Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

So it sounds like in the VFL the team needs X to be more Ruck than forward, but Nobes wants him doing more forward stuff??
But in the AFL he needs to be predominantly a forward?

All I pray for is that whatever logic has led to this impossible situation for Tristan, that it was explained clearly to him and he's on board. Noble doesn't strike me as the type to not do that.

All I pray for is that whatever logic has led to this impossible situation for Tristan, that it was explained clearly to him and he's on board. Noble doesn't strike me as the type to not do that.

He seems fine.

I have no doubt that the coaches have been extremely clear with him around what he has to do. Ruckman take time to get their position (Matthew Flynn at GWS for example has had to wait till 2021, after being drafted in 2015 to get his spot) which is only amplified when the club has one of the elite rucks in the competition.

For me, the Xerri situation comes down to 3 things:
- Xerri's forward craft needs work, with him unable to really work on it at VFL level due to being the only ruck
- TC's form been good plus his leadership & senior presence, we want to reward X's form but equally we shouldn't be punishing TC
- They can't/won't play 3 genuine ruckman, I imagine we'd be burnt even worse on the spread

He seems fine.

I have no doubt that the coaches have been extremely clear with him around what he has to do. Ruckman take time to get their position (Matthew Flynn at GWS for example has had to wait till 2021, after being drafted in 2015 to get his spot) which is only amplified when the club has one of the elite rucks in the competition.

- Xerri's forward craft needs work, with him unable to really work on it at VFL level due to being the only ruck
- TC's form been good plus his leadership & senior presence, we want to reward X's form but equally we shouldn't be punishing TC
- They can't/won't play 3 genuine ruckman, I imagine we'd be burnt even worse on the spread

The devil on my shoulder wonders whether a Goldstein suspension last week might have been a useful experiment for us...

???

I reckon it has more to do with Nobles game plan having a maximum number of talls set where it is.

He only brought in Campbell when it became bleeding obvious that the side needed more structure

???

I reckon it has more to do with Nobles game plan having a maximum number of talls set where it is.

He only brought in Campbell when it became bleeding obvious that the side needed more structure

Maybe, seems a stretch to me although tough to know with the level of injuries how much is forced and how much is gameplan. FWIW with Tarrant back I'd happily drop Walker for Xerri and keep Campbell. I think that would be a net benefit to the team structure and Walker could cover at VFL level...

???

It's really all speculation. Looking at Brisbane, they played 2 key forwards (McStay now Daniher & Hipwood) & 2 rucks (Big O & Martin) under Noble/Fagan, so I assume we'd do the same if we had another KPF.

Maybe, seems a stretch to me although tough to know with the level of injuries how much is forced and how much is gameplan. FWIW with Tarrant back I'd happily drop Walker for Xerri and keep Campbell. I think that would be a net benefit to the team structure and Walker could cover at VFL level...

Tristan (& us) will know more about where he sits in the picture once Tazz returns, than any other factor I can see.

Fortunately, he's contracted until the end of 2022, and I do believe he's in the clubs future plans.

???

Campbell came in in round four.

One game after Walker went back to cover for Corr's injury.

It's OK to play this way though, because the short kicking + attempted corridor is going to be a key plank of the game plan for the next 5+ years.

The issue is having no aerial presence because the current forward personnel is physically not up to it.

So when that comes, through draft/trade/maybe Xerri and/or Comben can come on, I don't know - suddenly the short kicking + attempted corridor becomes wildly more effective because teams will be split between whether to defend that or the air, plus there are multiple ways of getting forward.

And when it happens, the team already has a running start with how to play the harder part of the game plan with precision disposal rather than starting from scratch there. Whenever the improvement happens, whether it's 12/18/24 months, it'll come quickly - it's just getting to that part feels like having a root canal every week.

This post needs to be cut and pasted into every other thread on a weekly basis - until the end of season 2021. My son was trying to explain this exact point to me over the weekend while I was in one of my irrational, blinkered gameday rants.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He seems fine.

Xerri’s forward craft would be streets ahead of Campbell’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xerri’s forward craft would be streets ahead of Campbell’s.
I'm not ready to agree with that just yet, probably more on exposed form than anything else.

That being said, I'd love to see him have a run whilst he is up an about. I read somewhere on here, can't remember the thread, that it's important to have him performing well in the twos for developing midfielders. I think that Campbell is more than adequate for that task.
Covid lockdown, and the bye, couldn't have come at a worse time for this blokes development.

Surely we don’t keep Xerri in the VFL just to benefit midfielders there.

Forget about the ages of players, TC has rucked ok and kicked goals in the AFL. That’s why Xerri is in the VFL.

He had a drop off in the last game, this might be Xerri’s opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surely we don’t keep Xerri in the VFL just to benefit midfielders there.

Forget about the ages of players, TC has rucked ok and kicked goals in the AFL. That’s why Xerri is in the VFL.

He had a drop off in the last game, this might be Xerri’s opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t think worrying if our vfl side has a ruck would come before selection for the AFL side.

Don’t think worrying if our vfl side has a ruck would come before selection for the AFL side.

It already has. The comments made by the coach were that they need to see a body of work on his forward craft for him to get a gig in the AFL side. He is not being allowed to work on that in the VFL because we have no other ruck there.

It already has. The comments made by the coach were that they need to see a body of work on his forward craft for him to get a gig in the AFL side. He is not being allowed to work on that in the VFL because we have no other ruck there.

Guess he has to work on his forward craft in the AFL then because he well and truly won’t be able to in vfl side.

It's OK to play this way though, because the short kicking + attempted corridor is going to be a key plank of the game plan for the next 5+ years.

The issue is having no aerial presence because the current forward personnel is physically not up to it.

So when that comes, through draft/trade/maybe Xerri and/or Comben can come on, I don't know - suddenly the short kicking + attempted corridor becomes wildly more effective because teams will be split between whether to defend that or the air, plus there are multiple ways of getting forward.

And when it happens, the team already has a running start with how to play the harder part of the game plan with precision disposal rather than starting from scratch there. Whenever the improvement happens, whether it's 12/18/24 months, it'll come quickly - it's just getting to that part feels like having a root canal every week.

The other part of this equation is Noble would have been expecting our backline to be intercept marking and defending higher up the ground on a more regular basis.

Win the ball back in the fatter parts of the ground and then McDonald and Hall suddenly become weapons and for that matter, so do guys like Stephenson and Thomas if they are next in the chain at HB or wing.

Yes, they need a CHF and lead up forward but as it stands we are getting deep in the backline and giving the opposition repeat entries biting off ambitious kicks and telegraphing passes. When we aren't doing that, we just have the long Ziebell kick with little down the line marking or crumbing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back