Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the new plan is to push forward right up the ground to help and block space.

Problem with that is, when North players win the ball they have nothing to kick to.

Not sure its really helping, although Melb focused on defence before adding attacking layers and it's generally where teams should start.
Would be less of an issue if people held the ball up properly, instead of kicking blindly for distance.

I watched the game and watching Melb vs Swans now.

One obvious flaw of North today was pushing the forwards up way too high. Every time they went quick off half back/wing and actually got through, they had nothing to kick to.

This resulted in turnovers again and again which is the main reason GC had 80+ i50s.

That has to be by instruction as it keeps happening and that is simply poor coaching. Must be deflating for the players to win the contest then have nothing to kick to and the ball comes straight back.

By contrast, watching Melbourne and Sydney even if there is a stoppage in their defensive half and they win the ball, they can go fast because there is always a target to kick to that stays quite deep.

It's a pretty simple but crucial strategy that North's coaches aren't seeing for some reason.
The sad thing is I and many others here have been pointing this exact thing out since the start of 2021. It's abysmal.

I take it the drinking didn't stop after the game then?
* these ******* mouth dogs!

There are many psychological explanations for such behaviour. Yet, I have zero tolerance for mouths. Thats why I am regretting going to the Cambosis fight. Im tired of having to deal with *******s and interviews with police which, in a few weeks, I know whats coming for me and it hasn’t even ******* happened yet

I agree with what you're saying but he may have dropped some hints already.

Noble has said publicly "we are working very hard on our defence" and that we have "narrowed our focus" with the gameplan.

We can presume we are working on our defensive system, and if you look at our last three weeks we have actually shown improvement in how we defend as a team.

How that evolves into something more holistic though remains to be seen.
It's kind of my point I guess. No more 'hints'. We've conceded more inside 50s the past 3-4 weeks than we were earlier this year. He can hint at defence being worked on and improved but we need to know how he's measuring this improvement because it ain't looking great.

Those 2 have a very different win/loss ratio and circumstances!!! Put yourself in the position of JHF or any other young player….what sort of a message does that send if the coach doesn’t know if he wants to talk to you or not after another belting?

Brad Scott hardly spoke to the players directly aswell. It’s not as uncommon as one might believe.

He mentioned it in the member's Q&A, but his main focus these past few weeks has been keeping scores down.

Yet he has been trying to do this by flooding our defensive 50, which effectively results in the entire game being played in our defensive half. 103 inside 50s to 213 over the past three weeks.

Great coaching Nobes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's kind of my point I guess. No more 'hints'. We've conceded more inside 50s the past 3-4 weeks than we were earlier this year. He can hint at defence being worked on and improved but we need to know how he's measuring this improvement because it ain't looking great.

Norths opponents have still scored over 100 points the last 3 weeks anyway...so it's not even working. Margin vs GC could have been a lot more.

So the team is still getting smashed, but now fans and players don't even to get to enjoy playing some fast, exciting, attacking footy. It's all about flooding back and trying to stop the opposition scoring.

As I said before, must be deflating for the players to know the game plan their coaches are demanding gives them next to no chance of winning. Win the ball in defence, try to get things moving, kick long to half forward under pressure and there is 3 opposition defenders and no teammates to kick to...and in general there is a lot of 'just kick it long' going i50 without a lot of thought. Just not a fun style of footy to play for the players. It's making them look worse than they really are.

Norths opponents have still scored over 100 points the last 3 weeks anyway...so it's not even working. Margin vs GC could have been a lot more.

So the team is still getting smashed, but now fans and players don't even to get to enjoy playing some fast, exciting, attacking footy. It's all about flooding back and trying to stop the opposition scoring.

As I said before, must be deflating for the players to know the game plan their coaches are demanding gives them next to no chance of winning. Win the ball in defence, try to get things moving, kick long to half forward under pressure and there is 3 opposition defenders and no teammates to kick to...and in general there is a lot of 'just kick it long' going i50 without a lot of thought. Just not a fun style of footy to play for the players. It's making them look worse than they really are.
Don't forget, when you inevitably turn it over because you get the ball with someone on your arse and have nothing to kick to, the coach will go to the press conference and lament our skills and turnovers. Would be absolutely deflating.

Don't forget, when you inevitably turn it over because you get the ball with someone on your arse and have nothing to kick to, the coach will go to the press conference and lament our skills and turnovers. Would be absolutely deflating.
And to add I wouldn't be surprised if this continues if a few blokes want out. It may legitimately harm their short careers. You get rewarded for performance in this industry and are potentially losing hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more, over the life of your career if you genuinely feel game style is hamstringing your play.

Yep I do see some posters overly blame players for the teams poor skill.

Don't get me wrong, some players are just not up to it. But in situations where the skills of the whole team look bad, that's 100% on the coach.

There is a lot of talent on the list.
The poor skills are mainly a by-product of a poor gameplan and structure, where under pressure the ball carrier is second guessing and dowsnt know what to do. Players ahead aren't running to the right spots to give them an option.

You see how organised the top teams are, the ball carrier already knows what to do with the ball and where their teammates will be because it's been drilled into them. Makes disposing of the ball a hell of a lot easier.

Imagine if there was a development league where by and large players were trained up and dtched or kept over years and coaches were measured by how competent their players were when they stepped up to the "winning is everything" league where the coaches were measured by win loss. Oh for a black and white world that made sense without being inner scrote.

He mentioned it in the member's Q&A, but his main focus these past few weeks has been keeping scores down.

Yet he has been trying to do this by flooding our defensive 50, which effectively results in the entire game being played in our defensive half. 103 inside 50s to 213 over the past three weeks.

Great coaching Nobes.

It's essentially conceding defeat and doing damage control, converting what would be 100-120 point losses into ten goal losses. That's why the scorelines have been quite similar for the last month or so.

That's how awful we are. Even these 50-60 point losses are flattering us and papering over the cracks.

I think we a trying but can only maintain it at a competitive level for only about 1 quarter and a bit. We dont have the depth to cover players as they tire during games. The question also is how long do you continue with these losses until there needs to be substantial improvement. It is also not linear. There are a number of supporters who want change now which is understandable, but there needs to be some stability at some stage. Just say we get another coach and they too get little result then what ?
Just say we keep noble as stability then JHF and TT ask for trades?

As a young player I would love the fact I was playing seniors each week and being given ownership . The older players and the fact we don't have many is an issue, when the younger players tire they are not standing up , some imo have lost the desire to compete hard too. Many want young players in , well there are many under 5 year players playing now and without the senior support they are struggling in large portions of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back