• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
This has become a topic beyond the Andrew Swallow thread.

Unless something dramatically changes it might be time for a change next season.

Have listed most plausible candidates based on either experience, currently in leadership group or youngsters with some exposed leadership potential that could put them in the 2017 mix, Wayne Carey style.

I know you guys pay much more attention than myself to these things. But why a change?

Personally, I think sticking with the current set-up would send the message that this is just part of the cycle, confidence is there that things will be turned around, and that there is no crisis. Personally I think that is the case.

We've been near the top (after finals) for a while, we'll drop next year or the year after, and have the capacity to start playing/winning finals again a couple of years after that - without bottoming out Carlton/Melbourne/Brisbane style. It happens. Especially with smaller clubs, where it seems to take an extra two years or so for young players to properly develop.

If there is a change, then JZ gives the leadership-by-example option.

It'll be Jack or Jmac.

I would like Luke in the centralised leadership middle management committee, if that's the style of hogwash we are running with again.

If it's just 3 blokes Jack, Jmac and maybe Higgins.

I know you guys pay much more attention than myself to these things. But why a change?

Personally, I think sticking with the current set-up would send the message that this is just part of the cycle, confidence is there that things will be turned around, and that there is no crisis. Personally I think that is the case.

We've been near the top (after finals) for a while, we'll drop next year or the year after, and have the capacity to start playing/winning finals again a couple of years after that - without bottoming out Carlton/Melbourne/Brisbane style. It happens. Especially with smaller clubs, where it seems to take an extra two years or so for young players to properly develop.

If there is a change, then JZ gives the leadership-by-example option.
We generally pass the captaincy off while the current captain is still playing, so he can act as a bit of a mentor for the new captain. Swallow will be 30 next year, probably the right time to pass it on.

Because we need a change.

We are again heading to a finals series where we have to over achieve to get anywhere.

As a group we have consistently underperformed for the best part of 5 years.

We need new. Coaching blood as well. Someone who will offer something different.

We play a stale brand of football that can't win enough home and away games. We go alright in finals but are yet to be able to put ourselves in a position to really challenge for a flag.

That's why change.

Ziebell isn't consistent enough to be captain he also continues to make amateur mistakes. It's the same reason why we want to remove the captaincy from Swallow. I think Ziebell should be removed from the leadership group altogether so he can focus on his own game. Otherwise he is just going to continue to be a b-grader.

I like Jmac but he isn't the sort of bloke who will get you over the line when you need a big lift from someone.

I hope Goldy or Taz gets the nod, they have been our two most consistent players over the past two years have set the bar high in terms of work rate and progression. They are both very well respected amongst the leadership group and I wouldn't imagine the leadership would be a burden for them like it could our middle aged midfielders.

I'm not so sure North has under-performed. I can understand why people want change, and certainly some list renewal is due now the last roll of the dice hasn't delivered. I'm not so sure an overhaul of everything is required, but certainly fair to ask the question. We're not in crisis, nor do I see us heading that way.

I guess I also don't really rate captaincy as that important in footy, unlike something like cricket. For me, showing confidence that the club is on a decent path is perhaps more important while the transition begins.

Tarrant as a late bolter. Leads by example on the field and is impressive off the field from what I have seen.

Goldy deserves a shot as well. Workhorse and heart and soul.

Think JZ would buckle under the weight. Should focus on his game and getting that consistent.

J-Mac hasn't done enough yet to warrant consideration in my books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure North has under-performed. I can understand why people want change, and certainly some list renewal is due now the last roll of the dice hasn't delivered. I'm not so sure an overhaul of everything is required, but certainly fair to ask the question. We're not in crisis, nor do I see us heading that way.

I guess I also don't really rate captaincy as that important in footy, unlike something like cricket. For me, showing confidence that the club is on a decent path is perhaps more important while the transition begins.

Do you want me to point out specific games where we lacked the mental fortitude to get the job done?

Ziebell isn't consistent enough to be captain he also continues to make amateur mistakes. It's the same reason why we want to remove the captaincy from Swallow. I think Ziebell should be removed from the leadership group altogether so he can focus on his own game. Otherwise he is just going to continue to be a b-grader.

I like Jmac but he isn't the sort of bloke who will get you over the line when you need a big lift from someone.

I hope Goldy or Taz gets the nod, they have been our two most consistent players over the past two years have set the bar high in terms of work rate and progression. They are both very well respected amongst the leadership group and I wouldn't imagine the leadership would be a burden for them like it could our middle aged midfielders.

Agreed.

Jack seems a nice enough bloke and all that, but the is either too much going on in his head at the moment, or not enough (hard to tell).

JMac has poise and is capable of lifting. He needs soldiers to carry the hard slog, but so long as those blokes respect his ability they will work for him too.

Jack from all reports get stuck into the guys when their effort isn't at a desired level not sure JMac, Goldie and co would do that? Rhetorical is what I'm being, I think I know the answer.

We need a guy like him leading, * the best fit for our bunch of nancy boys.imo of course :)

After watching Jack over the last month I just don't see leader in him.

Makes mistakes when we need leadership I just don't see the player we where hoping for at the start of the year, and it kills me to say this.

For me it is Taz or Jmac.

I see leaders in both, Taz has lead by example and Jmac by just doing the right things at the right time.

But I am sure Jack will get the nod.

Back