Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Words cannot describe how sick in the guts this makes me feel.

View attachment 1114874

How did things ever get to this point? We used to export OUR CULTURE to other clubs!!!!!

So what does that mean for our Shinboner Spirit?? Is it doomed to folklore or will it be reborn as a patchwork quilt of every other clubs mantra??

So what does that mean for our Shinboner Spirit?? Is it doomed to folklore or will it be reborn as a patchwork quilt of every other clubs mantra??

We have applied a franchise culture now.

The moment we started talking about it and our club as a 'brand' and jumped onboard the corporate euphemisms, it was gone but for a few vestiges in some of our older players.

The moment we started talking about it and our club as a 'brand' and jumped onboard the corporate euphemisms, it was gone but for a few vestiges in some of our older players.

Come on down JB!!!!

The post 2007 boards did rectify the club financials, but they have been poor as an actual football board.

I suspect that we have the most ex-players on our staff when compared to other clubs.

The three people in charge of football operations are all ex players. Those three aggressively pursued all of the qualified ex-players to coach the side and were turned down. We also have Blakey, Adams, Harvey, Crocker and Firrito as assistants. I’m really not sure what else people are expecting to be done.

I suspect that we have the most ex-players on our staff when compared to other clubs.

The three people in charge of football operations are all ex players. Those three aggressively pursued all of the qualified ex-players to coach the side and were turned down. We also have Blakey, Adams, Harvey, Crocker and Firrito as assistants. I’m really not sure what else people are expecting to be done.
no no no, they don't count anymore, snake said so

Agree. Without getting too harsh on specific people (who may be great operators) Blakey I'll wear because he has spent as long outside our system as inside. Harvey has more experience than any player in the history of the league and a very, very sharp football brain - again I'll wear that. Rawlings isn't on your list but could go into that category and I'm willing to say he has earned his chops in other environments. Outside of that it is fair to question whether we have too many ex players given our recent history as a not quite good enough team.

Of course, the flip side is that maybe having ex players is buying us a discount on services - and more passion - than we could get on the open market.

Either way it is something to watch, you do need new blood and the right minds.

Words cannot describe how sick in the guts this makes me feel.

View attachment 1114874

How did things ever get to this point? We used to export OUR CULTURE to other clubs!!!!!
We lost our unique Spartan culture under Brad and thank goodness there is a realisation of that with the current admin as they try to reclaim it. A good part of Roos success at Sydney was due to the influence of Blakes, Horse and Fruity, he freely admits this aspect.

We lost our unique Spartan culture under Brad and thank goodness there is a realisation of that with the current admin as they try to reclaim it. A good part of Roos success at Sydney was due to the influence of Blakes, Horse and Fruity, he freely admits this aspect.

I haven't seen any trace of Spartan culture since the latter half of 2019. I don't see how getting flogged by 50-120 points every week is going to reinvigorate a Spartan culture, unless we're taking it by its literal meaning and depriving our players of medical and VFL resourcing.

I haven't seen any trace of Spartan culture since the latter half of 2019. I don't see how getting flogged by 50-120 points every week is going to reinvigorate a Spartan culture, unless we're taking it by its literal meaning and depriving our players of medical and VFL resourcing.

Spartan culture as in "extinct"

It's about mind set, shinboner spirit and what we stand for.
I'm absolutely happy with the young brigade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compromised drafts have had a say in it, and the team was in contention during that period.

I don't see too much wrong with the drafting, and I certainly believe it is overplayed as a deflection for the list management.

Look overall you have a point re: compromised drafts but the period of 2013 to 2018 netted us very few players still on the list, in my opinion you have to say drafting is a part of it. Balancing the books was a pretty important thing but in the laidley years where it was ultimately prevalent you could argue that the shinboner spirit was at its zenith. I maintain we never should have extended scott when we did, i understand why but it was a gamble that did not pay off. Now we are copping it.

I think the Scott regime was a massive part of eradicating the shinboner spirit. I get his POV was that if we won games we won them because we played well not because of the SS but his disdain for the term caused a rejection of the ethos.

Delisting Boomer, Spud , Drew and to a waaay lesser extent NDS was in retrospect a big part of eradicating the last bastions of that, to be honest I was ok with those delistings at the time but I see now Boomer/Spud/Drew were integral to that.

However, the delistings of last year are different. I doubt we’d be much better if we had any combination of the 11 delistings at AFL level (perhaps our VFL side would be better) but largely I think the injury list (any the players on that list) is dictating our fortunes at that level, I do think the top up players are not up to snuff however.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FWIW I've seen it in our first three draftee's from last year. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Look overall you have a point re: compromised drafts but the period of 2013 to 2018 netted us very few players still on the list, in my opinion you have to say drafting is a part of it. Balancing the books was a pretty important thing but in the laidley years where it was ultimately prevalent you could argue that the shinboner spirit was at its zenith. I maintain we never should have extended scott when we did, i understand why but it was a gamble that did not pay off. Now we are copping it.

I think the Scott regime was a massive part of eradicating the shinboner spirit. I get his POV was that if we won games we won them because we played well not because of the SS but his disdain for the term caused a rejection of the ethos.

Delisting Boomer, Spud , Drew and to a waaay lesser extent NDS was in retrospect a big part of eradicating the last bastions of that, to be honest I was ok with those delistings at the time but I see now Boomer/Spud/Drew were integral to that.

However, the delistings of last year are different. I doubt we’d be much better if we had any combination of the 11 delistings at AFL level (perhaps our VFL side would be better) but largely I think the injury list (any the players on that list) is dictating our fortunes at that level, I do think the top up players are not up to snuff however.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Noice post.

FWIW I concur with all but thought Boomer should have been given another year. In my opinion he wasn't done and wasn't holding up development for kids coming thru.

I was for the Boomer delisting too, but with the expectation we had someone to replace him.

Unfortunately, we didn't. And we haven't since.

How many times did Boomer pounce on a Daw or Petrie dropped mark? How often have our current players done so with Campbell and Larkey?

Even taking his defensive deficiencies into consideration, there's still the flair and elite disposal we would've benefited from.

Crikey, Boomer didn’t get a contract renewal back in 2016!!. It’s 2021 now. Move on.

Personally I'm still a bit bitter about it. More accurately I have become bitter about the 2016 culling as the years have gone on. It should have signified a rebuild, instead we went half and half and ended up in the middle of nowhere for a few years before dropping like a lead balloon down the ladder and now we have to pay twice the price to dig ourselves out. I don't even care too much about whose fault it is, the blame game is more or less useless because we'll never know for sure who said or decided what, but * me if the absolute wasting of the last half a decade hasn't royally ****ed us. It's good that at the very least Boomer didn't let those failures ruin his relationship with the club.

Bleh.

It's all about how we go about remedying the situation now though. The admin and footy department have some work to do. We have to start spending cash again and create a good environment to develop in. Medical/conditioning/development staff and practises need the most thorough and ruthless of toothcombs taken to them. * a priority pick, the AFL can pay for Darren Burgess or someone of his ilk to come over to us for 3 years, much like what they did with Paul Roos at Melbourne. Rebuilds aren't all about the picks you use, as Carlton and Melbourne have made abundantly clear over the decades, and if equalisation is about fixing the clear deficiencies of the least competitive clubs then that's where we probably need help the most. Either that or they can strip Caro and Damo of their AFL accreditations. Maybe without the incessant doomposting about our club's future we might be able to attract more fans and sponsors (AKA Cash).

Personally I'm still a bit bitter about it. More accurately I have become bitter about the 2016 culling as the years have gone on. It should have signified a rebuild, instead we went half and half and ended up in the middle of nowhere for a few years before dropping like a lead balloon down the ladder and now we have to pay twice the price to dig ourselves out. I don't even care too much about whose fault it is, the blame game is more or less useless because we'll never know for sure who said or decided what, but fu** me if the absolute wasting of the last half a decade hasn't royally f’ed us. It's good that at the very least Boomer didn't let those failures ruin his relationship with the club.

Bleh.

It's all about how we go about remedying the situation now though. The admin and footy department have some work to do. We have to start spending cash again and create a good environment to develop in. Medical/conditioning/development staff and practises need the most thorough and ruthless of toothcombs taken to them. fu** a priority pick, the AFL can pay for Darren Burgess or someone of his ilk to come over to us for 3 years, much like what they did with Paul Roos at Melbourne. Rebuilds aren't all about the picks you use, as Carlton and Melbourne have made abundantly clear over the decades, and if equalisation is about fixing the clear deficiencies of the least competitive clubs then that's where we probably need help the most. Either that or they can strip Caro and Damo of their AFL accreditations. Maybe without the incessant doomposting about our club's future we might be able to attract more fans and sponsors (AKA Cash).

The great cull should have lead to a rebuild with a new coach. We didn’t and here we are. As a club we got a little moist with a good win here and there, a 9th-12th finish, let the list fester until it became a lost cause. Now we have to start over. It’s been a wasted 4 years.

I’m just glad that Noble, Rawlings and co will hold their nerve.

The great cull should have lead to a rebuild with a new coach. We didn’t and here we are. As a club we got a little moist with a good win here and there, a 9th-12th finish, let the list fester until it became a lost cause. Now we have to start over. It’s been a wasted 4 years.

I’m just glad that Noble, Rawlings and co will hold their nerve.

It's more than that though. It's not just 4 years wasted in isolation. Jack, Cunners, Goldy, Taz etc are all 4 years closer to the end than they should have been. If we did the job properly the first time around they would have been high level contributors as we were peaking again. But now we're faced with the prospect of probably having to phase many (most?) of those guys out of the squad and replacing them with ???.

Thats where a lot of my personal angst comes from. Those guys will almost definately miss out on success, which is bad enough, but now we're also faced with having to start trying and replace them in the middle of the rebuild rather than after we've pulled it off which is a much harder task.

Last edited:
It's more than that though. It's not just 4 years wasted in isolation. Jack, Cunners, Goldy, Taz etc are all 4 years closer to the end than they should have been. If we did the job properly the first time around they would have been high level contributors as we were peaking again. But now we're faced with the prospect of probably having to phase many (most?) of those guys out of the squad and replacing them with ???.

Thats where a lot of my personal angst comes from. Those guys will almost definately miss out on success, which is bad enough, but now we're also faced with having to start trying and replace them in the middle of the rebuild rather than after we've pulled it off which is a much harder task.

I guess the point is, the people who were responsible from a footy department perspective, have been removed from the club. The majority of supporters still think it was a poorly executed decision/s (one of many by the previous footy dept.), however Noble/Brady/Luff are the ones cleaning up the mess. Hence why I’m pretty keen on cutting them getting some slack and giving them time to sort this sh**.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back