Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, I'm not forecasting at all just agreeing with the sentiment that the list direction is unadulterated rebuild.

You don't trade out Shaun Higgins if you hold any aim of maximising your short term ladder position.
Yeah, without actually tanking, letting BBB and Higgins go will help make sure we're not accidentally too good.

Three most important blokes responsible for our next flag IMO. Confident history will remember them well.

No disrespect to former/current players and coaches, but the desire for success hasn't been there.

Since Denis left, the club has had a culture of "good enough", not anymore.

Pumped.

Yeah, without actually tanking, letting BBB and Higgins go will help make sure we're not accidentally too good.

I have started to feel like the bit in Moneyball where Billy Beane trades the first baseman, can't play a player you don't have.

I get the need to look at the totality of trade eon. I still think in a world where a giraffe who can't stay on the park was offered 2 firsts last year we got unders from Melbourne.

Cest la vie and all that.

Very excited by this announcement. No air of false confidence of bravado here. Ready to shape the list according to his vision. The fact that so many in the industry are applauding this decision can't hurt and will be interesting to see who the assistant coaches brought in over the next week or so. Also will be fascinated to see in what capacity Roos will continue to work with the club and specifically Noble moving forward.

David Noble Press Conference
North Melbourne powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer hit back at Wayne Carey comments
Powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer have rubbished claims the embattled club is an “absolute shambles” and detailed their plan to rebuild North Melbourne in an exclusive interview with Mark Robinson.
Mark Robinson, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

MR: Arch, the belief is Brad Scott said ‘we need to rebuild’ early in 2019, but the club said ‘no we don’t’.

GA: No, he said that in 2016, and that’s when the rebuild was supposed to start, but the rebuild wasn’t a rebuild.

Seriously mate, do you just purposely ignore everything that contradicts your narrative, or do you actually not read this s***?
It did start in 2016 but was a half arsed effort.
It has taken until now for the club to swallow our medicine whole.
Regardless, we are benefiting now from the half arsed effort in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comments re. a couple of in depth conversations with Roos around skillset requirements for the gig early on in the process - would hope that others who threw their hat in the ring had the same opportunity otherwise it'll be pegged as a sham process again.

Really happy overall, except one aspect that raised concerns for me was re him not taking main training sessions? I’m not sure that is great

Really happy overall, except one aspect that raised concerns for me was re him not taking main training sessions? I’m not sure that is great

Whats your concern?

This is the Fagan model.

He even prefaced that by saying he wanted some experienced assistants to compliment John Blakey to implement his message and do the heavy lifting.

Whats your concern?

This is the Fagan model.

He even prefaced that by saying he wanted some experienced assistants to compliment John Blakey to implement his message and do the heavy lifting.
‘Do the heavy lifting’ you say... I think that’s the coaches responsibility not the assistants.

‘Do the heavy lifting’ you say... I think that’s the coaches responsibility not the assistants.

Nope. It's really not.

An AFL coach has to be across 50 other things that an assistant coach doesn't. Tactics, List Management, Media, Sponsors, Player Relationships, Medical etc.

He will design the training sessions, the pre-season programmes around tactics and gamestyle etc.

It doesn't mean he has to be the one putting the cones out and telling a player off for missing a handball.

What do you think the assistant coaches roles are then? Just line meetings and support in the box?

John Blakey has been a coach in the AFL system far longer than Noble, what if the best person to conduct training is Blakey and not Noble anyway?

This isn't to say he will never set foot on the field for training, but this is extremely common throughout other sports. Training is mainly handled by managers assistants in Soccer and generally they follow the same manager from club to club as their offsider.

Last edited:
Yeah a control freak coach would want to run every training session rather than delegate responsibility to assistant coaches, making them feel valued and empowered. I've been told in NBA assistant coaches at the Spurs for example are given teams they have to scout for the year and its their responsiblity to present the gameplan against those assigned teams when those teams are on the schedule, so delegation isn't a bad thing, it helps your assistants grow as coaches which is what any organisation should be doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back