Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I thought we interviewed and liked Graham but were wary of a young coach again.

Leppistch maybe who didn't want to talk to us, or Voss?

Unfortunately he was doing his hair in 2021:

I remember Voss saying no as well. Or not bothering to apply.

Fair enough, I don't remember it being a snub as such though, like Voss.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Fair enough, I don't remember it being a snub as such though, like Voss.

That's probably true.

But I'd have thought if you want to be an AFL senior coach you take your chance.

If his ties to WA suddenly faded when it was one of the big clubs on the phone, he can go jump.

Apr 28, 2001
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not going to look great on your resume getting knocked back, better off publicly declaring no interest.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I think there was a bit of that going on. The club was happy to let them have a face-saving out to avoid the perception of having missed out multiple times.
Unfortunately assistant coaches seem to get a stench about them if they miss out on a senior spot more than once or twice (see R Harvey).

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I wonder what Noble is learning from the Lions' finals failures over the past couple of years. Obviously played a significant role preparing the club to challenge but they have been unable to get it done at the pointy end of the season. Curious to see how / if that shapes our development trajectory.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder what Noble is learning from the Lions' finals failures over the past couple of years. Obviously played a significant role preparing the club to challenge but they have been unable to get it done at the pointy end of the season. Curious to see how / if that shapes our development trajectory.
They lost by one point to the best team in the comp. yeh, melbourne finished on top but that mutt team is better. Im not sure its a failure to Brisvagas. If they had of come up against GWS or Port I reckon they coast into a prelim

Its a funny one, losing by 1 point and looking well in it throughout doesn't suggest they are doing much wrong. A miskick late and they win.

I would love to be finishing top 4 with a fun list even if we were bowing out. They have some good years ahead so it'll turn.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Nothing he probably didn't already know - that luck is what's leftover after you've given your best.

The Lions' 1-5 finals records (all games bar one at a neutral venue at home) isn't good, but they were eliminated in 2019 by GWS by 3 points and last night by a point.

Might do them good in the long run. In '93 we just about sat in the top 4 all year but got smashed in a final, same in '94 and lost a PF after the siren (with the rough end of the umpiring as the Lions got last night) and in '95 another PF ended in a thrashing. In '96 we won three finals convincingly and took the flag. Sometimes it's just your time.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Nothing he probably didn't already know - that luck is what's leftover after you've given your best.

The Lions' 1-5 finals records (all games bar one at a neutral venue at home) isn't good, but they were eliminated in 2019 by GWS by 3 points and last night by a point.

Might do them good in the long run. In '93 we just about sat in the top 4 all year but got smashed in a final, same in '94 and lost a PF after the siren (with the rough end of the umpiring as the Lions got last night) and in '95 another PF ended in a thrashing. In '96 we won three finals convincingly and took the flag. Sometimes it's just your time.

I reckon they need a bit of a refresh in the middle. Neale, Lyons, Zorko are all in late 20’s early 30’s. Too much left to too few in there maybe.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
If McStay and Hipwood were in last night they'd be in a prelim. They may already be in one. Those two straighten them up massively.

Don't play Footscray?

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Nah McInerney has been their first choice ruck now for the last few seasons.

True. But it wouldn't have mattered who rucked for the Lions. The Dogs need Stefan Martin back badly. Having watched the Bulldogs closely in the last two weeks, I'm fairly sure that you can't win a flag with Lewis Young in the middle more often than not.

Last edited:
My trust in the decision makers just went 2000% hearing that.

Michael Voss (Coach Version) is the Lord Prince of Asshats.
Its interesting that Choco is in that boat, always thought he would be a good coach again

Its interesting that Choco is in that boat, always thought he would be a good coach again
Yeah it's interesting krakouers85 as I was of similar thinking, but just chatting to some ex players that he'd coached and a few "others", made you question a few things. In a nutshell, what is said publicly (media wise) is different to what is said privately. But that happens in every workplace....

Yeah it's interesting krakouers85 as I was of similar thinking, but just chatting to some ex players that he'd coached and a few "others", made you question a few things. In a nutshell, what is said publicly (media wise) is different to what is said privately. But that happens in every workplace....
Its funny due to the fact everywhere he goes as an assistant/manager, they rave about his performance and the change he makes...

Back