Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tef posts a variety of stuff like everyone else albeit he's more polarising than most.

However what you say is ac(c)urate. Tef talking up Noble in retrospect is either ironic, false or an indication it's a fake account.

Yeah I remember you questioned one of his thoughts just recently, firstly well done for doing it as many wouldn't. His answer was absolute garbage, but that I can live with.

Him accusing me of lying time and time again is my greatest issue with Bakers.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kingy preaches the importance in "Knowing where you're at".

This is an area that our two previous coaches had trouble with. A lot has been said about Scott's "rebuild". Shaw then got up and claimed he wanted to "play finals" at the Syd Barker after being appointed, before a 3-15 season.

From what we've seen this year, David Noble has a much clearer perspective.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

This is an area that our two previous coaches had trouble with. A lot has been said about Scott's "rebuild". Shaw then got up and claimed he wanted to "play finals" at the Syd Barker after being appointed, before a 3-15 season.

To be fair the board/management probably set him a clearer path.

Rhyce's overachievement as interim coach probably muddied the waters as to what his aims for 2020 were.

Brad is exactly as you say though. Just catching whatever winds were going past to sail for nowhere in particular.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be fair the board/management probably set him a clearer path.

Rhyce's overachievement as interim coach probably muddied the waters as to what his aims for 2020 were.

Brad is exactly as you say though. Just catching whatever winds were going past to sail for nowhere in particular.

All fair points KC - I do have faith that given Noble's experience, he'd be able to have de-muddied the waters if he took over end of 2019.

The point of my post was less about digging the heels into the two previous guys, and more about the benefits of having someone that has a clear view of "where your at".

Proof of this can be seen through the usage of the VFL.

Players are having to earn their way back in (the only one who have not done this are LMac and Cunners, so a VC and the soul of the side)

everyone else is having to go through the VFL.

Teams don't win flags. Clubs do. Carey said this from the dais in 99. it is not a team thing it is a whole of club thing.

it seems this is what Noble et al get. Everyone has a role and everone has to be willing to play that role as best they can.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
All fair points KC - I do have faith that given Noble's experience, he'd be able to have de-muddied the waters if he took over end of 2019.

The point of my post was less about digging the heels into the two previous guys, and more about the benefits of having someone that has a clear view of "where your at".

Agree. I'm probably just viewing it as the collective "knowing where they're at" rather than a senior coach in isolation.

Whether I agree with all individual actions of note, there has been a stronger sense cohesion between list management-football management-coaching/selection this year. That suggests a clearer vision from top down at the club.

reckon they got caught napping in 19 by far too many people and they know it.

This. The 2015-2018 list management process was akin to one of those old oddballs flinging around a room. Even the senior players seemed confused and aggravated as to what our direction was late into each year. Probably because we didn't really know either.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

spot on, in two senses - absolutely, Noble's strategy is clear and correct, but also, I rate King as an analyst - in a competition where recruitment is regulated, as he points out, the cardinal football department skill is list assessment relative to the rest; get that wrong - like Carlton did when they shunted Ratten for the Malthouse/Daisy Thomas combination - and it's years in the wilderness

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
spot on, in two senses - absolutely, Noble's strategy is clear and correct, but also, I rate King as an analyst - in a competition where recruitment is regulated, as he points out, the cardinal football department skill is list assessment relative to the rest; get that wrong - like Carlton did when they shunted Ratten for the Malthouse/Daisy Thomas combination - and it's years in the wilderness
The best thing we did was bare bones the list, sure we might got another win or two Pittard, JMac and co playing but we certainly wouldn’t have seen the rise in the kids that we now see..

They’ve taken ownership of their own fortunes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know the mighty giantroo has done his usual brilliant work editing David King's tribute to Tarryn Thomas, but I reckon a shout out to Joey Montagna for the point he makes about David Noble's trust in the team he's building is worth a mention too. How's this for a centre bounce set up, with the opposition on a roll, the game on the line, and fifteen minutes to go. I don't think there's many of us at the start of the year who would have selected this centre square mix to roll back the tide in a game - Goldy, Cunners, Jed, maybe Jy, but not this four. Anybody who doesn't rate where our club is headed doesn't know the game
PS - could have added Curtis on one wing, and Bailey on the other, for good measure

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 2.44.19 pm.png

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know the mighty giantroo has done his usual brilliant work editing David King's tribute to Tarryn Thomas, but I reckon a shout out to Joey Montagna for the point he makes about David Noble's trust in the team he's building is worth a mention too. How's this for a centre bounce set up, with the opposition on a roll, the game on the line, and fifteen minutes to go. I don't think there's many of us at the start of the year who would have selected this centre square mix to roll back the tide in a game - Goldy, Cunners, Jed, maybe Jy, but not this four. Anybody who doesn't rate where our club is headed doesn't know the game

View attachment 1178054

Liked that Joey used the example of when Carlton were in a similar position and went with the old heads against Freo and Freo used the younger brigade, saying at the time they thought it would be better for Freo in the long term, which has shown to be the case.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
PS - could have added Curtis on one wing, and Bailey on the other, for good measure

View attachment 1178054
Thus demonstrating here rebuilding and winning are not mutually exclusive.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

View attachment 1178054

Playing devil's advocate - Cunnington would've needed a rest at some point and Goldie was going forward to create mismatches - meaning the above configuration might've been by necessity rather than choice?

Playing devil's advocate - Cunnington would've needed a rest at some point and Goldie was going forward to create mismatches - meaning the above configuration might've been by necessity rather than choice?

It's either choice in game or choice before it.

either way the set up was clearly a scenario that could happen and there was the cojones to play a team where it was always a potential outcome.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Posted 11 weeks ago.
(I know I know, self quoting w***er alert).

Loving your work Nobes.
No problemo. We're all missing Snake and his self quotation, so in the same spirit, I humbly submit the following from the season expectation thread on March 10:

Big turnover of playing and coaching staff and very different ball movement system, which so far has really exposed us on turnovers when it doesn't come off. I expect to take some steps backwards before we go forwards. Reckon there'll be some hidings early on, hopefully abating sooner rather than later. Hopefully 5+ wins, probably mostly in the back half of the season.

May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners

Or we aren’t good at tanking by loading up with inexperience in the guts when the game was on the line. :)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or we aren’t good at tanking by loading up with inexperience in the guts when the game was on the line. :)
It's a fine wager tbh. If they pull it off then you're confirming just how up to the task they are and everyone gets a morale boost, and if they fail then we're closer to number one pick and people temper expectations.

Surely most of us have a different twitter name, i follow giantroo because the man is easy to find and posts great content

Same. That's also the same reason I hang out in the bushes near his house. Nothing suss at all. Just value the content.

West Coast v North Melbourne votes
10 Jaidyn Stephenson
7 Nic Naitanui
7 Jack Ziebell
2 Ben Cunnington
2 Jy Simpkin
2 Cam Zurhaar

My guesses:

View attachment 1177297

I reckon Cam Zurhaar and Cunners both deserved more... but it's pretty hard to argue with those votes. Without Stephenson we're not in that position come start of the 4th (not to mention his 4th quarter goal) and without Naitanui the Cokers would have lost by 5 goals plus IMO.

He could have been thinking "Well that's it - we're farked. I may as well give the kids a shot at a bounce together."

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
party pooper .... anyway, the four young ones have still got to get the job done, no?

Back