Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit a day later, as much as my opinion of David as a person is/was very high - I'm intrigued by the murmurs around his disconnection with some players and staff.

In some ways as sad as it would be to hear this was true, it would point to more latent potential across the club if sour relationships have held things back this year.

Must admit a day later, as much as my opinion of David as a person is/was very high - I'm intrigued by the murmurs around his disconnection with some players and staff.

In some ways as sad as it would be to hear this was true, it would point to more latent potential across the club is sour relationships have held things back this year.
To me the fact the axe was swung mid-review means that damage was probably being done in real time. Outside chance it was because we had a successor coach waiting in the wings and we just wanted to get them in the door ASAP.

To me the fact the axe was swung mid-review means that damage was probably being done in real time. Outside chance it was because we had a successor coach waiting in the wings and we just wanted to get them in the door ASAP.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Yeh true, find it hard to imagine we'll trot out our new permanent coach anytime soon but who knows.

But your real time comment is the key. If the journos claiming the relationships had got to a point action had to be taken were way off base I'd have thought there would be some form of rebuttal filtering through.

People don't need to "argue" this at all.

Shaw categorically was not fired. He quit, due to mental health reasons.

The club was more than happy and willing to put extra support around him in whatever manner he wanted, and he would have been welcome to see out his contract.

The sad reality is that the Shaw saga decimated our club in ways not many people know. This isn't a personal attack against Rhyce Shaw or anything, but the list was managed to his outlined strategy and to his game-plan, and then he left. That hurt us in a huge way and set us back so much farther than people seem to understand or acknowledge.
Figure of speech old chap, you know what I meant and that is the way the media portray events to suit their narrative. Anyway all good and we likely agree.

In some ways as sad as it would be to hear this was true, it would point to more latent potential across the club if sour relationships have held things back this year.
Wasn't so long ago that Robbo said the agents of 15 players had told the HS that nothing was wrong. Some of us agreed the players could still be unhappy but the media wasn't going to be told. Has the media got it right this time?

Howabout people saying they felt like LDU and others knew he was gone as early as Saturday - the way he and others interacted with Noble after the game.

Seems like there's a fair bit to come out.

Thought the general talk of how people/players are feeling has said a lot over the last day. Apart from the mention of tears when Noble spoke to the players(which maybe defeats my whole argument - I guess you can decide that when you get to the end of this post), most of the talk around emotion has suggested there is a sizeable portion of the players who are not feeling sad at all, but perhaps relief, excitement and happiness. Some examples that stood out to me:

In the Leigh Adams address to the players, he asks Edwards, Mahoney and Lazzaro 'how are you feeling':
Edwards - '...never had a new coach before'
Mahoney - 'A bit different, not sure how I feel'
Lazzaro - 'Strange... never had a new coach'

The sort of response I'd expect from players who were genuinely upset/disappointed would be something like 'It was obviously upsetting but you can't dwell on it...' or something along those lines.

Question to Patch in 'Patch on whirlwind 24 hous' video:
'How do you pick a group up and move forward?'
Response from Patch: 'It was a tough day, we tried to get the players out of here as quick as possible to have the day to themselves and deal with whatever emotion they were having...we spoke to them this morning about 'you can feel however you're feeling, everyone's going to have different emotions...'

Again, at no point does he specify it being a sad/upsetting/disappointing day for the players. He deliberately mentions that the players are feeling different emotions - probably because there's a decent portion who are pleased or relieved potentially.

I could be reading too much into it all, but to me, reading between the lines, it seems there were genuine issues with parts of the playing group and Noble.

Thought the general talk of how people/players are feeling has said a lot over the last day. Apart from the mention of tears when Noble spoke to the players(which maybe defeats my whole argument - I guess you can decide that when you get to the end of this post), most of the talk around emotion has suggested there is a sizeable portion of the players who are not feeling sad at all, but perhaps relief, excitement and happiness. Some examples that stood out to me:

In the Leigh Adams address to the players, he asks Edwards, Mahoney and Lazzaro 'how are you feeling':

The sort of response I'd expect from players who were genuinely upset/disappointed would be something like 'It was obviously upsetting but you can't dwell on it...' or something along those lines.

Response from Patch: 'It was a tough day, we tried to get the players out of here as quick as possible to have the day to themselves and deal with whatever emotion they were having...we spoke to them this morning about 'you can feel however you're feeling, everyone's going to have different emotions...'

Again, at no point does he specify it being a sad/upsetting/disappointing day. He deliberately mentions that the players are feeling different emotions - probably because there's a decent portion who are pleased or relieved potentially.

I could be reading too much into it all, but to me, reading between the lines, it seems there were genuine issues with parts of the playing group and Noble.
I picked up on the same thing, particularly the way Adams' words seemed open to the interpretation that different people may have very different emotions about it.

Did noble and the players have a lot of meetings? Seems like Patch is quick to point some changes that he thought needed to be implemented

Again, at no point does he specify it being a sad/upsetting/disappointing day for the players. He deliberately mentions that the players are feeling different emotions - probably because there's a decent portion who are pleased or relieved potentially.

I thought it was more interesting on who Patch asked for comment.
You’re never going to get much from 19 year old kids in a group setting like that.
Was it deliberate he didn’t ask the leaders or more experienced players?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did noble and the players have a lot of meetings? Seems like Patch is quick to point some changes that he thought needed to be implemented
They may well have done, but the idea is that some blokes will be struggling so you want to give players as much time and space to deal with things as possible. On the training track the physical nature of it all will over ride most of it, as well as being an outlet, but being locked in a room being lectured for an hour would be hellish for some of them right now.

You’re never going to get much from 19 year old kids in a group setting like that.
Was it deliberate he didn’t ask the leaders or not more experienced players?
That was my assumption. Pick the younger players who are confused more than anything to drive home that there is no right or wrong way to think about it right now. Imagine if he asked a 23 year old and he said it was the 3rd senior coach he's seen get kicked to the curb and that he's just f'n sick of it all. Might have derailed tings a bit :p

Souup - I think it's a safe bet to say you don't need to 'read between the lines' on that.

From selection Round 1 (when a few of us fired up re Powell not getting selected) though to JHF not playing in Nobes' farewell game you can take it to the bank that there were issues between Nobes and parts of the playing group. Not normal coach/player ...I want to play here...I want more time there...you'll play where the team needs you...type issues.

Rather there were fundamental issues around leadership - how could certain players be guaranteed a game - a 'loser' game plan and respective roles within that game plan and finally arrogance/authority as in ...I know more than you players ...even though Nobes played far less football than them ie he had no credit in the coaching stakes.

When losses mount then it all falls apart - players are happier now as they can see light at the end of the tunnel - until a few weeks ago it was just a bleak black hole.

Yeh true, find it hard to imagine we'll trot out our new permanent coach anytime soon but who knows.

But your real time comment is the key. If the journos claiming the relationships had got to a point action had to be taken were way off base I'd have thought there would be some form of rebuttal filtering through.
Most likely the new coach will be announced just after Walsh's review is complete and executed...

Maybe, or perhaps Walsh is providing interim details (which is common in these situations) and then Sonja had a chat to Nobes about it and they decided not to wait for the inevitable.

I suspect it has been a very taxing time on him personally and if it is going to happen in a few weeks anyway then may as well call it and go back to Queensland and be with the family.

Was it deliberate he didn’t ask the leaders or more experienced players?
They were front and center weren't they (I watched it a few hours ago)? May have been as simple as that.

Firstly I just want to say that I think Nobes seems like he could be a great operator. I can't help but like what I saw of him and I truly hope he has massive success in the future and that his family enjoy spending time without the madhouse of AFL.

But I don't need there to be claims of issues going on in the background or rumours of staff and player discontent to believe that his departure was needed.

I was actually OK this year even if we went backwards in the win loss, but not percentage... Not competitiveness. And no so damned drastically. Who is responsible for that? Some of that surely lies on the players leadership group and the captain as well, but all players are accountable to the coach at the end of the day.

What were his mistakes? I don't really pretend to know - all I know is that he couldn't get the group to perform, and that is the job.

While I'm glad he's not excommunicated from the industry, I can't help but see the irony that he essentially failed our internal review and now he's the guy running one for another club.
I hope most people understand what he did for us, might have a worse coaching record then neeld but he left the place in good steed.

I think most people within the industry get it.

While I'm glad he's not excommunicated from the industry, I can't help but see the irony that he essentially failed our internal review and now he's the guy running one for another club.
Copy and paste. Global search and replace.

Spell check.

$50k in a day.

Also not bad being paid out by us til the end of this year on a senior coach's salary and now getting another gig which would also pay well. Especially when you've presided over a series of the worst inside-50 differentials and lowest inside-50 counts in AFL history. And especially when the caretaker coach comes in and immediately improves both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back