Opinion NMFC Greatest Mark (90's onwards)

Greatest NMFC Mark

• Total voters
Not the greatest but Tazza took a beauty against the pups a few years back. Aesthetically very nice.

Obviously love a big hanger as much as anyone, but when Carey would take those one-handers one-out pushing off his man ... you’d just laugh out loud in disbelief no matter how many times you’d seen it before. The one he took against Footscray off Boomer's kick it about 8:05 of that extended Carey marks video I reckon is the best mark in terms of pure skill I’ve ever seen.

100% agree. For pure skill he's the best I've seen. Nobody marked more that he had no right to mark.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Obviously love a big hanger as much as anyone, but when Carey would take those one-handers one-out pushing off his man ... you’d just laugh out loud in disbelief no matter how many times you’d seen it before. The one he took against Footscray off Boomer's kick it about 8:05 of that extended Carey marks video I reckon is the best mark in terms of pure skill I’ve ever seen.
Yeah spot on Rob.

The problem with the King was he did the amazing so often it actually became normal.

The strength to hold off 1,2 or even 3 defenders with one arm and taking a one-hander with the other.. and then the sheer arrogance of him tapping the pill to himself with the same one hand he marked it with, as if to say to the world ”I’m toying with these muppets,.” is the reason opposition supporters hated him and we worshiped him 👍🏼

Duck mastered the art of backing back into his opponent and legally protected the drop of the ball zone so he can take the mark.
He would use his torso or sometimes even his elbows/shoulder and defenders couldn’t do anything about it.

Amid all the bullshit that gets spoken about in footy media I’m surprised no one, not even credible journalists have ever sat down and written a piece on why Duck was so great and how he crafted his art form.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Duck mastered the art of backing back into his opponent and legally protected the drop of the ball zone so he can take the mark.
He would use his torso or sometimes even his elbows/shoulder and defenders couldn’t do anything about it.

Amid all the bullshit that gets spoken about in footy media I’m surprised no one, not even credible journalists have ever sat down and written a piece on why Duck was so great and how he crafted his art form.
Would be interested to know if he played any other ball sports as a kid, because his hand/eye coordination was just off the charts. You only have to look at the amount of marks taken running with the flight of the ball, his judgement was on point (not to mention the courage). Not a question that can really be answered, but can anyone remember him ever running under the flight of the ball unintentionally? His judgement of the ball in flight was unparalleled!

For mine Winnies in Canberra the best North mark I've seen, including on TV.

The best I've seen live was by Winnie against Essendon in 1998, got up high and juggled it to the ground, very underrated mark.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Edwards for mine - the below is one of my favourite footy images:

Azza.jpg

Farcical that he didn't win MOTY as it was in a final (from memory the award went to Newton that year, against us too).

Edwards for mine - the below is one of my favourite footy images:

Azza.jpg

Farcical that he didn't win MOTY as it was in a final (from memory the award went to Newton that year, against us too).

Same here and that’s the precise angle I had of it from the ground level, 3rd row of the AFL Members’ area.

Back