Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the reason why Patch has an extended role at the club.

As I said at the time, Patch's addresses to the group in the Essendon VFL win were fascinating.

Calm, composed and simply said trust the process. It is working here. Trust our plan and each other and we will get the win here.

He doesn't support the club.

The bloke;

1) Isn't a member
2) Doesn't attend games
3) Has harrassed/abused players
4) Has harrassed/abused coaches
5) Has harrassed/abused staff

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he's not a member is because the club cancelled his membership due to his antics.
Thinks the supporters and admin are in on some conspiracy. To install...something.

There isn't one thing he likes about the football club. Just * off, snake.

As I said at the time, Patch's addresses to the group in the Essendon VFL win were fascinating.

Calm, composed and simply said trust the process. It is working here. Trust our plan and each other and we will get the win here.
Patch is very highly rated as a coach. Knows his s**t and can communicate it.

It doesn't have to a traditional stay at home forward that only plays close to goal. Too many times when we push all our numbers back we are left with no options to kick to in an attacking sense once we regain possession. We also have to work around the two spare defenders the opposition have sitting in space. That tends to force us to hold up the ball as we wait to get numbers forward which allows the opposition to flood back or the other option is to bite off the riskier attacking kick which can pay off but, as we have seen this year on numerous occasions, tends to result in a dangerous turnover. Also by sprinting back to defence and then having to run forward to try to present as an option blokes like Larkey and Zurhaar are half-knackered by the time they are competing for the ball. It also means the forwards aren't leading at the ball carrier but are trying to run back into space with the ball needing to be precisely delivered. Better fitness and work rate may help to make this a more effective tactic.

Why not try keeping someone forward? It would at least give us an option to kick to as well as making the spare opposition defenders decide whether to just zone off and block space or to defend one on one. It doesn't have to be a long bombs to Snake scenario, though this may work at times depending on the matchup and the positioning of the players at the time. The forward could play a defensive role or as a decoy that tries to drag one of the spares out of position. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this start to be used as the list continues to develop and the team gets better at playing different roles under Noble.

Mordy, you don't think anyone is actually calling for a Tony Lockett type full forward in 2021, do you mate?

It's about maintaining some type of a threatening tall forward structure at the back of the press, to take pressure relieving marks, counter thrust marks, and for the crumbers to run on to................and dare I say it............to give us a tall long option down the line.

Nick Larkey vs 2 defenders isn't going to cut it mate.

I stated that 'stay at home' wasn't the action I was advocating. It's a false dichotomy to suggest that just because I don't think our FF is best placed in the defensive structure at CHB that therefore I want him staying at home in the goal square. There's what, a good 150+m of spectrum there?

When I addressed this first comment originally (when someone far more politely made the same point you made), I simply advocated stretching the structure by another short kick or so toward the forward half. As Melbourne, the Bulldogs and various other teams do. It's a slight adjustment but allows us to come AT the ball carrier rather than running back with the flight and having to hold play up.

Having two is better than one, because while one is in the contest, the other can hook back at him. We don't have two, which sucks, but we simply aren't going to score much with such a tight press. It guarantees repeat entries and turnovers.

look at the work of English and Naughton in this clip. They are on either side of the ground to start with and motor back to be the last option of the play. Larkey should be doing similar. Both these guys for the dogs ran up and down the corridor depending on whether they were attacking or defending all game. I am not sure if Larkey is capable of this type of running yet but this should be the goal. Be part of attacks in motion from beginning to end.

See I think that stat is misleading and again reflective of the midfield. The fact the opposition get so many shots on goal from their inside 50s is the ease in which it comes in. Opposition mids have so much time and space streaming into our defence that they are more than likely to pick out a forward in space. Our defenders have done a pretty good job considering the ease in which it comes in. On the flip side our mids aren’t running hard enough forward to get themselves in space and take the right option but rather it’s a rushed kick forward giving the forwards no real chance. I am not sure where north ranks in the comp for midfield pressure but I reckon we would be last.
Our midfielders pushing hard into the opposition's forward line to crowd and give our defenders a chop out, is another reason why only fast twitch muscle players should be taking centre bounces. Cunners should be the only exception because of his elite hands. We're definitely a Club that's failed to grasp 666.

look at the work of English and Naughton in this clip. They are on either side of the ground to start with and motor back to be the last option of the play. Larkey should be doing similar. Both these guys for the dogs ran up and down the corridor depending on whether they were attacking or defending all game.

The rather small issue of the current bulldogs midfield vs the current North midfield doesn't factor in this?

I am all for the congested D50 stuff. We did that a lot with Brad and Shaw too.

But where the structures need to be addressed is where we get our outlet from. We need to have an option ready to pounce on the exit kick and there needs to be another guy ready to run forward once the ball is on its way through the corridor. If there isn't movement and blokes are jogging, it simply won't work.

The rather small issue of the current bulldogs midfield vs the current North midfield doesn't factor in this?

OK then this is just "is vs ought". You're talking about the here and now which is fine. Our current side has very apparent limitations but I'm all about playing to where we ought to be. I hope the coaching group is the same - don't paper over the cracks, demand more of everyone. We need to be raising our standards not playing within them forever and always.

I take your point though - Larkey is not there yet. Do we just accept that?

look at the work of English and Naughton in this clip. They are on either side of the ground to start with and motor back to be the last option of the play. Larkey should be doing similar. Both these guys for the dogs ran up and down the corridor depending on whether they were attacking or defending all game. I am not sure if Larkey is capable of this type of running yet but this should be the goal. Be part of attacks in motion from beginning to end.

Their forward-most player is a good 20m ahead of where our forward-most player was in the LDU-Larkey clip...despite us having the ball about 10-15m closer to goal at the same point in time. Which is kind of my point. It's a small difference but it means, they have one bloke at all times a kick ahead of the play.

Also note that's their structure when moving slowly up the wings, we are holding a *more* defensively weighted structure while trying to burst quickly through the corridor. The main benefit of moving through the corridor is being able to get one on ones and to hit leading blokes in front.

Last edited:
Pretty good comparison of what i believe noble is trying to do watching the Adelaide/Nicks model against Richmond currently.

Quick ball use, running in numbers, using the corridor when possible.

Adelaide are a lot better at holding their positions from a forward perspective, resulting in genuine one-in-ones for the forwards.

Also they’re clearly a lot fitter then us, so are able to maintain pressure around the ball & provide repeat options.

I think things would be remarkably different if we had a Jeremy Cameron type running around our forward line.
Tbh I've written off this season and next in terms of doing anything.

Come 2023 however my expectation is we are in finals contention.

That's when I'll start really hammering Noble and his gameplan.

Optimistic 2023

Look at the Tigers

Pretty good comparison of what i believe noble is trying to do watching the Adelaide/Nicks model against Richmond currently.

Quick ball use, running in numbers, using the corridor when possible.

Adelaide are a lot better at holding their positions from a forward perspective, resulting in genuine one-in-ones for the forwards.

Also they’re clearly a lot fitter then us, so are able to maintain pressure around the ball & provide repeat options.
And better KPP depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, but they also have an extra year of development under the Nicks game plan.

I rate Nicks highly, he hasn’t tried to smooth over cracks and play a style that blankets his players inefficiencies.
I would not be surprised in the slightest if our trajectory next year is similar. They just started a year earlier than us and didn't get as deep in the list cuts.

I don't think it's been pointed out yet, but early in the year Noble found out that the young team he inherited didn't have the tank to play his gameplan and also run back to defend the opposing side.

What we've seen since then is a training wheels version of the gameplan with our main focus shifting towards being competitive for four quarters. This meant that we couldn't stream forward as aggressively, as it often resulted in us being abused on the turnover for an easy goal.

1622358399627.png

Scenes like the above where it was a 2 on 5 running back were far too common the first month of the season, which is why the gameplan was tweaked to be more defensive. Since then our movement forward has been uninspiring, but Noble is of the belief that our combination of poor skills and poor running power necessitates keeping a numbers advantage behind the ball.

Since then we have more or less been consistently competitive, but at the expense of clean movement forward of the ball. He still has the players going into the corridor at all costs, likely to generate the instincts required to pull off his gameplan in a few years, but we don't have that next kick anymore since we now have the added defensive focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back