Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

What chance did Noble truly have?
The list was cut in half over the past 2 years. Many of them senior players.
We lost our Full forward to Melbourne, our CHB to Richmond, and our 2 best midfielders; one to Geelong the other to illness.
Our treasure chest signing was a cat from Pt Adelaide who we can’t even get on the field.
I can see why some of these cuts were taken, to accelerate our rebuild. However I believe Noble needed more than 38 games grace to turn this shamozzle around.

We lost our Full forward to Melbourne, our CHB to Richmond, and our 2 best midfielders; one to Geelong the other to illness.
Our treasure chest signing was a cat from Pt Adelaide who we can’t even get on the field.
I can see why some of these cuts were taken, to accelerate our rebuild. However I believe Noble needed more than 38 games grace to turn this shamozzle around.
I think most of us agree he was on a hiding to nothing, but we took a big ol' step back this year and the margins and various gameday stats speak to that. I would still like to think things might have turned out differently if the first half of the fixture wasn't so lopsidedly stacked against us, but in the end this is where we are.

These campaigners still running the ‘four coaches in five years’ narrative.
I don't pay that much mind to it in terms of "oh no potential coaches don't want the job because of it", but I think from a player development, acquisition, and retention standpoint it's a ******* killer.

I would have continued with Noble, given how long and difficult a re-build is. But we have bowed to the baying claims that it is a ruthless and competitive 'industry', and that the losses were too much to bear.
The only cause for dismissing him that may be convincing is that, for whatever reasons, he might have been an impediment for some of our best young players in signing new contracts. Perhaps Walsh reported that was the case to the Board. Obviously, that wouldn't be all of them, as under Noble Luke D.U. has really flourished.
Otherwise, I take him at his word at the presser. He did his best, it wasn't working yet, more time would have been good, and he has left the club in a better place because of his work with the team.

I don't pay that much mind to it in terms of "oh no potential coaches don't want the job because of it", but I think from a player development, acquisition, and retention standpoint it's a ******* killer.
Including Scott in the figure when his tenure started 12 years ago is stupid.

It’s been Shaw (19/20), Noble (21/22) then (Insert name here) (23-onwards).

Our third coach in five years, whilst not great, isn’t an all time calamity as has been sold.

Yeah, nah - let's not get carried away here.

Nobes didn't have to play Turner and Mahoney every week; Nobes didn't have to play Larkey one out in the forward line for 12 weeks straight; etc etc etc done to death on these pages this year.

Nobes had a chance to impose himself as a senior coach - he tried - he failed - and he won't coach again at senior level.

The idea that 'he had no chance' is just plain wrong - the sample size to judge his competence was large enough and the right decision taken.

Tell that to the players who debuted later in Scott's tenure.

Frankly I don't know how so many have stuck around throughout this period. I haven't thought much of our leadership group but maybe in this one area they deserve some recognition.

EDIT: On that last point that I assume you edited in, I agree.

It wasn't the fact that we were losing. It was how noncompetitive we were as a football side. No Team. I repeat No Team lost so badly week after week like we have this year. Had we been as competitive like we were in the second half of last season he would still be there coaching the mighty NMFC. The move had to be made. :stern look

However having said all that you are correct that we cut too deep at the end of 2020. We delisted 13 players and traded out 2 more. It was too much. And we continued that trend at the end of 2021. More experience lost or moved on. As a result it has over exposed our youth to the seniors. Rawling should be a very nervous person as Walsh reviews the Football Department. :stern look

The reality is that Noble was not being judged on wins and losses but on the growth and development of our list and game plan.

David is a lovely, measured and analytical bloke and it would be a crying shame if he was lost to the industry.

In the end, it was the lack of discernible progression by the team and the nature of the losses across his body of work that proved his undoing. Winning last weekend would have simply prolonged the inevitable. Sub 50% for/against tells you all you need to know.

I would have continued with Noble, given how long and difficult a re-build is. But we have bowed to the baying claims that it is a ruthless and competitive 'industry', and that the losses were too much to bear.
The only cause for dismissing him that may be convincing is that, for whatever reasons, he might have been an impediment for some of our best young players in signing new contracts. Perhaps Walsh reported that was the case to the Board. Obviously, that wouldn't be all of them, as under Noble Luke D.U. has really flourished.
Otherwise, I take him at his word at the presser. He did his best, it wasn't working yet, more time would have been good, and he has left the club in a better place because of his work with the team.
The ‘only cause’. What part of the game plan were you happy with?
What part of being significantly worse than last season and unprecedented levels of bad can just be glossed over?

You are conveniently ignoring some of the glaring issues (which were likely factors in any player discontent) to paint this ‘what did he do wrong’ picture.

Would rather not indulge in these discussions now that he’s gone but if people are going to ignore some of the realities of the situation then it makes it difficult to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stay away from it - particularly, because we are at such a low ebb right now. However, its unabashed “raison d’être” has always been to stir controversy. On that marker alone, it’s been a raging success. FC is routinely “discussed” on here on a minute to minute basis. We appear to be completely under its spell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I only stay away from the show cause they are full of crap. There's much better footy shows with balance. Anybody silly enough to waste an hour of their life watching it weekly deserves what they get. :)

Name and shame imo. That's the lowest of the low. Isn't a psychologist appointment meant to be confidential? At least it was last time I checked.
Jen2310

Our third coach in five years, whilst not great, isn’t an all time calamity as has been sold.
It’s 4 coaches in 13 years!

It wasn't the fact that we were losing. It was how noncompetitive we were as a football side. No Team. I repeat No Team lost so badly week after week like we have this year. Had we been as competitive like we were in the second half of last season he would still be there coaching the mighty NMFC. The move had to be made. :stern look

However having said all that you are correct that we cut too deep at the end of 2020. We delisted 13 players and traded out 2 more. It was too much. And we continued that trend at the end of 2021. More experience lost or moved on. As a result it has over exposed our youth to the seniors. Rawling should be a very nervous person as Walsh reviews the Football Department. :stern look

Unfortunately, I used to support a team that easily challenged this years performance by North.

In 1964 Fitzroy did not win a game, losing all other games in an 18 Round season. The previous year Fitzroy won just 1 out of 18.

In 1972 North won 1 game and lost 21.

In 1981 Melbourne won 1 game and lost 21

In 1994 Sydney managed just 1 win and 19 losses.

In 1995 Fitzroy won 2 games and lost 20.

Then came that last fateful year being 1996. The Royboys won just 1 game, against Fremantle at the Western Oval, with Anthony Mellington kicking 6 goals.

I can state categorically that the 1996 Fitzroy team was inferior to North this year, in part due to a decimated list - Roos, Pert, Osborne, Gale, Armstrong, Broderick - all at other clubs. Sounds familiar? And in part due to the uncertainty facing every player at the club as the club was about to fold.

Yet, with the right assistance from the AFL, I believe the club could have survived. Of course the AFL did not want that, but that's a whole other story.

On the list in 1996 were players such as Pikey, 4 time Premiership player and my favourite player at that time, Chris Johnson, 3 time premiership player, Steve Paxman, Matty Primus, John Barker, Jarrod Molloy and Brad Boyd. These players and others all went on to have successful careers elsewhere and had those that had already left had stayed around, there was a good bunch of footballers to build around.

That year Fitzroy finished with a percentage of 49.5, the average losing margin was 72.1 points. The biggest loss of the year was against Richmond by 151 points in round 21 and the tears flowed freely at our last game in Victoria.

So, I can comfortably say that there has been a worse team than North in the modern era (University I would suggest easily holds that dubious title since the competition was formed in 1896).

A further comment. While it is easy for some to say that the current North team is not up to AFL standard, the worst of all time, which is wrong, these things are transitory. Things will turn around and eventually some of these players will form the nucleus of a very good team. Sadly, for David Noble, it won't be with him as coach, but it will turn.

BTW, Fitzroy also holds a record that will never be challenged. Winning both the Wooden Spoon and the Flag in the same year.

Facebook fans: Noble has to go

Also facebook fans:
finding nemo fish GIF

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back