Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very happy and rather a little surprised they've already started to compile some data for next year's approach.
of course they have, its the only way to build on a developing team.
drop the players you dont want and look for the traits you think will make you a winning side.
I assume the previous coaches/list managers did a similar thing?

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
  1. Get to 12 wins
  2. Put feet up on couch
  3. Profit.
Are you Disco STU or discodaddy??
1629415271676.png

Very happy and rather a little surprised they've already started to compile some data for next year's approach.
That's very different to the previous approach we are used to - ie wait to see what everyone else is doing and try to adapt by midseason

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Love his honesty, hasn't shied away all year from telling it how it is. After rd 23.
View attachment 1213862

Look, I've been charmed by a silver-tongued coach and a storytelling coach in the recent past.

The thing I like with Noble is there hasn't been any calling a sow's ear a silk purse yet.

I almost braced for last night's press conference expecting "yeh we took it up to the crows" type of rhetoric. There was none of that and it's been the way most of the year. No spinning poor efforts into good efforts nor pumping his player's tyres artificially at coaches votes time.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Just one other thing - I really like Noble dismissing excuses. That used to really annoy me in a differerent era.

He wasn't giving the team an easy out. Finger crossed, when we're a contender under him this mentality will be ingrained in his players - that even if a final is rescheduled at the last minute to be played in Cairns at 2AM Thursay, they still turn up and give their all.

How can you not love the guy? Came in when we were literally rock bottom, implemented a game plan (which is still developing and it’s not going to be finished in a click of a finger), is honest and doesn’t beat around the bush.

Jun 25, 2008
Shisha bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Coaching on emotion alone is not sustainable as Rhyce found out although he had historically unique circumstances to contend with which magnified the deficiencies.

Noble is a sure hand who so far has painted himself as a big picture kind of guy. Interestingly, for somebody who has never been an AFL head coach before this year, he comes across as somebody who has seen it all.

There are two points about him that I feel adds substantial psychological value.

1) His proactivity to bringing Roos onboard officially and publicly as a mentor. This is something I feel leaders usually shy away from - perceivably ceding wisdom to somebody else. I felt this sent a concrete message to the players that no matter where you currently sit, you can still keep learning and improving. There are no egos in this dojo.

2) Yes, we expected Noble to go about building structures and systems throughout the club. He is a ‘stick to the process’ kind of guy after all. However, it seems that a substantial portion of these internal frameworks are actually being built by the players themselves with guidance from him and the other coaches. To use a Shawism, this ensures the players are organically invested.

I can’t help but be impressed by a lot of what Noble has done. Still, we’ve now got a spoon for our troubles this year so he still has plenty to prove. The game plan is only foundational at this stage. I am hoping they can move in the right direction with it from here which may depend a lot on list management strategy too.

If there was a report card, I would give Noble a C+ for his first year only because it’s hard to justify a higher grade having come last in a results driven industry.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'd especially like us to win multiple premierships under David Noble to stick it up people like Ross Lyon and Jaymie Graham who didn't even want to be part of our application process but magically made themselves available for Collingwood/Carlton.

They can gagf.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I'd especially like us to win multiple premierships under David Noble to stick it up people like Ross Lyon and Jaymie Graham who didn't even want to be part of our application process but magically made themselves available for Collingwood/Carlton.

They can gagf.

The game has gone past Lyon. At a rapid rate of knots.

The 6-6-6 rule has ensured that.

They can gagf.

If Lyon had been interested and got it, it would have killed me. I cant stand his voice, his opinions, his approach to football, his moaning whinging crap.

No thanks.

Last edited:

They can gagf.

I thought we interviewed and liked Graham but were wary of a young coach again.

Leppistch maybe who didn't want to talk to us, or Voss?

Back