Opinion NMFC Greatest Mark (90's onwards)

Greatest NMFC Mark

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
No I'm not talking about Mark Attard, Mark Brayshaw, Mark Lisle or even Mark Hilton... I'm talking high flying, rarefied air time, death defying grabs!

Chucked up a quick poll with clips.

Personally I loved Azza's grab, looked like he went 2 storey's up from ground level.

Do your best family.

Why is it 90s onwards?

images (71).jpeg

Because in terms of stages this one would be right up there.

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
No I'm not talking about Mark Attard, Mark Brayshaw, Mark Lisle or even Mark Hilton... I'm talking high flying, rarefied air time, death defying grabs!

Personally I loved Azza's grab, looked like he went 2 storey's up from ground level.

Do your best family.

Fruity

Sadly Dugga's classic wasn't paid as a mark. I think I have commented in another thread that the man himself told me that he got up so high the umpire gasped and had no breath left to blow the whistle. (Great man John Dugdale!!!!!!!!!!!)
Sadly or may have been greatest ever. That pic sat behind the social club bar for many years. John is a ripper bloke.

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sadly Dugga's classic wasn't paid as a mark. I think I have commented in another thread that the man himself told me that he got up so high the umpire gasped and had no breath left to blow the whistle. (Great man John Dugdale!!!!!!!!!!!)
Sorry, meant to add that Snake Baker's grab in the 78 GF electrified the place. You could almost feel that it was going to happen.Situational. Sadly I think he missed and kicked a behind.. Witnessed Fruity Allison's grab too. Loved it.

Winston’s for mine, not just for the mark but you can see him running flat out just to get there.

Carey took a great mark against the Cats in the 1997 final. I’m pretty sure he was behind the pack and I still don’t know how he got it.

Best not paid mark I’ve seen was Anthony Stevens vs Sydney at the G in 1998. He did a 180 in mid air clearly took the mark but the umps didn’t pay it.

I went for Winnie because it was in Canberra and I saw it live. But the others are just as good. I suspect the chocolates will go to either Allison, Abraham or Edwards.

Besides those mentioned in the poll, Carey's mark against Geelong in early 1996 was brilliant (I think he climbed over McKernan and Mensch, with Barnes and King going the spoil) and I remember Longmire taking one while crashing into the behind post (IIRC) which may not have been as spectacular but was definitely courageous.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't (or don't want to) split them, but I can say without equivocation, all of them are better than any taken by a player from any other club, apart from a few taken by Fitzroy players prior to 1996. And I'm not in the least bit biased either.

May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners
I can't (or don't want to) split them, but I can say without equivocation, all of them are better than any taken by a player from any other club, apart from a few taken by Fitzroy players prior to 1996. And I'm not in the least bit biased either.

So the Lynch mark against North ranks high. :)

Been lucky to be at most of those.
3. Winnie
2. Fruity
1. Azzalenko

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fruity's was a classic example of a clean speccie, but Azza's was on another level.

Do your best family.

Hard to pick.

I like Maj and Winnie's marks cos of the way they dominate the space. Both leaps are huge in terms of length as well as height.

Azza's and Fruity's are great in terms of perfect rides on someone's back.

Still undecided.

Obviously love a big hanger as much as anyone, but when Carey would take those one-handers one-out pushing off his man ... you’d just laugh out loud in disbelief no matter how many times you’d seen it before. The one he took against Footscray off Boomer's kick it about 8:05 of that extended Carey marks video I reckon is the best mark in terms of pure skill I’ve ever seen.

Back