Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

We might not win one for a year or two afterward. But otherwise what does "Challenge meaningfully" mean? Teams have won flags with young lists. That's about as meaningful as a challenge gets.

For example (according to this) in 2016 the Bulldogs had 29 players under 25, their average age was 23 - 24 years and the average games per player was under 60. I'd say in 2023 we want to play and win finals and ideally if we don't play in the GF we at least play in a prelim. In 2023, if they are still playing, LDU, Sleevo, Bonar, CCJ (maybe Xerri and Hayden) will be in their sixth season at the club. Jy, Souv and Zooha will be in their seventh. TT will be playing his fifth season of footy along with Bailey Scott and Curtis taylor. Buckets Mckay will be playing his eighth. Ideally Cunners, JZ, Jed, LMac, Hall and Goldy will provide some real experience, maybe even Polec.

That is a good combination of talent, hardness, youth and experience.

I just meant that in 2023 I doubt we will be seriously contending for the GF. We might get into the 8 and we may even win a final but I very much doubt we will have the hardened bodies to go deep into Sept.

2016 was universally accepted as a fairy tale for WB and I'm not sure we will be at that point yet. Goldy, Zeebs + Hall will all likely be retired by or at the very end of their careers.

I would love to see us win but I'm just trying to be realistic.

I just meant that in 2023 I doubt we will be seriously contending for the GF. We might get into the 8 and we may even win a final but I very much doubt we will have the hardened bodies to go deep into Sept.

2016 was universally accepted as a fairy tale for WB and I'm not sure we will be at that point yet. Goldy, Zeebs + Hall will all likely be retired by or at the very end of their careers.

Who will be in the 26+ camp? Corr, LMac, Turner, Cunnington, Jed

Nobles big three....

* Injury list- will be fixed via new medical department, Geoff Walsh a big wrap for that Irish dude from Collingwood
* Fitness- will be fixed over time
* lack of game plan- how the fu** did we get to that?

The club needs to become more professional ""

Good job David, you'd make a good poster on BF.
Screenshot 2021-11-03 155228.png

The worst in the competition by some margin

See that's your mistake. This is about footy. Realistic has no place.

In 2023 we might not be condending for a GF but as of now we should be aiming to play in a prelim that year. And it should be on the basis that if we get everything right and we are very lucky we can jag a flag before those guys you mentioned retire. It will be our third season building under Noble around this core of players with his's style and game plans. If we aren't banging on the door loudly by then we are behind scedule if we want to be a dominant side and have our own era.

That's the aim isn't it? Ideally we want to exceed what the 70s and 90s sides did.

See that's your mistake. This is about footy. Realistic has no place.

In 2023 we might not be condending for a GF but as of now we should be aiming to play in a prelim that year. And it should be on the basis that if we get everything right and we are very lucky we can jag a flag before those guys you mentioned retire. It will be our third season building under Noble around this core of players with his's style and game plans. If we aren't banging on the door loudly by then we are behind scedule if we want to be a dominant side and have our own era.

That's the aim isn't it? Ideally we want to exceed what the 70s and 90s sides did.
100%

I won't dare to dream yet but no shade for those who do.

Nobles big three....

* Injury list- will be fixed via new medical department, Geoff Walsh a big wrap for that Irish dude from Collingwood
* Fitness- will be fixed over time
* lack of game plan- how the fu** did we get to that?

The club needs to become more professional ""

Good job David, you'd make a good poster on BF.
Noble wasn't happy with the conditioning and performance of the group when he came in in January. Too late to change anything. Obviously he's rectified that now

I can honestly see acceptable 2023 results being anything from finishing 10th but having been right in finals contention up until the last round but a young side running out of legs/results not going our way to getting to a prelim after going on a finals run from low in the 8.

Next year we will be doing extremely well to pull ourselves out of the bottom 4. Teams just do not seem to bounce from the bottom. Except for a couple of outliers teams who finish bottom remain in the bottom 4 the following year.

Lets say bottom 6 in 2022.
mid 6 in 2023.

I want realy drive toward top 6 beyond that.

As to the fitness thing you said about players buying in to that aspect, I honestly cannot remember having pic in October coming out of the club and the players socials with so many blokes pushing hard.

I mean it is a pretty far cry from Scotty McMahon attaching his GPS tracker to his dog to make sure he got his kms.

Next year we will be doing extremely well to pull ourselves out of the bottom 4. Teams just do not seem to bounce from the bottom. Except for a couple of outliers teams who finish bottom remain in the bottom 4 the following year.

mid 6 in 2023.

As to the fitness thing you said about players buying in to that aspect, I honestly cannot remember having pic in October coming out of the club and the players socials with so many blokes pushing hard.

I mean it is a pretty far cry from Scotty McMahon attaching his GPS tracker to his dog to make sure he got his kms.
Personally I've been surprised we haven't seen Blakey in the background holding a whip in some of that media.

mid 6 in 2023.

Agree on all. I think next year will be about really embedding the gameplan.

Corr and CCJ are two major chess pieces we didn't have last year structurally.

By the end of next season the game plan should be really set. Then another big preseason and they can come out and smash it.

We might not win one for a year or two afterward. But otherwise what does "Challenge meaningfully" mean? Teams have won flags with young lists. That's about as meaningful as a challenge gets.

For example (according to this) in 2016 the Bulldogs had 29 players under 25, their average age was 23 - 24 years and the average games per player was under 60. I'd say in 2023 we want to play and win finals and ideally if we don't play in the GF we at least play in a prelim. In 2023, if they are still playing, LDU, Sleevo, Bonar, CCJ (maybe Xerri and Hayden) will be in their sixth season at the club. Jy, Souv and Zooha will be in their seventh. TT will be playing his fifth season of footy along with Bailey Scott and Curtis taylor. Buckets Mckay will be playing his eighth. Ideally Cunners, JZ, Jed, LMac, Hall and Goldy will provide some real experience, maybe even Polec.

That is a good combination of talent, hardness, youth and experience.

Based on the profiles of our best young talent and drawing comparisons to the 90s group, there’s no reason why we can’t rise sharply in 2022.

In 1993: Carey = 5th season, Archer = 2nd season, Stevens = 5th season, Longmire = 6th season, Rock = 6th season, Schwass = 6th season, McKernan = 1st season (although 0 senior games).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can honestly see acceptable 2023 results being anything from finishing 10th but having been right in finals contention up until the last round but a young side running out of legs/results not going our way to getting to a prelim after going on a finals run from low in the 8.
Yeah. I think at that stage either of those extremes, or anything in between will be acceptable if its on the back of the process coming together and enough across the board improvement to point to finals the following year.

Its the state of the rest of the comp that will make the most difference I think. Port, Brions, Swans and this years GF teams are the only ones who seem to really have it together at the moment.

There's three or four other teams who might be able to offer something over the next few years as well but its no certain thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to that I think what really determines 2023 as a success or failure is stuff like:

Can the young players hold the midfield together under Jy on their own?

Has our fitness and conditioning improved significantly since the start of 2021?

Do the players have the speed, skill and composure to take the game on the way the coaches want us to?

mid 6 in 2023.

Its really hard to tell where we'll be next year in terms of bottom four. Collingwood, carlton, hawthorn and the Gold coast could all go to s**t very badly. They all finished the year poorly either on or off field whereas before and after the bye were very different for us (but we'll lose two important players from that post bye period - Dumont and Taz.)

Our lowest point seems to be between the Carlton game last year and round 6 this year.

We had a better post bye period than Adelaide, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Richmond and West Coast. It was almost on par but just behind Carlton, Freo and St Kilda. I think where we finish will be determined by their shittiness (or not) as much as anything else.

I guess we'll see what happens next year.

Further to that I think what really determines 2023 as a success or failure is stuff like:

Can the young players hold the midfield together under Jy on their own?

Has our fitness and conditioning improved significantly since the start of 2021?

Do the players have the speed, skill and composure to take the game on the way the coaches want us to?

The transition to life without Cunners and Goldy will be key - great point.

Can survive without cunners as we did for parts of 2021.
Losing goldy is really going to hurt. We don't exactly have a confident ruckman pushing the gates down for his opportunity.
No not yet but with Xerri, CCJ and Edwards all young, I think we have prepared for Goldy's retirement in 2030.

Its really hard to tell where we'll be next year in terms of bottom four. Collingwood, carlton, hawthorn and the Gold coast could all go to sh*t very badly. They all finished the year poorly either on or off field whereas before and after the bye were very different for us (but we'll lose two important players from that post bye period - Dumont and Taz.)

Our lowest point seems to be between the Carlton game last year and round 6 this year.

We had a better post bye period than Adelaide, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Richmond and West Coast. It was almost on par but just behind Carlton, Freo and St Kilda. I think where we finish will be determined by their shittiness (or not) as much as anything else.

I guess we'll see what happens next year.

The ladder isn't created equal every year.

in 2019 Sydney finished 15th with 8 wins and a % of 97.7
in 2018 they'd have finished above the 13th placed side on the same wins and %

FWIW in 2018 Brisbane finished 15th on 5 wins, Our win/loss from this year would have put us above 17th in 2018.

So yeah there is wild variation year to year and what good and bad look like.

My point is more around the setting of expectations. In my head where we are at breaks down a bit like this:

UP
2014-2016 We were going all out with what we had to see if we could get the cards to fall our way and manufacturing a flag we had little right to. Sometimes it happens, the team that just happens to be the right place right time wins one.

Down
End 2016 - end of 2020/start of 2021 this would be the downward trend. It does include not 1 but 2 dead cat bounces. the first in 2018 when we bounced knowing we had Thomas in the draft. The second was the end of 2019 where cut Scott loose and the resulting release of pressure saw Shaw appointed. The Dogs on Good Friday was the lowest ebb, not specifically the turning point but in terms of downs, that one is massive, it was a test to Noble's mettle and I think from that point we began

Recovery
Following that lowest ebb beyond the bye we clearly refocused and it really looks from the outside that we had a look in the mirror and needed to decide what we stood for. Most games (clearly not all) there were elements of improvement. It is actually funny how the narrative changed, we went rom being heralded as the worst team since Fitzroy to being the "Best Spoon side".

So here we are having been up and not good enough to down and pathetic to looking forwards with about as much hope or a core group as I have had.

How we go in 2022, I have little expectation on, bottom 4 is what it is, above it is better, I would prefer no 100 point losses I have had enough of that s**t.

I am excited for what next year brings, because at the minimum it should be growth. I am impressed by the current drive to get fitter being displayed by so many. I want to believe that they, as a collective are pushing each other to go as far as they possibly can. Because if we have a culture of that the wins are in the post its just a bit fuzzy as to when they'll arrive.

Can survive without cunners as we did for parts of 2021.
Losing goldy is really going to hurt. We don't exactly have a confident ruckman pushing the gates down for his opportunity.

We have a relatively high pick who just left a big strong successful club to come to us to get more opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back