You will also recall that I said previously the NMFC constitution allows between 3 and 12 Board members, yet the Board only has 6 members. Despite that, the club called an election, which has led to a vote and perceptions that an independent candidate (which indeed I am) is running against a “ticket”.

I want to make it clear that I never put up a nomination to “run against” anyone. It is also why I’m not going to “die in the ditch” if I don’t get elected.

At the end of the day, my focus remains on the growth of the club, the future sustainability of the club in Melbourne (at Arden St) and ensuring members and supporters are heard and represented at the Board table.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Taking into account this "diversity of member opinions", and as a "members' advocate", how do you decide which group of diverse opinions you listen to? For instance, as a supporter of the AFLW side, how would you respond if there was a groundswell of opposition to its existence?

And does your positioning as a members' advocate imply that other board members are not advocating for members? If not, who are they advocating for? Are they in it for themselves? Or if they are advocating for members, how will you be any different to them?

I liked your post big_e, not for it's apparent antagonism towards Paul, as other 'likes' imply, but because I think this is fundamental to Paul's credentials. This is exactly the differentiation he's seeking to offer. 'Members advocate.' Hence, it's worth drilling down on this further to ask what this means to Paul.

A hodge podge of thoughts...

I'm hearing 'transparency' as much as 'advocacy.' The implication being that the previous Board hasn't been sufficiently transparent. Is that how you see it? No agenda here; just interested to know. If so, in relation to what?

It would certainly be my view, particularly in relation to Tasmania. And, on this issue, I can well imagine this being a classic 'lose-lose' situation for the Board, when it comes to communication. In other words, it becomes 'commercially sensitive' to share, thus undermining transparency.

Let's face it, governance principles (and requirements?) involve 'Board solidarity,' in which Board Members are obliged to get behind Board decisions, and also the requirement of Board members to maintain confidentiality of Board discussions.

Where does that leave you? What room is there for you to be 'disruptive'? How, specifically, will you be doing this?

I'm assuming you're avoiding a 'negative campaign' by not responding to big_e's questions about the implication that other Board members aren't advocating for members. I'd prefer you were a bit more up-front on this. I don't think you think they're necessarily advocating for others, but rather that they aren't necessarily 'listening and responding' sufficiently. Either way Paul...?!

Being a mate of Pat Dodson's is almost enough for me to vote for you. Get him to take out a NMFC club membership and it's in the bag!

Is it heresy for me to say that, if Paul is to be successful, it could only be at the expense of Arch?

Ben Buckley (Ex-NMFC player +++)
Glenn Archer (Ex-NMFC player)
Sonja Hood (Progressive, Huddle, Non-football stuff...)
Paul Crapper (Independent, Keep everyone honest, anti boys’ club vibe)

Paul Crapper

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I liked your post big_e, not for it's apparent antagonism towards Paul, as other 'likes' imply, but because I think this is fundamental to Paul's credentials. This is exactly the differentiation he's seeking to offer. 'Members advocate.' Hence, it's worth drilling down on this further to ask what this means to Paul.

A hodge podge of thoughts...

I'm hearing 'transparency' as much as 'advocacy.' The implication being that the previous Board hasn't been sufficiently transparent. Is that how you see it? No agenda here; just interested to know. If so, in relation to what?

It would certainly be my view, particularly in relation to Tasmania. And, on this issue, I can well imagine this being a classic 'lose-lose' situation for the Board, when it comes to communication. In other words, it becomes 'commercially sensitive' to share, thus undermining transparency.

Let's face it, governance principles (and requirements?) involve 'Board solidarity,' in which Board Members are obliged to get behind Board decisions, and also the requirement of Board members to maintain confidentiality of Board discussions.

Where does that leave you? What room is there for you to be 'disruptive'? How, specifically, will you be doing this?

I'm assuming you're avoiding a 'negative campaign' by not responding to big_e's questions about the implication that other Board members aren't advocating for members. I'd prefer you were a bit more up-front on this. I don't think you think they're necessarily advocating for others, but rather that they aren't necessarily 'listening and responding' sufficiently. Either way Paul...?!

Being a mate of Pat Dodson's is almost enough for me to vote for you. Get him to take out a NMFC club membership and it's in the bag!

Absolutely no chance of getting Pat to be anything but Essendon through and through! Unfortunately.

Your thoughts are valid. I have no intention of making negative comments. Which is why I have declined invitations from the media for interviews.

I see more from the Board engaging, listening, discussing and responding to member and supporters concerns as an improvement opportunity going forward. Call it transparency, advocacy, people focus....what ever you like.

I’m hoping with “new blood” on the Board the concept of a members advocate would be supported within a traditional members based organisation.

Is it heresy for me to say that, if Paul is to be successful, it could only be at the expense of Arch?

Ben Buckley (Ex-NMFC player +++)
Glenn Archer (Ex-NMFC player)
Sonja Hood (Progressive, Huddle, Non-football stuff...)
Paul Crapper (Independent, Keep everyone honest, anti boys’ club vibe)

... or else,- as Paul appears to me to be inferring... if he can generate enough votes, he might get added to the board, along with the other three. I must say that would be an outcome that I’d be very comfortable with.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Are you from the Katamatite Region of Victoria Paul?

Jy Simpkin is from this area behind the trail blazer Sammy Wright from Katamatite

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
As I have previously stated, I am running for the Board to be a members advocate and because of my background experience what I thought I could bring to NMFC. You will also recall that I said previously the NMFC constitution allows between 3 and 12 Board members, yet the Board only has 6 members. Despite that, the club called an election, which has led to a vote and perceptions that an independent candidate (which indeed I am) is running against a “ticket”.

I want to make it clear that I never put up a nomination to “run against” anyone. It is also why I’m not going to “die in the ditch” if I don’t get elected.

At the end of the day, my focus remains on the growth of the club, the future sustainability of the club in Melbourne (at Arden St) and ensuring members and supporters are heard and represented at the Board table.

Paul Crapper

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you from the Katamatite Region of Victoria Paul?

Jy Simpkin is from this area behind the trail blazer Sammy Wright from Katamatite

No I’m a city slicker....

My work with the government in the past has seen me actively supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Which has included Rumbalara, a Plumbing Union Indigenous Plumbing Apprenticeship Scheme (pretty funny given my surname 😁) and on the Board of Common Fate focused on reconciliation and creating opportunity for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back