NMFC CEO Message

Wouldn't be the first time you white knighted someone and it won't be the last...

The alarming thing for me was those that gave Paul extra leeway that you know for a fact Sonja wouldn't be given. People need to be consistent. I have absolutely no issue with Sonja - I don't know her I just want the best available and the best for North.

His 'dinner with 3 people' answers: His grandad, an aboriginal leader, and feminist fighting for equal rights. Come on...

He managed to tick off the family, minority and gender boxes all in one question. That for me is the epitome of political speak and telling people what they want to hear. Then he trotted in here as "one of the people" - lol. He would have used us just so he could slide into the boys club. He would have sold us out quicker than your type did during 9/11.

Ahhh spare me your cooked mega online world view.

Though, remind me how my type "sold us out" in 9/11.

This will be good.

Last edited:

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahhh spare me you cooked mega online world view.

Though, remind me how my type "sold us out" in 9/11.

This will be good.
The mass media became a bigger enemy to the common man and an ally to the government. It always was but this was a huge moment in time that highlighted that the mass media is the government's primary propaganda machine. Helping governments act in a more authoritarian way.

"It is a melancholy truth, that a suppression of the press could not more completely deprive the nation of its benefits than is done by it's abandoned prostitution to falsehood. Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day. I really look with commiseration over the great body of my fellow citizens, who, reading newspapers, live & die in the belief, that they have known something of what has been passing in the world in their time; whereas the accounts they have read in newspapers are just as a true history of any other period of the world as of the present, except that the real names of the day are affixed to their fables. General facts may indeed be collected from them, such as that Europe is now at war, that Bonaparte has been a successful warrior, that he has subjected a great portion of Europe to his will, &c., &c.; but no details can be relied on. I will add, that the man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them; inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. He who reads nothing will still learn the great facts, and the details are all false."

Wouldn't be the first time you white knighted someone and it won't be the last...

The alarming thing for me was those that gave Paul extra leeway that you know for a fact Sonja wouldn't be given. People need to be consistent. I have absolutely no issue with Sonja - I don't know her I just want the best available and the best for North.

His 'dinner with 3 people' answers: His grandad, an aboriginal leader, and feminist fighting for equal rights. Come on...

He managed to tick off the family, minority and gender boxes all in one question. That for me is the epitome of political speak and telling people what they want to hear. Then he trotted in here as "one of the people" - lol. He would have used us just so he could slide into the boys club. He would have sold us out quicker than your type did during 9/11.

He reckons he was mates with one of the Dodson brothers. That's who he said he'd have dinner with.

It did seem like a well planned answer tho.

He would have sold us out quicker than your type did during 9/11.

What does that mean?

The mass media became a bigger enemy to the common man and an ally to the government. It always was but this was a huge moment in time that highlighted that the mass media is the government's primary propaganda machine. Helping governments act in a more authoritarian way.

Yes but I didn't work for CNN. I worked for the kind of publications that yourself said are the the last best hope for media.

I think you owe me an apology.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys

"It is a melancholy truth, that a suppression of the press could not more completely deprive the nation of its benefits than is done by it's abandoned prostitution to falsehood. Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day. I really look with commiseration over the great body of my fellow citizens, who, reading newspapers, live & die in the belief, that they have known something of what has been passing in the world in their time; whereas the accounts they have read in newspapers are just as a true history of any other period of the world as of the present, except that the real names of the day are affixed to their fables. General facts may indeed be collected from them, such as that Europe is now at war, that Bonaparte has been a successful warrior, that he has subjected a great portion of Europe to his will, &c., &c.; but no details can be relied on. I will add, that the man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them; inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. He who reads nothing will still learn the great facts, and the details are all false."
We avoided all news over the weekend. We generally have that policy. Nothing ever happens that can't be sorted out on Monday.

Now I'm back at work and everything is going to sh!t. The 24 hours news cycle just breeds anxiety about stuff irrelevant to you, or out of your control.

We avoided all news over the weekend. We generally have that policy. Nothing ever happens that can't be sorted out on Monday.

Now I'm back at work and everything is going to sh!t. The 24 hours news cycle just breeds anxiety about stuff irrelevant to you, or out of your control.

24 hours news cycle is indeed bad, but is social media that's really taken things out of control.

It has cooked the brains - literally, dopamine release cycles - of otherwise smart people.

You can see it on this very thread. There's posters who sound like paranoid meth freaks because of their social media use.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes but I didn't work for CNN. I worked for the kind of publications that yourself said are the the last best hope for media.

I think you owe me an apology.
That's not a publication. It's a blog with some shred of credibility because researchers help operate it.

You're not a researcher and I give credit to the people that helped create it. If you were left to your own devices you would have spun it around somehow to stroke your own ego.

That's not a publication. It's a blog with some shred of credibility because researchers help operate it.

You're not a researcher and I give credit to the people that helped create it. If you were left to your own devices you would have spun it around somehow to stroke your own ego.

I was one of the foundation staff, one of the first major editorial hires.

I helped create it lol.

It is actually people like YOU who sold the world out post 9/11.

Your beloved Project Veritas is actually a front for Blackwater and Erik Prince. Useful idiots like you let that happen.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is actually people like YOU who sold the world out post 9/11.
f5374fa627f6c37ff291379c075d0909.gif

source.gif

HOW DARE YOU!!!

That’s a fair argument that holds a lot of water. However, I prefer to go with the line that there is a genuine “battle of ideas” playing out in the broader media all the time... and it can be scary. Nowadays, every opinion gets a guernsey. That’s not going to change unless a totalitarian regime takes over the west. There are people in the media who I despise and there are people I follow. That’s my bias. Make no mistake, every single one of us is biased - no matter how much we, individually, claim that we’re not? The media is there to challenge our biases and, in my view, we would be the poorer without it. My bias is to the left and towards a free and diverse media. I am biased towards what I believe to be true. I would think every body else here is as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would think every body else here is as well.
That word is the issue. People don't think. They rely on the media to tell them what to think which is why they are the primary propaganda machine. Journalists are just artists in misinformation. Pushing narratives, omitting key facts, using tools to suppress information (the use of conspiracy is a common one that is even helped along by the lay population), etc. etc.

Common sense, logic and the ability to critically analyse is rare among people. On top of that smart people can be impacted by several variables.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I just don't get trolling. So mindless and self-centred.

I guess the old adage, 'Set a thief to catch a thief' is apt.

That word is the issue. People don't think. They rely on the media to tell them what to think which is why they are the primary propaganda machine. Journalists are just artists in misinformation. Pushing narratives, omitting key facts, using tools to suppress information (the use of conspiracy is a common one that is even helped along by the lay population), etc. etc.

Common sense, logic and the ability to critically analyse is rare among people. On top of that smart people can be impacted by several variables.

One part of me agrees with everything you’ve written here, GG, and the other part is totally appalled. The vast majority of people push their own barrow and highlight the areas that support their point of view. That’s just human nature - love it or hate it. Some of us think we’re “cleverer” than the rest. We could be right, we could be wrong. It matters not a whit in situations like this. I don’t want a dictatorship but I reckon it could easily be argued that a dictatorship would deal with this crisis better than the “free” world. This virus is an opportunity for reflection for us all. Will we take it? Probably, not. There is a price to pay for our “freedoms” (or is that a fallacy as well?). That price is that everybody gets an “equal” (another fallacy but you know what I mean?) say, regardless of there apparent cleverness or stupidity.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That price is that everybody gets an “equal” (another fallacy but you know what I mean?) say, regardless of there apparent cleverness or stupidity.

That's part of the problem. Not everyone gets an equal say. Thanks to social media, MSM and the status quo some have been removed from the table so the majority get one-sided messages (of course each country is different with what they do and don't allow). That makes it even harder for people because it is more reliant upon them to decipher fact from fiction. Echo chambers are a big issue.

That's part of the problem. Not everyone gets an equal say. Thanks to social media, MSM and the status quo some have been removed from the table so the majority get one-sided messages (of course each country is different with what they do and don't allow). That makes it even harder for people because it is more reliant upon them to decipher fact from fiction. Echo chambers are a big issue.

I agree and, in a way (however obtuse) that’s the beauty of it all. Different countries - different biases/approaches to life.

Back