Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Playing finals and challenging for the flag imo.

I can honestly see acceptable 2023 results being anything from finishing 10th but having been right in finals contention up until the last round but a young side running out of legs/results not going our way to getting to a prelim after going on a finals run from low in the 8.

I think we saw this year from how the club cut guys like Atley and Dumont that our list managers see our window opening a bit later than the fans do.

Or that they don't think the window ever properly opens with those two on the park.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we saw this year from how the club cut guys like Atley and Dumont that our list managers see our window opening a bit later than the fans do.
Or they just weren't that good and they can finally move them off the list?
What was it 3 guys left from the top 10 bnf in 2019?

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or that they don't think the window ever properly opens with those two on the park.
Maybe. More likely it's the inverse in that we'd be slower in the long run with guys like Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro and Perez etc playing twos (an old criminal taught me that guys develop quicker in the ones). I don't believe that Noble and Brady really thinks Atley and Dumont would have cost us wins in 2022 though, well maybe Atley.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe. More likely it's the inverse in that we'd be slower in the long run with guys like Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro and Perez etc playing twos (an old criminal taught me that guys develop quicker in the ones). I don't believe that Noble and Brady really thinks Atley and Dumont would have cost us wins in 2022 though, well maybe Atley.
Well yeah guys who aren't A graders taking games away from the kids we're trying to play.
I'd dumont and Atley were upto standard then they would have been recontracted or at the very least other teams would have traded them in instead of being delisted.
Glad we've had a fresh set of eyes come in and say what a lot of the fans have been over recent years.

Well yeah guys who aren't A graders taking games away from the kids we're trying to play.
I'd dumont and Atley were upto standard then they would have been recontracted or at the very least other teams would have traded them in instead of being delisted.
Glad we've had a fresh set of eyes come in and say what a lot of the fans have been over recent years.

This is it. That the market is saying the best Frog and Ats can hope for is being a deep back up on the rookie list a la Tom Campbell, then if we'd played in the firsts next year, well, that would have hampered the rebuild.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that we’ve cut reaaaall deep and that will hurt us. I think we can play some good footy in the next two years but don’t expect us to win more than 10 games in a season until 2024.

I don't think the fact that we've cut deep is the reason that we will be light on wins.

Do people actually believe that if we had all of Dumont, Atley, Brown, Pittard, Williams, Wood, Garner, etc. all in our best 22, that we'd not be a bottom 4 side?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I don't think the fact that we've cut deep is the reason that we will be light on wins.

Do people actually believe that if we had all of Dumont, Atley, Brown, Pittard, Williams, Wood, Garner, etc. all in our best 22, that we'd not be a bottom 4 side?

I wouldn't have got rid of 3-4 of that lot but don't think they would've had us pushing past 7-8 at the very best without other significant club/list changes.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

I think experience is important - even if they aren't playing in the 22 every week. Training standards / career professionalism / list depth are all important.

I like that we are going down this path but I also feel like I'm being realistic that losing seasoned bodies will make it hard to challenge good teams.

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Relationships. Relationships. Relationships. Ignore the slightly shithouse video and see the actual work being done by a head coach with his first year players. Nobes will have the boys eating out of his hands when the whips are cracking because of the love and respect that has gone their way.

Wasn't there a certain dual-premiership, ex-North Melbourne Coach that dabbles in training horses that took players out for lunch back in the 1990s and galvanised his relationship with said individuals?

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It'd be weirder if nobes was "good" at making little social media videos. But it is good to see him establishing and maintaining the relationships with players.
Doubly so considering it's the offseason and no one would bat an eye if we didn't see or hear from him until the draft.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Brown at his best may be worth a win or 2. The others, bar Garner, aren't much chop.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sadly some fans seem to think that way.
God forbid you try and cut someone.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think experience is important - even if they aren't playing in the 22 every week. Training standards / career professionalism / list depth are all important.

I like that we are going down this path but I also feel like I'm being realistic that losing seasoned bodies will make it hard to challenge good teams.

By all reports, our training standards were diabolical under Scott/Shaw (with those experienced players).

I understand what you're saying re being realistic & I do agree. I suppose I just challenge how much the list clean out is responsible Vs the overarching fact that we were a poorly run club for some time.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
By all reports, our training standards were diabolical under Scott/Shaw (with those experienced players).

I understand what you're saying re being realistic & I do agree. I suppose I just challenge how much the list clean out is responsible Vs the overarching fact that we were a poorly run club for some time.
No point keeping seasoned bodies just to play 2's. That's pure list clogged.

Besides, we've got a bit in the 1's...Turner, Corr, Hall, Ziebell, J Walker, Cunnington, Goldstein, Anderson, McDonald. McKay is coming up to preseason 7 and Simpkin 6, so I'd count them as seasoned. Bull and Larkey have been around a while too.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No point keeping seasoned bodies just to play 2's. That's pure list clogged.

Besides, we've got a bit in the 1's...Turner, Corr, Hall, Ziebell, J Walker, Cunnington, Goldstein, Anderson, McDonald. McKay is coming up to preseason 7 and Simpkin 6, so I'd count them as seasoned. Bull and Larkey have been around a while too.

I'm also of the view that bringing Dumont in if Cunnington gets injured, or Atley in for Corr etc. wouldn't exactly change our fortunes.

The "benefit" of keeping them as emergency depth is pretty minimal IMO.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I'm also of the view that bringing Dumont in if Cunnington gets injured, or Atley in for Corr etc. wouldn't exactly change our fortunes.

The "benefit" of keeping them as emergency depth is pretty minimal IMO.
Neither of them, as an example, are going to kill you (as long as Shaun doesn't get the ball with 30 secs to go against *)... but nor will they have enough impact to justify keeping them in the 2s at this stage of our build.

In a few years blokes who can slot in and not hurt you will be valuable.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Will be super interested to see who forms the leadership group.

With everything I have said about the benefit of older bodies for professionalism etc - i get a sense that things are a changing at Arden St.

Seeing Jy and LMac out there leading the boys every friday is super impressive.

I know this is better suited for another thread but while we are on the topic I gotta say, I reckon Jy is our captain next year - he wants it, he's leading from the front and the boys look up to him. Hearing Laz talking about him in that podcast sealed it for me.

Brown at his best may be worth a win or 2. The others, bar Garner, aren't much chop.

Fit and firing Garner is best 22. But he's not and won't ever be, hence delisting.

Brown needed to go and it worked perfectly for him and us in that Larkey stepped up to being number 1 banana KPF by end of the season.

Rest nah, there's a reason none got picked up bar Mason, who didn't exactly set the word on fire at St RapeADwarf.

we're too young to be challenging meaningfully.
We might not win one for a year or two afterward. But otherwise what does "Challenge meaningfully" mean? Teams have won flags with young lists. That's about as meaningful as a challenge gets.

For example (according to this) in 2016 the Bulldogs had 29 players under 25, their average age was 23 - 24 years and the average games per player was under 60. I'd say in 2023 we want to play and win finals and ideally if we don't play in the GF we at least play in a prelim. In 2023, if they are still playing, LDU, Sleevo, Bonar, CCJ (maybe Xerri and Hayden) will be in their sixth season at the club. Jy, Souv and Zooha will be in their seventh. TT will be playing his fifth season of footy along with Bailey Scott and Curtis taylor. Buckets Mckay will be playing his eighth. Ideally Cunners, JZ, Jed, LMac, Hall and Goldy will provide some real experience, maybe even Polec.

That is a good combination of talent, hardness, youth and experience.

Back